Friday, January 11, 2013

No Time for Love by JB Miller: Interview: PUYB Tour Stop

 


 

Welcome to my blog!  Thanks for this chance to learn a little about you.  How did you start your writing career?

 

My writing career began in fifth grade, although I did not know it at the time. I have always loved to sing and rhyme and jot down my ditties in a book, adding poems and limericks over the years based on whatever phase or stage I was going through. Several of my sonnets were published and I sold my first book based on one of my longer entries. The Perfect Gift by J.B. Miller is still available. Other poems have earned awards and Christopher’s Song was produced as a single that aired on the radio several years ago.


Tell us about your current release.


No Time For Love is a romantic comedy. It is about a young widow who has no time for anything, least of all love. She manages her three kid’s demanding schedules, exercises at crazy hours to preserve her less than perfect figure and writes catchy advertising jingles to pay for the mortgage. To the outside world, she seems to have it all - except for a husband. Who has time for that? Besides, hers died unexpectedly five years ago and she’s still not over it. A chance occurrence with a particular jingle finds Chatham on a bi-coastal roller coaster that she can’t seem to put the breaks on. Will the man who has always secretly loved her finally have his chance to ride along? Or will the very handsome foreigner on the other side of the country claim her wounded heart? At some point she has to choose which path is for her - or has it been there all along? I had such fun writing this book, which took me a few years to complete.

 

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

 

Yes, I love to travel and bring new locations within reach to my readers. In No Time For Love, the main character travels between San Francisco and New York. I have lived in both places to it was easy to bring these fantastic cities to my readers from a local perspective.

I am working on a new book that crosses continents.


 

In the non-fiction genre, my book HIRED! was just released. I wrote HIRED! to help job seekers around the world. My day job is as the President of an Executive Search firm so I have a lot of experience helping people find work. My next release is a compilation of short stories that combine truth and fiction surrounding mysteries such as The Bohemian Club, The Masons, The Fountain of Youth and other interesting wonderments. I am so excited to release True Fiction in 2013. I am also working on another romantic comedy proposal for my publisher.


Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?


I have a direct relative who is a top selling Author. His books are in every bookstore, airport and big box store around the world. I am very proud of him and aspire to reach similar heights, although he writes thrillers and I write romantic comedies, mysteries and non-fiction.

 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

 

I am a pointed example of a writer who must employ discipline. My days are very busy and I could easily not find time to write. However, I make time. I try to write every day, yet I am not always successful. During periods where demands preclude me from a daily routine, I block out long stretches to catch up on my writing. My favorite time to write is at my home in front of the fireplace. Sometimes I get up very early, grab a cup of coffee and a blanket and write before the house awakes. Other times it is late into the night. I set a goal of completion for a book or article and somehow I meet my goals, even if I have to piece my writing time together. I tend to be efficient when it comes to managing my time, so somehow I get it all done.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

 

Writer’s block is annoying. When this happens, which is usually during a pivotal point in the book, I simply put the manuscript down and go running. For some reason movement helps me work through ideas and issues. I have a conversation between characters and the story unfolds. If that doesn’t work, I will have a confidante or editing partner read my book and give me their perspective. This strategy usually unlocks the block and I can complete the story.


How do you describe your writing style?


I write as though I am having a conversation. My chapters are usually short because I want the story to move along quickly. I also love to write in the first person. While writing workshops say this is difficult, this style flows for me. I wrote a story that I may (or may not) include in my True Fiction Volume One Series. It is pretty raw and mostly true. You can download it on Amazon. The story is called Tweeker and I wrote it under my pen name, Chatham Thor. I am sure you can imagine what it is about.
 

 
 
 

Chatham Ross has no time – for anything, least of all love. She manages her three kid’s demanding schedules, exercises at crazy hours to preserve her less than perfect figure and writes catchy advertising jingles to pay for the mortgage. To the outside world, she seems to have it all – except for a husband. Who has time for that? Besides, hers died unexpectedly five years ago and she’s still not over it. A chance occurrence with a particular jingle finds Chatham on a bi-coastal roller coaster that she can’t seem to put the breaks on. Will the man who has always secretly loved her finally have his chance to ride along? Or will the very handsome foreigner on the other side of the country claim her wounded heart? At some point she has to choose which path is for her – or has it been there all along?

 




 

J.B. Miller is a published author of fiction, non-fiction, award-winning poetry, music, and numerous articles and blogs. No Time For Love is her first novel. She resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and three children.


 
 
 
 
Next Few Stops 
 
Monday, January 14
Book Review at My Devotional Thoughts
Tuesday, January 15
Wednesday, January 16
Thursday, January 17
Book Review & Interview at Melina’s Book Blog
 
 
 
 
 
 

Godiva Chocolate and Paperback Copy of No Time for Love
 
 
 




 

Post a Comment