Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bombshell by Mike Faricy: Interview: PUYB Tour Stop

 


 

How did you start your writing career?

I was writing free lance for a number of different publications and I got picked up by The Irish Gazette. I wrote a number of articles for them and while doing that it became obvious there was a story rattling around in my head. I started toying with a novel and the next thing I knew I was extremely serious about writing a one. My first few books were all written in the dark, before sunrise or after sunset. I continually groveled at the feet of the publishing world and never received so much as a nod, in fact quite the opposite. I’m describing an industry that is essentially in a state of turmoil and has been for the past few years. With the advent of e-books and viable indie publishing the traditional publishing industry has been slow to adapt. In fact, there has been a real effort to circle the wagons and then dig a moat around them. That doesn’t seem to be working all that well. My story is just one of millions that have sent writers willingly into the self publishing world. I led the league in rejections from publishers. I would send fifty or sixty query letters out to publishers groveling in the hopes they would give me at least a glance. I had to enclose a self addressed stamped envelope so they would send me my rejection notice. Then one day a query letter was returned to me from a big six New York publisher unopened. Across the front of my envelope was a stamp in purple ink that read ‘Return to Sender’. Hand written on the back of the envelope was a note that read “This does not fit our needs at this time”, they never even made an effort to open the envelope let alone read my letter. A light suddenly went on in my thick skull and I realized Mike Faricy from St. Paul, Minnesota didn’t have a chance with these guys. Not too long ago there were no other options, except maybe a vanity press, but it’s completely different today. I self published and haven’t looked back. I have fans around the world, I have twelve books out there, I write every day and the industry is leaving traditional publishers in the dust. Traditional publishing may still be great if your Dan Brown, J.K.Rowling or James Patterson, but Mike Faricy from St. Paul? I don’t think so. Some of them will wake up and adjust to the changes, some won’t. I’m busy getting my next book ready for release and can’t loose any sleep over people who didn’t have the time to open my envelope.


Tell us about a favorite character from a book.


Bombshell is my most recent book, it’s my tenth book and the fourth in my Dev Haskell, Private Investigator series. All my books are stand alone and can be read in any order. Dev Haskell just seemed to click with me. He’s basically a nice guy, does a bit of wise-cracking, maybe some back slapping and he certainly has an eye for the ladies. The situations he gets involved in are the day to day sort of things that occur in the lives of everyday people. Dev is not going to save the world from terrorists, international bank conspiracies or government coups. He deals with people who find themselves in a mess because of a bad decision or two they have made, but then bad decisions make for interesting tales. Dev has one foot on either side of the law. He guesses wrong on a regular basis. On more than one occasion he’s attracted to the wrong sort of woman. Adult beverages are often involved in the situations he ultimately finds himself in. I think he’d probably be a fun, wild weekend date that you may not tell your girlfriends about and if you really thought about it you wouldn’t bring him to you mom’s on Thanksgiving. He deals with folks we all know, but wisely sort of stay away from, still we’re just that bit curious. The girl in your high school class that was always a little wild, the guy that got into the wrong crowd, those are Dev’s clients. Dev swims in that pool of life that is a few rungs below polite society, but then that can make for interesting tales, too.

 

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Yes, travel does play a part in writing my books, but not in the way you might think. I write what I know so all the Dev Haskell books are set in St. Paul. I know the bars, the dives, some of the good and bad actors. St. Paul is a wonderful river town, but there has always been a wink and a nod element to the place, I love that. Before I write about a place I have to go there, get to know what its like, whether it’s a bank vault, an interrogation room at the police station or a dive bar. I need to get the feel of the place. As for travel, I have a long distance marriage, my wife and I live in two separate cities. I’m in St. Paul, she’s in Dublin, Ireland. I’m in Dublin for about six months over the course of the year. When I’m there I write all day, every day. Yeah, I know, now that makes me the dullest guy in two towns. Of course once my chores around the house are finished and my wife has had enough of my direction I suddenly find myself with my luggage in the Dublin airport.


