Monday, January 21, 2013

Not Complicated by Eve Summers : Interview and excerpt

 




How did you start your writing career?

Hi, I’m Eve Summers. My writing career started when a crime fiction author turned to writing romances and didn’t want genre-confusion for her books. And so, Eve Summers was born on a hot night in 2008, with her first romance title, A Slave Of My Own Desire.


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?


BC (Before Children) I traveled to more countries than I could name without boring you. It’s probably easier to say where I haven’t been, and Japan is one of those places. I would seriously love to visit Japan in the spring, with all the cherry trees in blossom.
 

This is how I imagine it: whole streets lined with white trees, the petals whirring in the air like snowflakes, collecting under my feet in fragrant clouds of wedding confetti. The world is silent, magical, holy.
 

The reality, I’m sure is not nearly as romantic. But hey, I have a dream, you know? J 

 

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Oh, totally. If you look at my titles (http://redrosepublishing.com/books/index.php?manufacturers_id=295), you’ll see how many are set in exotic locations: Fiji, Tahiti, Thailand… I even have a Cruise Liner Romantic Adventure series, which is my favourite, because the books take me back to the time my family and I took a nine-day cruise of the South Pacific for my birthday. Imagine, nine days of no cooking, no cleaning, no school runs - nothing to do except decide in which restaurant to have your next meal and which cocktail to order. 

 

Tell us about your current release.

Not Complicated (http://redrosepublishing.com/books/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=295&products_id=1299) is a short story about a school reunion. After five years of no contact, Abigail Franklin wants only one thing from Luke Taylor: half an hour of his time to see the son he doesn’t know he has.
 

And yes, it does have travel in it!

 

Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?


Funny you should ask. On Page One of Not Complicated, there’s this sentence:

 

Facebook is weird. It lets you list your favorite movies (Casablanca) and music (Snow Patrol) and books (Joshilyn Jackson), it shows updates about your day (another late night at the office, Christopher was asleep by the time I got home), and yet it fails to capture the very essence that makes you - you.

 

Now, ok, this is the story’s character talking. But, predictably, I couldn’t switch off my own essence in time, and my favourite author slipped into the narrator’s voice. I truly do idolize Joshilyn Jackson, both as a person (a busy mother of two whose blogs are hilarious) and as a writer (NYT bestselling author).

 

BTW, I do like Casablanca. It’s in my Top 10 movies, though probably not the Top 3. And I can name a lot of great music before I get to Snow Patrol - it’s just that I was trying to be current. 

 

What would we find under your bed?


Dust bunnies, LOL. Also a real cat who likes tiny squishy places. And photo albums because there’s no space for them on the shelves. Some forgotten dreams, a flashlight and… let me check… a chewed picture book we couldn’t part with when the kids moved onto Percy Jackson. Now, those bite marks… do they match a toddler’s mouth or a puppy’s? Bad Pixie, bad, bad dog!
 

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

When I go to a restaurant, I’d like to eat something I can’t (or can’t be bothered to) make at home. I’m a good cook, and happy to experiment - much to my children’s annoyance, so restaurants that can dazzle me are few. One such place is The Grove, and if you don’t live in Auckland, New Zealand, you should move here just for this restaurant. The chef really knows how to combine flavours and he pays attention to food texture: imagine the silkiness milk-fed goat ravioli eaten on a crispy sweetbread, or the explosion of tastes as you dessert on Adriatic Figs, orange waffle, whipped custard, walnut, honey and thyme….



Not Complicated
Eve Summers 
 
 
After five years of no contact, Abigail Franklin wants only one thing from Luke Taylor: half an hour of his time to see the son he doesn’t know he has.

 
 
Facebook is weird. It lets you list your favorite movies (Casablanca) and music (Snow Patrol) and books (Joshilyn Jackson), it shows updates about your day (another late night at the office, Christopher was asleep by the time I got home), and yet it fails to capture the very essence that makes you—you.
Growing up, I wore homemade clothes because my parents couldn’t afford labels or even store-bought dresses. It made me feel inferior, but also loved beyond belief, because every garment I wore had been lovingly designed, cut and sewn by my mom. Where do I write that on Facebook?
My short-term goal is to work saner hours, my dream is for my son to get to know his dad, and my secret fantasy involves a happily-ever-after with Luke. Facebook remains totally oblivious of all that.
I choose not to confirm Luke as a friend. A Facebook friendship would be so much less than what we once had.
That leaves me one option: I have to go to the reunion.


Eve Summers believes that words are the greatest aphrodisiac, and the best lover is the one who will play with your mind… though doesn’t hurt if he’s tall, dark in the expensive-chocolate way and extremely handsome.

 
 
 
Follow the Tour!
 
January

21 – Interview @ Laurie’s Non-Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews

22 – Interview @ Krista Ames

23 – Review @ Reading it All Reviews

25 – Spotlight @ Sarah Carr

 
 
 

2 comments:

Yvonne Eve said...

Thank you for having me, Laurie!

JaneB said...

Hi Eve, i love how you combine your own choice in music, movies etc into your characters. Now you said you were a good cook, so have you written a book where a character is into cooking/or just eating great food?

Jane