Ryan Shorten was born in the early 1970's and grew up in Southern Ontario Canada. From a young age he was introduced to the world of Fantasy Fiction by the likes of Tolkien, Pratchett, Brooks, and Salvatore.
His love of reading turned into a passion for writing shortly after finishing his post secondary education at Ryerson University in Toronto. While studying Media Arts at Ryerson, his visual imagination was further developed through the use of film, video and digital imaging.
His recently published first full length novel 'The Circle of Tivedon' is Book One of a planned trilogy.
Attending Tivedon should have been the most exciting time in Jayl's young life. However, when inexplicable things begin to darken the hallowed halls of of the school and he's accused of murder, Jayl finds himself thrust into a quest to save himself, his home, and ultimately all of Tiertyn itself.
This book is Clean.
10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Circle of Tivedon
by Ryan Shorten
1. This novel was a true ‘labor of love’ in that it took over 10 years to write.
2. After comments from an Editor, some of the original character’s names were changed (new name/old name: Myah/Sylle, Terra/Tuleve, Rishi/Xitath, Kreven/Zelkiv, Brone/Chalak, Calum/Cereth)
3. The very first draft was over 125,000 words. Final edit is just over 78,000 words.
4. In the first draft, all major characters had their own introductory chapter. After editing, only the two of the main characters are introduced (together) in their own chapter.
5. Before writing a single word of the book, the map of Tiertyn was drawn first.
6. The cover art of the book was done by an artist in the United Kingdom.
7. The city of ‘Brant-Fiord’ in the book was named after ‘Brantford’ which is the birthplace of the author.
8. A good portion of the book was written in airport terminals and hotel rooms. (The author travelled quite extensively for work during the writing.)
9. The strong female characters in the book are inspired from the author’s own family. Namely his mother and wife.
10. Somewhat modeled after the ‘Lord of the Rings’, the story of ‘The Circle of Tivedon’ will be set over three books (no, it won’t take 20 years to write the next two J).
January 7 - Love. Pray. Read. *Excerpt, author spotlight
- I am a Reader, Not a Writer *Guest Post and International Kindle giveaway
January 8 - Fangirl Hostess *Excerpt
January 9 - Megz Madd Readz *Review
January 11 - Book-A-Holic *Review, Paperback US/CAN giveaway and excerpt
January 12 - Fangirl Hostess *Review and Kindle International giveaway
- Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews *Top Ten and excerpt
January 14 - Bookwyrming Thoughts *Excerpt
- Sher A. Hart: Writing as Art *Interview and International kindle giveaway
January 15 - YA Reviews and News *Review
January 16 - Mom with a Kindle *Interview, International Kindle giveaway and excerpt
January 17 - tHe crooKed worD *Review
January 18 - N/A
January 19 - Howling Turtle *Guest Post
January 21 - Forget About TV, Grab a Book *Review and Giveaway
- S.A. Larsen * Interview and giveaway