Thursday, December 27, 2012

Shannon McRoberts Virtual Blog Tour: Interview: First Rule Publicity


 




Shannon McRoberts Virtual Tour

Presented by First Rule PR



My top 10 Books of All Time


 

I will freely admit that I am a bibliophile; books have become a large part of my life, both in writing them and reading them. As of now, my collection stands at about 800 books, yet I do have ten (or so) books that are near and dear to my heart. Here they are in no particular order; I hope you will find the time to read and enjoy them! 

 

Indigo by Graham Joyce – this novel was my introduction into the strange world of Graham Joyce and I’m glad I made that choice. This is a book that will keep you up all night turning the pages. The plot is this: suppose one found a way to attain a higher level of existence through the power of an “invisible” colour? The answer to that question lies within.

 

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – this novel is my favourite of all Charles Dickens’ works, considering that is takes place during the stirring beginnings of the French Revolution. Love, betrayal, patriotism and blood; what more could book lover ask for? Simply a classic!

 

Atonement by Ian McEwan – I claim Ian McEwan to be the God of Literature, and yet it took me a long time to get into the groove of his writing. It took me three tries to read Atonement and I had almost given up on him altogether, until I read one of his shorter novels (Amsterdam). After reading that book, his writing finally clocked for me and now I have read mostly all of his works. Atonement is the story of love gone horribly wrong, thanks to a mistake that haunts not only the living but also the dead. As much as I loved the book, I also loved the movie for the director did quite a good job in portraying this sad tale. (I’m listening to the movie’s soundtrack while I’m typing out this list!)

 

Imajica by Clive Barker – dear me, where do I begin with THIS one? All I can say about this novel is this: READ IT. This book is unlike any fantasy, or book for that matter, you have ever read. When I finished reading the book many years ago, I kept flipping back to the last couple of pages to see if perhaps I missed reading extra pages. Simply put, I did not want the story to end. Once you begin the journey to Imajica, be prepared to not want to do anything else for a couple of hours.

 

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov – what a strange and sordid tale about love, and yet it is so “perfect”. Forbidden love mingled with innocence and knowledge makes for quite a tale. Every time I think of it, I tend to feel sorry for dear old Humbert.

 

Franny and Zoey by J.D. Salinger – Although most people love Catcher In The Rye (as do I), this novel also stole my heart. Another great classic that should be read many times over the course of one’s life.

 

The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch – I wish I could have met this author. I think we would have become fast friends. This novel is your non-typical typical Gothic tale filled with mystery, dirty secrets, a bit of the supernatural and of course, the English moors!

 

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – I was determined to finish this novel, not because it is such a hefty tome, but that the story was compelling and tragic. Yes, I will freely admit that I love tragic novels and this one could quite possibly be towards the top of the list as the best. This novel moved me so much that I named one of my plants in my apartment Vronsky. From what I understand, Tolstoy read in the newspaper about a woman who died by throwing herself under a train and decided to write a story going backwards as to why she would do such a thing. Such passion, such love and yet such pain.

 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath – Yes, I was and still am one of those bookish women who simply adore Plath. Since I love her poetry, I knew I had to read her novel. This novel gave me chills once I finished it. A decent into madness as only Plath can convey.

 

Venus In Furs by Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch – For those of you who want a taste of what it means to be decadent, you need to read this novel. The story is more than just a tale about sex; it is about fantasy, control, desires, fears and a look into a world that is quite colourful.  Don’t let the slimness fool you; this novel packs quite a punch and will leave you asking questions. I know I did. And for the record, I have listened to the song by The Velvet Underground many times and love it! 

 

So there you have it: my ten books.  All of these books have been an inspiration for my own work and continue to do so. I do have other books that are near and dear to me, yet these ten are a good representation of what makes me tick.

 

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my list and if you do read any of these books, or even my books (Tales From a Goth Librarian, Mabon/Pomegranate, The Decembrists), drop me a line at artgirl74@gmail.com and let me know what you think!

 

Happy Reading!
 
 

