Tuesday, December 18, 2012

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram: Interview



 





How did you start your writing career?

 

Oh, the wonderful world of fan fiction. My first novel was a fan fiction about the Backstreet Boys. (Yeah, it is okay to laugh.) I started with BSB, but I’ve also tried other fandoms—NCIS, Supernatural, Smallville and Castle to name a few... Eventually I got tired of using other people’s characters and decided to try writing my own original fiction. The rest, as they say, is history.

 

Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

 

There are so many characters that I could gush endlessly about. However, since I just read Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved 3) by Cate Tiernan I’ll go with Nastasya. The Immortal Beloved series is one of my favorites because of it’s complicated characters. Nas is a very troubled woman but ultimately has a good heart. She’s damaged and selfish and lazy and rude and yet somehow entirely likable. She’s a bit unpredictable. I LOVE her. Actually, I love all the characters in the book.

 

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

 

He loves it when I get deposits in our bank account. Lol. Kidding. He is insanely supportive. He’s a writer as well and loves that I can “speak his language.” We read each other’s scripts and give each other feedback. My kids think it’s cool. We’ve already got the older two writing stories of their own.

 

What do you think makes a good story?

 

An interesting premise and a good solid plot help of course, but what I think truly makes a story stand out is excellent character development. When the characters feel things and learn things and change, that’s when we as readers feel and learn things along with them. The best books are the ones that can weave plot and character development together seamlessly.

 

What are your favorite TV shows?

 

My all-time fave is Firefly! (That it was cancelled half way through its first season is downright criminal!) I also love Supernatural, Psych, and Community. 
 

Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?

 

Favorite quote: “If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King

 

Favorite quip: Well, seeing how I am a child of the 90’s I still have a tendency to say “your mom” a lot. I’ve found this doesn’t pack the same punch when I say it to my children…

 

Favorite Saying: “Juice me!” This is from the TV show Kyle XY. Long story, but it’s a household favorite in my family.

 

Do you have a Website or Blog?

 

Yep. www.kellyoram.com You can always get the latest news or contact me there. I’m also a bit of a Goodreads addict, so I’m fairly active on my author profile there as well.

 

If you could select one book that you could rewrite and add your own unique twist on, which book would that be and why?

 

This is an interesting question. I actually think about this a lot, but if I ever could select one I’d have to pick Mockingjay. Not that I think I could do better than Suzanne Collins by any stretch. I was just expecting something so different than what I got with that story and I love those characters all so much, I would have a blast taking them on an adventure storming the capitol.
 





Author Kelly Oram

Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan
fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family
and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much,
and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix,
Arizona with her husband and four children.






V is for Virgin

When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on
YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation.
After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy.
 

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.


How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?


V is for Virgin is scheduled to be released on December 11, 2012.

For those who might wonder about content based on the title -

From Kelly: The book has a great overall message and promotes good strong moral values. For a book all about sex, there's not anything even close to a sex scene in it, but because of the nature of the topic there is a lot of innuendo/sexual humor and some name calling.







 



Tour Giveaway

$30 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash

Open Internationally

Ends 1/6/12




 
Post a Comment