Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Returning for Valentines by Victoria Pinder: Review, Guest Post: RABT Tour Stop




Reading Addiction Blog Tours
 


How to Sell Your First Novel

I saw this and my immediate answer was ‘never give up.’ I sold Two Weeks in Miami to Corvallis Press, despite everything I did to sabotage myself from achieving that dream of publication.

First I’m not blowing smoke. I received well over a 100, closer to 150 rejections for my first novel.  Nicolas and Phoebe have a great story to me, but no one else seemed to agree with that one.  The second book in that series is even better, and the third is so much fun… no one’s ever seen it because I never sold the first novel, ever.

I wrote Two Weeks in Miami in between that series writing to write a simple contemporary romance without all the extra fantasy stuff, but never tried to sell it. Then after more rejection from everywhere, I decided in July 2012 at RWA Nationals to sell a different story. I pitched. I received more rejections, but somehow someone liked it too. And the rejections for this one read ‘we can’t fit this in our schedule’ not ‘horrible, simple story no one would read’ types of rejections, like the previous grouping.

Then what do I do after talking to Corvallis Press about possibly selling the novel, I lost their number. Sigh, I have an Iphone, so you would think no worries. But nope, I had too many voicemails because I never delete until forced to delete. In a distracted moment, I deleted all.

Luckily, the editor called back, or else I wouldn’t be writing this up as my blog topic. I’ve not sold on query, yet, though I still have hope. I don’t have an agent, yet, but when the time or the place is right, this will fall in line too. But I’ve sold my novel now, with options for more.

So my tip to anyone looking to sell is to not get discouraged. I tell my chapter mates, sometimes this publishing thing is like match.com. You have to go through a lot of blind dates with people who don’t like you before you find a decent frog you might want to kiss. Though now that Two Weeks is published, I likely have had more success with publishing than with online dates.

Wish I knew the future or what’s best for everyone, other than never get discouraged and if you fail more than you win, you’ll still be okay. Not everyone has to like you, just readers who enjoy a story you wish to tell. The other groups might be having fun on someone else’s story, and that’s okay. There are more than one book at the store these days.

Writers reading this… keep plugging away. I’ll go rewrite Nicolas and Phoebe’s story again, but I have more stories to tell.

Readers reading this… motivation helps us all, and if my 150 failures makes you  shake your head, I understand entirely. Someday you will see that story, one way, shape or form.

Hugs.

Victoria Pinder

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Contemporary Romance Novella
Title: Returning to Valentine
Author: Victoria Pinder
Date Published: 1/1/13



Nathan loves Beth, though he’s never believed she loved him. He left to get over her, and on Valentine’s Day he decided to risk everything, including his heart, and tell her.

Beth lost her heart to Nathan Sommers years ago. After a night at a friend’s wedding, he took off. She tried to move on, with a guy who she couldn’t love, but that didn’t work out. Now that it’s Valentine’s Day, she’s determined to go out and find her true love. Speed dating is better than no dating.

Why would Nathan show up now? Can she believe in love and happy ever after? And what will his mother do next to her if she lets him in?

8000 word novella



 
3.5 Stars


This was an engaging and entertaining short story. Beth is finally convinced to take a chance on Valentine’s Day via an evening of speed dating in the hope of finding someone special.  Dumped a year ago following a single night of bliss by the man she had secretly been in love with for years, Beth is giving up pining for what she can never have.

Nathan knew he has to try one more time to convince Beth he loves her.  So he has returned determined to try one last time.  With the intervention of Nate’s cousin and Beth’s mother, Nate signs up for the Speed Dating event also.  He has eight minutes to make his case.

This was a cute little read that I enjoyed, but felt it needed a bit more tension and conflict.  I also would have liked to have had Beth pay a little more attention to the other gentleman at the event - at least superficially.  That could have set up the opportunity for some humorous bits and would have lightened the story, especially since she does not hear the big revelation from Chris until late in the evening.  Personally, I feel there will be plenty of conflict ahead for this couple thanks in large part to Nathan’s domineering mother. 

Reviewed by Laurie-J
   
 
 
 
Author Bio:

Victoria Pinder also writing under Greta Buckle grew up in Irish Catholic Boston before moving to the Miami sun. She’s worked in engineering, then became a lawyer. After realizing she hates clients, she became a high school teacher. Teaching is fun, but writing is a passion. She wrote one hundred and one fan fiction stories online before deciding to transition into writing her own stories. Never ask her to republish her fan stories from age eleven- horribly written stories of princesses. Victoria dreams of writing professionally, where her barista can make her coffee and a walk on the beach, can motivate her tales. Theseus story came to her when she was a freshman in high school as her English teacher, the nun, told her how life was hard and tragedy teaches lessons. The sci fi stories come from years of Star Trek and Star Wars fandom. Victoria’s love of writing has kept her centered and focused. How is she crazy? The voices in her head are characters in novels and she’s not insane.
 
Contact Links






January 28 - Reading Addiction Blog Tours - Meet and Greet

January 28 - My Cozie Corner - Review

January 29 -Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews - Review/Guest Post

January 29 - Melina's Book Blog - Review

January 30 - Inside BJ's Head - Review

January 30 -The Muse Unleashed - Review

January 31 - Andi's Book Reviews - Review/Interview

January 31 - Boyfriend Bookmark Blog - Review
 
February 1 - My Bookmark Blog - Review







*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising*
 
Post a Comment