Monday, January 28, 2013

Dinner at Deadman's by C J West: Review, Excerpt and Guest Post: Partners in Crime Tour Stop







One Character I Didn’t Have to Research


Earlier this year I set out to create a hero for a new series. I wanted him to be different from my other protagonists. Someone likeable. Someone quirky and in touch with what’s going on in the world. Someone rugged who can handle himself in an alley.

In the last two years I’ve been spending a lot more time with my family and at some point I realized my brother was the guy for the job. He’s a riot in person and so is his wife. He’s a total redneck with quirks that will keep readers entertained. The thing that sealed it for me was his work with recovering addicts.

My brother works in construction and maintenance. In the last several years he has been working on programs that provide housing to recovering addicts and others that need transitional help. Not only does he work on these programs, but his crew is made up of guys leaving the programs. I worked alongside these guys for a few days and got to know them while we worked. Their stories helped me infuse my characters with the real life struggles addicts face.

This all sounds like research, and it was. If you are still wondering about the character I didn’t have to research for this book, it’s me.

As the story came along, my brother had two sidekicks, both recovering addicts who proved quite unreliable. In times when he couldn’t turn to his crew for help, who better than a brother who works from home and is always available day or night?

I bet this sounds really strange to some of you, but for me it made a lot of sense. I’ve been really engaged with my readers ever since the Myspace days. I’ve held all sorts of live and online events, always trying to give my readers a chance to interact with me. Making myself a character fit the story and it also gave my loyal fans a chance to know me on a more personal basis without distracting new readers from the story.

In Dinner At Deadman’s, Lorado often turns to his little brother, Chris. (That’s my real name.) Being the author and a character in the novel gave me a chance to have some fun, so I did a few interesting things with my character.

Everything I say in the book is true. Since I wrote the book, of course I know everything that happens past, present, and future. It’s cool to be omniscient and my character really enjoyed it in the book. I will caution you though, sometimes what I say may be true in a literal sense and still be misleading.

The other interesting thing about being in a book with my brother is that our relationship comes out on the page. He knows me and so the things he says about my past are all true. He gives some very personal observations about my life and who I am and that was an opportunity to really share with fans.

I hope you’ll check out my role in Dinner At Deadman’s.









Book Details
Genre: Mystery
Published by: 22 West Books
Publication Date: November 2012
Number of Pages: 298
Purchase Links:  Amazon





5 STARS


This book was such a surprisingly delightful find with its fresh mix of unusual story line and big bear of well-off contractor with a talent for getting into trouble while dispensing well-deserved justice –Lorado Martin style – to the bad guys.  The mystery is tantalizing, laid out masterfully so that by the end all the little pieces line up magically to a completely satisfying ending.
Did I mention that I love Lorado’s “take charge” personality?  He’s a funny guy, too.  Always willing to help a friend; he’s also been around the block enough times to know when he’s being fed a line.  I got a kick out of the ways he would step up to correct problems.
This is a story that caught me off guard. I zipped through it because I became so invested in the tale and the characters that I did not want to come up from the mesmerizing enchantment cast over me.  This is a mystery that abounds with humor, excitement, and believable characters.  It transported me; giving me a glimpse of lives totally alien from my own; ensnared me into sympathizing with and relating to a fringe society of people.   I read to be entertained and this book surely delivered in that arena, but there is so much else here to consider, too.
This book was given to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.
Reviewed by Laurie-J 








C.J. West is the author of seven suspense novels including The End of Marking Time and Sin and Vengeance, which was optioned into development for film by Beantown Productions, LLC (screenplay by Marla Cukor).

C.J. blogs at www.cjwestkills.wordpress.com. You can also find him at www.22wb.com or at www.facebook.com/cjwestfans.









Next Stops

Jan 28 Review by Laurie @ Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews
Jan 28 Guest Post by Heather @ Proud Book Nerd
Jan 29 Guest Post by Nadine @ ScrapBlog
Jan 29 Review & Giveaway by Vicky @ Deal Sharing Aunt
Jan 31 Guest Post by Gina @ Hott Books



1 comment:

CMash said...

Fantastic review and post. Well done! Thank you!