Tell us about your current release.


My current release is Bombshell. It’s my fourth Dev Haskell novel. One night I was out chatting with some women I know who are involved in the local roller derby scene. The more I learned about that world the more I thought this has to be something Dev gets involved in. The names, the outfits they wear, all the hype, the fans, you can’t make it up. So amazingly shortly after that conversation Dev was hired to provide security for a visiting English roller derby team in town for forty-eight hours. Their star, Harlotte Davidson, had someone stalking her. Dev envisioned himself standing guard in the women’s shower room, of course being Dev things never seem to quit go as planned. Before he knew what happened he’s under arrest, found guilty and he hadn’t even been charged. He’s got an attorney who drinks too much, a gorgeous girlfriend with a bad attitude, a team of feisty females who want to kill him – and no answers. It’s a pretty fast paced read and a lot of fun, of course in the end let’s just say a woman saves the day and pulls Dev’s feet from the fire, but then that always seems to be the case.


Tell us about your next release.


I’ve actually two coming up. The first is something a little different, it’s in the Fight Card series which are boxing novellas written in a 1950’s noir under the pseudonym Jack Tunney, my title is Irish Dukes. The protagonist has to have come out of St. Vincent’s Asylum for Boys in Chicago and learned boxing and life lessons from Father Tim. Irish Dukes is set largely in 1950 Dublin. It was a lot of fun to write and is due for release in November 2012, please check it out along with all of the Fight Card series on Amazon.

The next Dev Haskell book is entitled Tutti Frutti and with any luck should be released right around the first of the year. Dev is supposed to be assembling information that will vindicate two brothers of questionable means; unfortunately everything he comes across seems to make them appear even guiltier. Along the way he gets involved with a woman who is too much for even Dev to handle. Once again he gets in so deep that it’s going to take a woman to save the day.


Who is your favorite author?


I can’t narrow it down to just one and they span a number of different genres. I love Stephen Ambrose, David McCullough, Jeff Shaara, Shelby Foote, Bruce Catton for readability and bringing historical facts and figures alive. I love the quirky characters of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen. Michael Connelly tells a great story and I’ve become a big fan of tightly woven, dialog driven tales from the likes of Robert B. Parker and Ed McBain, they taught me that often times less is more.



When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I write every day. I have a very set routine, I know, once again I’m very boring. I begin each day reading out loud what I wrote the previous day. I do some light editing. By the time I’ve completed this, maybe two and a half hours, I’m back in the flow. I try to write twenty-five-hundred to three thousand words per day. I don’t take breaks, I don’t run errands or answer the phone. I take about a thirty minute lunch break. Like I said I’m boring, but at the end of the day writing is a solitary occupation. It’s just you and the keyboard, oh yeah, and all those award winning ideas bouncing around in my empty head.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?


The hardest part about writing is finding the time. There are a thousand things in any given day that can get in the way. Meeting someone for coffee, dinner or a night out when I’d frankly rather be editing or dealing with a book related something. It takes an incredible amount of time not only to write but to go over everything countless times through the editing process.


What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?


Initially they would tease me, maybe roll their eyes when I was out of the room. I’m very serious about my work, that doesn’t mean I can’t have fun with it, but I do labor long and hard. It’s now something I’ve accomplished, twelve books and counting, they are very proud of that fact. It can maybe best be summed up as now instead of rolling their eyes they tell their friends and brag about it, and they like my books, or at least that’s what they tell me.


Does your significant other read your stuff?


No, she does not. It’s sort of a private joke, all my books are dedicated to her. I thank her for her unquestioned support and extreme patience and try and have some touching, romantic line addressed to her on the opening page. How many women have books dedicated to them? But, in the end my writing is not her genre. I get the smile and kiss on the cheek “That’s nice dear…” I think it’s pretty funny and by the way she doesn’t have to read them, she supports me a thousand different ways every single day and that speaks volumes. Like I said before it’s a solitary undertaking, and she deals with that and has never, ever questioned it. Besides, when I’m writing she doesn’t have me to contend with me and she can do exactly what she wants.



Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?

I hear from my readers all the time, anyone can email me at Mikefaricyauthor@gmail.com I purposely put contact information in all my books, both print and e-books. I don’t get a lot of questions other than when is the next book coming out and what is it? I do get a lot of comments which I always pay attention to, I may not adjust anything, but I do pay attention. I had two women contact me about the same book in the same week. One wrote; “I’m at page 140 and I’m not sure about all the sex.” The other woman wrote me and said; “135 pages and this is all the sex I get?” That suggested I was just about where I should be.

 

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

They think I’m an extrovert. I love meeting people, chatting to complete strangers. It started out as a defense mechanism. When I was a kid and in high school I was one of those shy guys afraid of girls. I would be against the wall at a high school dance watching everyone have fun, it was pure torture to ask a girl out on a date, of course think how she’d feel getting a call from the likes of me. Eventually my defense was to be loud and tell a lot of jokes, sort of the center of attention, but in a strange way I did it to keep people at bay. That developed into wanting to learn more about whoever was next to me. I could not care less if they know or don’t know something about me, but I’m genuinely interested in everyone else, who they are, what they have been doing, where they come from. That’s what developed me into the extrovert you see before you.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


Thanks for taking the time to learn a little bit about me and my books. Please feel free to connect with me on face book; Mike Faricy or Mike Faricy Books. Don’t miss Dev Haskell’s face book page, he’s always got something going on. You can follow me on Twitter @mikefaricybooks or feel free to email me at mikefaricyauthor@gmail.com. Now hurry up and get over to Amazon so you can download a copy of Bombshell; (http://amzn.to/Uyc5eY). Then be sure to tell 2-300 of your closest friends.

Thanks for taking the time, please ask me back and enjoy your day.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Dysfunctional, bumbling, crazy babe-magnet Dev Haskell, P.I., becomes the envy of every guy with a heartbeat when he’s hired to watch over a team of gorgeous English roller derby stars. Though he’d rather be standing guard in the shower room, he suddenly finds himself under arrest and found guilty before he’s even charged. He’s got an attorney who drinks too much, a beautiful woman with a bad attitude, a feisty team of females ready to kill him – and no answers. Bombshell is another fast paced, engrossing suspense thriller from Minnesota’s master of the bizarre, Mike Faricy.

Purchase Bombshell: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
 
 
 
 
 




Mike Faricy is the award winning author of mystery suspense thrillers woven together with a rich strain of humor and even some romance. He and his wife live in Saint Paul, Minnesota and Dublin, Ireland.

His entertaining tales are populated with the sort of quirky, oddball characters we’d all like to know more about, but wisely prefer to keep at a distance. They serve not so much as examples as they do warnings to the rest of us. None of his characters will be saving the world from terrorism, international banking conspiracies or coups to topple the government. Rather, they’re individuals inhabiting a world just below the surface of polite society. The difficulties they find themselves in are usually due to their own bad decisions, but then, bad decisions make for interesting tales.

All of his books are stand alone, read them in any order you wish. Russian Roulette introduces the bizarrely devilish Devlin Haskell as a PI with a foot on both sides of the law. Dev’s adventures continue in Mr. Softee and the soon to be released Bite Me. Mike is currently working on his latest top secret project. He graduated High School from St. Thomas Academy and earned a BA in history from St. Norbert College.

His latest book is the crime fiction, Bombshell.


Connect with Mike: Twitter | Goodreads





 
Friday, January 4
Monday, January 7
Tuesday, January 8
Interviewed at Divine Caroline
Wednesday, January 9
Character Dear Reader Letter at Literarily Speaking
Thursday, January 10




1 comment:

Teena said...

I really enjoyed this book!

http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/01/book-bombshell-2012-mike-faricy.html