Monday, December 10, 2012

Ruined by Kinley Baker: Interview, Excerpt: Bewitching Tour Promo



 






Thanks for stopping in today and agreeing to answer a few of my questions.  How did you start your writing career?

I graduated with a degree in Creative Writing. After graduation, I read hundreds of novels until I found romance. Then I knew I had to write happy endings. I’ve been doing so for five years, and there’s nothing better than releasing a novel into the world. I hope I get to keep doing this for a long time.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Ireland! I feel like I’m destined to visit, and once I step off the plane, my long suppressed magical abilities will surface. I’ll finally learn I’m not normal, and that’s why I never fit in. That might sound exaggerated, but I feel connected to Ireland. I’m supposed to travel there. If only I could convince my bank account.


Tell us about your current release.

I just released the first book in the Misbehaving Magics series on December 7, 2012. Excuse My Fairy is a post-apocalyptic/futuristic adventure. If you like the paranormal, I dare you to read it. It’s about a feisty fairy named Draybeth, who’s been likened to a drunken sailor, but in a cute way. And her sexy Lawman hero, Barrett, who arrests her the first time he meets her for brawling in the streets. Love at first booking… Lol. (If you just laughed at that or even smiled, there’s a good chance you’ll like the book.) But really, it’s supposed to be fun, humorous, dark, and full of heart, so I hope readers enjoy! It’s different from my Shadowed Love series because there is swearing and the heat level is higher, so I like to warn readers. It’s definitely an adult read. If you’d like to learn more, follow me on Twitter. I try not to promo too much, but I’ll be tweeting links for a few days to celebrate the release. www.twitter.com/kinleybaker. Also, if you tweet a lot, I love to chat! Be sure to @ mention me.


Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?
My parents. They always encouraged me to be a writer. They believed in my stories, and my mom goes out of her way to read a lot of what I write. She has a great eye for detail. For my second release, Denied (Book Two in the Shadowed Love series), my dad told me what page he was on every time I called, until he finished. They’re so supportive. It’s been hard for them to watch me face the challenges, but I think they also know it’s good because I’ve grown as a person on this crazy, amazing journey.

 

What was your first sale as an author?

My first sale as an author was Ruined. Ruined is the first book in the Shadowed Love series. It’s an adult fantasy romance novel about a king new to the throne, and his Senior Healer, who he falls in love with even though their relationship is forbidden. It’s a story with Old World charm full of shadows, scandals and secrets.


Does your significant other read your stuff?
Never! Well, my husband did read one short story when I was in college. I’ve just come to accept he won’t read any of my novels. He’s not a reader, and he’s not obsessed with the paranormal like I am. He’s also given me permission to say whatever I want about him on my new blog, which I’m launching in January. Muahaha. I’ve completely accepted he doesn’t read my writing. Really… There will be no revenge blogging happening at all. Not at all.

 

Do you have a Website or Blog?

My website is www.kinleybaker.com. But you can usually find me on Twitter if you want to chat: www.twitter.com/kinleybaker. And my new blog will be launching in January http://kinleybaker.wordpress.com.

 

What do you find most rewarding about writing?

I love when readers connect to my characters and their stories. This is always my first goal: write novels and characters people care about. I’ll keep working on it. There’s nothing I’d rather be doing.
 

Thank you for allowing me to visit, Laurie!
 
 


Kinley Baker is the author of the fantasy romance series, Shadowed Love. She read her first romance at the age of thirteen and immediately fell in love with the hero and the genre.

 

She lives with her husband, Benjamin, and her dog, Joker, in the Pacific Northwest. Ruined, Denied, and Freed are all available now from Crescent Moon Press.

 

Look for a new paranormal romance series in 2013. As a firm supporter of all supernatural lifestyles, she writes fantasy, paranormal, and futuristic romances.

 

You can find Kinley at:
 

 

 
RUINED: Shadowed Love Book One
By Kinley Baker
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
 
 
BLURB:
 
 
Jessa is one healing away from death. Under the thrall of her gift, the Court's Senior Healer risks giving her life in exchange for her patient's. 
 
 
Vale is a rebel ruler. When his brother is killed, he's given the throne and the decree from the Court to produce an heir or lose his family's hold on the land--and his deceiving advisors aren't afraid to use murder as a weapon if their directive to stay away from the Senior Healer goes unheeded. 
 
But Vale burns to possess Jessa. The heat between them leaves a wake of smoke, and even the powerful forces above want to bind them in a union that lasts forever. Vale taking another would be a betrayal neither could survive. 
 
Their enemies fear a child born of such a powerful Healer and Warrior, but the true threat lies in the bond forged in shadows and fused in fire.
 
Barnes and Noble                 Kindle        Amazon Paperback  
 
"You." Fury burned hot under Jessa's skin as she glared at Vale. "Who do you think you are, demanding I come live in this castle? You can't just order your guards to enter a woman's home and pack up her things."
 

"Well, I did." Vale came around the desk and propped one hip against it, more of a threatening than casual movement.
 

"Someone tried to kill me. It makes sense that I have my Healer close by."
 

She released a pent-up breath. "Why couldn't you have explained that instead of mandating?" Silly. Her imagination had run away with her. The king needed his Healer. But the realization he didn't want her made her angrier.
 

"Because I didn't want to give you the option of saying no."
 

She most definitely would have said no.
 

"If you would have explained your reasoning, I would have complied. Your safety and health come first, even if I-"
 

"Even if you what?"
 

"Loathe you." She bunched her fingers into two fists, seriously tempted to hit him. For all the nonexistent pain it would inflict upon him.
 

"Do you?" His tone deadened with calm. "Because I can't stop thinking about you."
 

"That's normal." She brushed off the claim. "I saved your life."

 
He moved in a blur. A true Shadow Shifter. One second he stood near his desk, the next he had her in his arms, one locked around her waist and one hand tangled in her hair. Their lips almost brushed.
 

"I can't stop thinking about you." His murmur played down her spine, leaving a tingling trail. His scent invaded her. His voice embraced her like bare skin against satin sheets.
 

Her heart beat fast, her pulse jumped.
 

She disliked him, but didn't want him to let her go.


"Have you been thinking about me?" His soft tone feathered over her flesh.
 

"Only how much I dislike you." Lust pulsed in her belly.

 
He pulled her head back gently by her hair, so they looked straight into each other's eyes. Their bodies pressed tightly together. "Liar."
 
 

Post a Comment