Welcome Shannon!  Thanks so much for visiting during your tour.  Tell us about your current release.
My current book Worlds Collide is a continuation of Athine’s adventures from Athine Verses:  The Blood Sisters.  This novella is not very long, but it’s an important arc because in this book my character, Zarra, is imported from my other novella The Secret of Genetic Corp X.   
Tell us about your next release.
My WIP is Cursed Bloods which will follow what happens after Worlds Collide and the focus character will be Zarra and her friends although Athine will still be in the books.   
 What is the hardest part of writing your books?
I am a creative person, but I have to be creative when I feel it.  I have long dry spells and sometimes prolific creative spells.  I find that I can’t type as fast as I can think.  I also find that I have a lot of problems with writer’s block.  Plus I work a day job and have a family that likes to see me from time to time.  It just gets hard to work it all in 24 hours.  I wish sleep were as overrated as I would like to believe! 
What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My mom is always supportive of things like writing and poetry.   I’ve been writing and making art of some kind since I was old enough to write/draw/make stuff.  I always tried to sell it too.  That hasn’t changed!  My husband is supportive of it, but it’s not his thing.  He is not a big reader and he has never read any of my works.  He does like my art work though, which helps with confidence boosts because he is a picky picky picky person LOL. 
Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?
I have to listen to music.  I have ADHD.  The only way I can write is to block it all out, even late at night.  I mostly like rock music.  My phone is my MP3 player and on it you can find some of these bands:  Garbage, 30 Seconds to Mars, Guns N Roses, Matchbox 20, Disturbed, Staind, NIN, Seether, Evanescence, Halestorm, Linkin Park, Eminem, and Marilyn Manson.  
Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?
In a way they are, but to tell you the truth most of the names come out of a system I have to generate them!  I just look at a big list and find that one name that looks like that character.  I find that fantasy writing goes up to a whole new degree if you don’t have boring every day names.  Of course others are carefully chosen like Nikeda for instance kind of sounded like little Nike because that is her mother and that is what I was going for on that name.   I guess really the names become more important once the character has a life of its own!    
Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?
Athine is definitely modeled after my personality.  I am headstrong, stubborn, a reluctant leader, and I believe in fighting for things based on the principle of the matter.  I think I have always been attracted to strong female leads because I have that kind of personality.   
Do you have a Website or Blog? 
Of course! J  www.shannonmcroberts.com is the main entry way but I am also working on www.daughterofares.com which is a companion site just for my series!

 
 

 
; Athine Verses: The Beginning (Daughters of Ares Chronicles) by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Fantasy
100 pages

Athine has always been told that she is to be the protector of Olympus, Ximira, and Draosia. She has trained for years to be this protector and future ruler. But Athine has no desire to be ruler of a conquered land. She wants only to have her own adventures. She gets her wish when she is tested in the A’samrad and finds out that she has the power to kill other immortals…

 

<
 
Athine Verses: The Narkurru (Daughters of Ares Chronicles) by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Fantasy
83 pages

Athine has accepted her appointed fate as protector of the N’Loron. She successfuly protected the veil between worlds for years, but now a new threat emerges from within the veil. Follow Athine on another great adventure to protect her world and keep the veil between worlds safe!

 

 

 

< Athine Verses: The Blood Sisters (Daughters of Ares Chronicles) by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Fantasy
108 pages

Ever wondered what happened to the dragons or where vampires came from? Follow Athine on her adventure as she uncovers these and other secrets of the immortal born.

 

 

<
 
Worlds Collide: A Crossover Novella by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Fantasy

The N’Loron is only days away from breaking in Athine’s world. Strange beings are crossing over through the tears in the veil. Athine must choose between the stability of the N’Loron in her realm and her very life. Journey with Athine on her quest to fix the N’Loron. Will this be her last?

 

 




< The Secret of Genetic Corp X by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Science Fiction/Urban Fantasy
159 pages

Genetic Corp X is one of the world’s premier tissue and organ cloning centers. Medical breakthroughs of all kinds have originated from the work done at the facility. Zarra Perez was their lead research scientist on her way to curing Alzheimer’s disease–until a nearly fatal accident left her with no personal memories or sense of self.

Her father and husband want her to return to the life they say she had before her accident. However, even with no sense of personal identity, Zarra isn’t content to allow others to dictate her life while she waits on her memories to come back. In her desperate search to remember show she is, Zarra uncovers the horrible truth about Genetic Corp X. Now she is faced with a moral dilemma that could result in her own death.

Join Zarra in her search for her lost memories and find out what the secret of Genetic Corp X really is!

 

 

< Erosion of the Heart by Shannon McRoberts
genre: Poetry
114 pages

This is a collective book of poetry by Shannon McRoberts. This includes both new poetry and all of the poems found in “REMORDERE” and “Poetry for the Chronically Heart Broken and Depressed”. All of these titles were previously only available in paper back, but now they are available here for Kindle!

 

 

 

 


 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

< Shannon McRoberts was born in Kentucky and currently resides there with her family. She began writing novellas late in her career after fulfilling a college dream of publishing her poetry book.

When not writing or working at her day job she enjoys creating fantasy art in Poser; this helps spur on her writing about fantasy worlds. Shannon is also an avid reader enjoying many books that feature strong female leads. It comes as no surprise that when she writes that her characters are also strong female leads

Shannon’s books are not long at all as she feels that something should be left up to the reader; no you don’t really need to know that the walls were blue on the fourth floor to enjoy a story!

If she has any spare time Shannon enjoys playing things like World of Warcraft, Elder Scroll games, Guild Wars, Rift, and Second Life. However, she often doesn’t have any spare time between work, family, and her art/writing hobbies. 




SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
• Website
• Facebook
• Twitter
• GoodReads
• Blog




Shannon McRoberts Tour Dates:
 

12/26 – From the Bootheel Cotton Patch – Review

12/27 – Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews – Interview

12/28 – Sheila Deeth – Review

12/29 – Once Upon a Time – Guest Post

12/30 – Come Selahway With Me – Character Post

12/31 – Book in the Bag – Review

1/1 – Bee's Knees Reviews – Review

1/2 – Workaday Reads – Character Interview

1/3 – Beauty in Ruins – Review

1/ 4 – Read2Review – Review

1/5 – Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books – Review






 

 

1 comment:

Obsidian Poet said...

Thank you for taking the time to interview me for your blog!