Saturday, February 9, 2013

Doing Max Vinyl by Frederick Lee Brooke: Interview: Orangeberry Book Tours

 

 
 

If you could travel in a Time Machine would you go back to the past or into the future? The past for sure. I’m having too much fun creating my future, day by day (not that it’s always a walk in the park…)

If you could invite any 5 people to dinner who would you choose? I could imagine trying to coax a few stories out of Samuel Beckett over a glass of Rioja, and if Albert Camus and Marcel Proust were there it would be even more interesting. I would probably have to brush up my French before the dinner. I would not invite James Joyce, because he’s such a downer, don’t you think? But I’d definitely have Albert Einstein along, as well as Stephen Hawking. They’d get along, wouldn’t they? The party would get awfully stuffy with all these men, so I would also like to have Reese Witherspoon there, just to liven things up for Einstein (and me). And if I could invite a couple more women, why not add Virginia Woolf and Grace Kelly? I see Grace hitting it off with Reese, and it might be entertaining to watch the sparks fly between Virginia Woolf and Camus.

If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you? A floppy hat, because I like a little sun but not too much. A box of DTBs (dead tree books, for those who don’t know) to tide me over till I’m rescued. And a satellite phone with full battery power with which I could call for my rescue once I got tired of being off the grid (three months? Six months?)

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Mint chip.

If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose? Abraham Lincoln. He was a good writer.

One food you would never eat? Okra. I’ve tried to make friends with it, but it’s kind of slimy. Maybe I just haven’t found the right recipe.

Pet Peeves? I don’t like the word “no,” closely followed by the word “can’t.” I don’t get along with people who use those words a lot. It’s like an allergy.

Skittles or M&Ms? M&Ms.

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book. Either one of my books will make you laugh out loud – guaranteed.

What was your favorite book when you were a child/teen? I was definitely a “Charlotte’s Web” fanatic. I also loved every book Beverly Cleary ever wrote. “Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret” was a shocker for me. Excuse me, you wanted one title? Are you crazy?

Is there a song you could list as the theme song for your book or any of your characters? It’s you again, you want me to give you one song? ONE song? How about a little representative list of Annie Ogden theme songs:

“Never Going Back Again” by Fleetwood Mac

“Kiss” by Prince

“Little Wing” by Jimi Hendrix

“Give Me One Reason” by Tracy Chapman

“I’ll Take You There” by the Staple Singers

“Every Breath You Take” by the Police

What’s one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors? Attach butt securely to chair. Oft-quoted, but no less true for that. I cry for all the great books that never got written because writers got distracted by alcohol, or the good life, or whatever. Writing is hard work, and there is no substitute for the endless revising that we do.



 
 
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Mystery and Thriller / Horror
Rating – PG13
Earth first. Okay, maybe second. Third? She’ll KILL you!
Max Vinyl’s type of success story can only happen in America. Rising from humble beginnings, he has reached the height of the computer recycling racket. Problem is, he’s using Lake Michigan as his own personal profit center. Even that wouldn’t have been a problem if his environmentalist girlfriend Tris hadn’t found out his dirty secret. And while Max is devastated by his love crashing down around him, he’s about to learn that the rage of a woman scorned packs far more firepower and potential for destruction than he had ever imagined.
Iraq War veteran Annie Ogden has spent three tormented months living in a cabin alone trying to re-discover her purpose in life. When two of Max’s thugs threaten Annie’s sister, she is dragged into his corrupt world in an unwitting alliance with the environmentalist, Tris. Which is really lousy news for Max. Will he hold up under the coordinated attacks of two furious women? As things spin completely out of control and complications mount, it’s all Max can do to stay one step ahead until it’s all he can do to stay alive!
A farce full of hysterics and chicanery, Frederick Lee Brooke’s first installment of the Annie Ogden mysteries is an incisive examination of corporate lunacy, greed and modern disconnection. Having received multiple four and five-star reviews on Amazon, Doing Max Vinyl: An Annie Ogden Mystery is loaded with razor-sharp dialogue, ingenious plotting and so much fun it should be illegal!


 
From Reviews on Amazon and Goodreads
“I have read a great many Indie books recently and every once in a while you find a true gem. DOING MAX VINYL is one of those gems.”
“Read this book–you won’t be disappointed. BTW, I may just add Annie Ogden to my five-top-people-to-have-lunch-with list!”
“I particularly enjoyed two of the male characters, Ike and Tranny, a couple of ex-cons that work for Max Vinyl. The way that they fought like an old married couple as they dealt with the plot’s unexpected twists had me in stitches throughout the book.” 
“Like Hiassen, who writes from an abiding affection for South Florida, Brooke’s satire of reckless polluting is rooted in a love and knowledge of Chicago and Lake Michigan.” 
“Annie Ogden, a war veteran home after 3 tours of duty in Iraq, is trying to find her place in life. A self-sufficient, strong willed woman, she takes matters into her own hands to see justice achieved. The topic of returning veterans and their struggle to fit back into society is handled in a genuine, unique and passionate way.”


 
 
I write books because I love playing with language, on the one hand, and creating characters and seeing what crazy things they will do if you set them free. I’ve spent more than 20 years living in different European countries such as France, Germany and Switzerland. I speak French, German and Italian, and I’ve been learning Turkish for the last five years just for fun.
My books are mysteries, for lack of a better word. Doing Max Vinyl is about a computer recycling con man, while Zombie Candy is about a serial adulterer who happens to love zombie movies. In both books, Annie Ogden, a recently returned Iraq War vet who is having trouble adjusting to civilian life, gets personally involved in taking down these world-class jerks. I like a book with a good dose of humor, and the humor can come from the absurd situations people find themselves in. The world we live in is an absurd place, and you can either laugh or cry about it.
When I’m not writing I’m usually reading. I like to write book reviews. Of course I love it when people review my books, too. I like to cook and sometimes post recipes on my blog. Zombie Candy contains most of the recipes in the book in an annex at the end. I also like to hike and travel and learn about other cultures.
Connect with Frederick Lee Brooke on Facebook and Twitter
Website http://www.frederickleebrooke.com/





OFFICIAL TOUR SCHEDULE

Next Few Stops

10th February - Book Review at Simon Jenner’s blog
11th February – Author Interview at A Blue Million Books
12th February – Book Review at Promiscuous Diva
13th February - Twitter Blast with OB Book Tours 


 
 

No comments: