Thursday, January 24, 2013

Capital Bride by Cynthia Woolf: Interview, Tens List, Excerpt: Black Lion Tour Stop

 





Hello Cynthia and welcome back. I’m thrilled to have this opportunity to host you and find out a little more about you. Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I’d love to visit England, Scotland and Ireland.  Most of the historical novels that I like are set there and I’d love to see some of the castles, Stonehenge, the Globe Theater and so many more things.

 

Have I attended a high school reunion?  What did I learn?

 

I attended my ten year reunion.  It was fun to see how much people had changed.  I had lost a lot of weight so many people didn’t recognize me.  The football player jock who wouldn’t give me the time of day is now the balding, beer bellied, creepy guy you try to avoid.  And now he hits on me.  EUWWWW!

 

What are your favorite TV shows?

 

NCIS, NCIS – Los Angeles, Bones, Blue Bloods, Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Rizzoli and Isles, Hawaii 5-0, Castle.  Are we seeing a trend here??

 

Plotter or Pantser?  Why?

 

I’m a definite pantser.  I’ve tried and tried to plot.  I still take classes and attend workshops on different ways to plot a novel.  So far none of them have stuck.  Partially, I think, because by the time I get the book plotted, it’s no longer new to me.  It’s been written so what’s the point of filling in the spaces and writing it again.

 

Does your significant other read your stuff?

 

Yes, my husband reads my books.  The first time he finished one he cried.  That was Centauri Dawn and he said “I never knew how talented you are.”  It was such a wonderful feeling for him to like my books, I cried with him.

 

He’s really good at catching the little things like missing commas but also in seeing a line that doesn’t quite convey the thought behind it or that can be put a better way.  So far we haven’t had to deal with him not liking one of my books but I’m sure that will happen someday.  I’m not sure how well I’ll handle that.  But well wait and see what happens.

 

Do  you have critique partners?  Beta readers?

 

I have five wonderful critique partners.  They are Michele Callahan, CJ Snyder, Karen Docter, Jennifer Zane and Kally Jo Surbeck.  They are all published authors.  Each one brings a different skill set to our critiquing. 

Kally Jo Surbeck is also a freelance editor and does my editing for me. 
 
I have several beta readers and their feedback has been invaluable in seeing plot holes.






Unexpectedly homeless, un-wed mother Sarah Johnson has few options.  They could go live with her cousin William, but Sara believes there’s something untoward about his offer and it leaves her feeling uncomfortable.  She's qualified to be a governess, but no one will have her because she wasn't married when she had her precious MaryAnn.  Matchmaker & Co could be her salvation as mail-order-bride to Mr. John Atwood. 

Single father, John Atwood, is raising his daughter the best he can in the wilds of the Colorado Territory but knows he needs help.  No woman he knows wants to take on the raising of his daughter who hasn't spoken since she saw her mother brutally murdered during a bank robbery.  Can Sarah, John and their two daughters overcome their pasts and find happiness together?
 
Book Information

 

Release Date: December 10, 2012

Genre: Romance, Western

Formats: Kindle/Nook/other eBook formats
 
 



New York City    April 10, 1867
 

On the other side of the door was her last resort.  Either this or prostitution and prostitution was not a choice.  She couldn’t raise MaryAnn in that environment, nor if truth be told, could she lower herself to live like that.  At least this way there would be some stability in her little girl’s life.
    Sarah took a deep breath, turned the knob, and walked through the door to a better future for her daughter and, if she were lucky, for herself.
    The office was small and precisely kept.  A single desk with a straight, high backed wooden chair, one in front and one behind, sat in the middle of the room.   She’d noticed the flowered curtains were open on the way in, curtains tied to the side.  The small area was flooded with dazzling afternoon light.  The walls were whitewashed and the desk well organized.  There were several tables with neat piles of files along one wall.  The other wall held several rows of pictures of women and men.  None smiling, as that was the way pictures were taken, but all appeared to be wedding pictures.  Below each picture was a small brass place with the names of the bride and groom and the date of the wedding.
     A small, woman in her late thirties with fiery red hair, sat behind the desk.  When Sarah got closer she saw gorgeous dark blue eyes behind the wire rimmed glasses perched on the end of her nose.  Her eyes were so dark a blue they could almost be called violet.  They were striking and clear, honesty shone from them along with a “no nonsense” attitude.
    “May I help you?” the woman asked.
    “Um.  Yes.  My name is Sarah Johnson.  I saw your advertisement for mail order brides.”
    The woman looked Sarah over, taking in her clothes, her hands clasped in front of her and ending at her face.
“First, let me introduce myself.  I’m Margaret Selby and I own Matchmaker & Company.  Please, sit down.  You’re older than the women we usually have.  You’re also better dressed and don’t appear to be hungry.  What would bring someone like you to my door?”
    “I’ve been living with my great aunt.  She passed away suddenly two weeks ago and the lawyer says I need to find other lodgings.  My cousin, William, has inherited everything except a small stipend she left for me.  William is selling everything.  MaryAnn and I have nowhere else to go.”
    “MaryAnn?”
    “My daughter.”
    “So, you are a widow?”
    Now was not the time to be less than truthful, if she wanted this woman’s help.  “No.”
    “I see.  How old are you, Miss Johnson?”
    “I’m twenty-eight.”
    “And your daughter?”
    “MaryAnn is five.”
    “Tell me, Miss Johnson, how did you come to find yourself with child at age twenty-two without being married?  Surely you knew how those things happened by that age.”

 

 
 

Top Ten Actors to play my hero

1.     Chris Hemsworth

2.     Brad Pitt

3.     Matt Damon

4.     Tom Selleck

5.     Mark Harmon

6.     Liam McIntyre

7.     Dustin Clare

8.     Robert Downy, Jr

9.     Bradley Cooper

10.     Mark Ruffalo

 
 


Cynthia Woolf was born in Denver, Colorado and raised in the mountains west of Golden.  She spent her early years running wild around the mountain side with her friends.
 
She worked her way through college and went to work full time straight after graduation and there was little time to write.  Then in 1990 she and two friends started a round robin writing a story about pirates.  She found that she missed the writing and kept on with other stories.  In 1992 she joined Colorado Romance Writers and Romance Writers of America. 
 
 
Unfortunately, the loss of her job demanded the she not renew her memberships and her writing stagnated for many years. In 2001, she saw an ad in the paper for a writers conference being put on by CRW and decided she'd attend.  One of her favorite authors, Catherine Coulter, was the keynote speaker.  Cynthia was lucky enough to have a seat at Ms. Coulter's table at the luncheon and after talking with her, decided she needed to get back to her writing.  She rejoined both CRW and RWA that day and hasn't looked back.

 

Author & Book Links



 Website Link: http://www.cynthiawoolf.com

 
 
Comment on this post for a chance to win a
digital copy of Capital Bride or a $5 Starbucks Gift card.
Two Winners will be chosen by the author. 
 Be sure to include your email addy in the comment. 
 
 
 

 
 


 
Tour Schedule


Jan 21 - Black Lion Tour Blog/introductionand Top Ten List
Jan 24 - Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews/interview and Top Ten List
Jan 28 - Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer/guest post and Top Ten List
Feb 5 - MK McClintock Blog/Top Ten List
Feb 6 - Reviews by Molly (18+ site)/review
Feb 8 - Sniffer Walk Books (18+ site)/review and Top Ten List
Feb 10 - A Novel Idea LIVE/live interview
Feb 11 - A Novel Idea LIVE Blog/guest post
Feb 13 - My Devotional Thoughts/review and Top Ten List
Feb 14 - The Bunny's Review/review
Feb 15 - Black Lion Tour Blog/wrap-up



15 comments:

woolfcindy said...

Hi Laurie. Thanks so much for having me today. I wanted to remind everyone that I'm giving away a copy of Capital Bride to one lucky commentor and a $5 Starbucks card to another. To be entered they must leave their email in the comment.

Angela Adams said...

Great cover! Good luck with the release.

babette said...

Great interview! I also love Big Bang Theory, probably the only show I'll stop writing to watch.

I really like the premise of your book. Both of them having a daughter gives it a nice twist. Good luck!

MK said...

Thank you for hosting today Laurie!

Cynthia--Blue Bloods and Castle are two of my favorite shows, though I only "discovered" Castle last week. Great interview. Oh and you can't ever go wrong casting Tom Selleck in a western. :)

morgan said...

Hi Cynthia,

Sounds like you have a winner husband and a winner book. Keep writing, and I'll keep reading.

woolfcindy said...

Thanks Morgan. My hubby is a definite keeper. :-)

woolfcindy said...

Thanks for stopping by Babette. I'm glad you like the twist.

woolfcindy said...

Thanks Angela. Glad you like the cover. I'm a little partial to it myself. :-)

woolfcindy said...

Thanks for stopping by MK. I just love Tom Selleck.

Norah Wilson said...

I've got this one on my Kindle, Cindy! Can't resist a mail order bride. Or a cover like that!

woolfcindy said...

Thanks Norah. I hope you like the book.

Josette Schaber said...

Chris Hemsworth is my number 1 for any hero... so good call ;)

evanlea at gmail dot com

woolfcindy said...

Thanks Josette. He's a new find for me but Oo la la, what a find.

Lyn Horner said...

Love your cover, Cynthia! and the story is very appealing. I like that your heroine is a tad older and that she's willing to take a huge risk in order to give her daughter a secure life. My kind of gal!

Lyn Horner
texasdruids@hotmail.com

M. R. Cornelius said...

Hi Laurie,
Testing your advice here. (Oh, and by the way, I love The Mentalist.)