Sunday, December 30, 2012

Mabon and Pomegranate, and The Decembrists by Kimberly Richardson: Guest Post: First Rule Tour Stop

 
 




Kimberly Richardson Virtual Tour
Presented by First Rule PR


GUEST POST/TENS LIST

My top 10 Books of All Time


 
I will freely admit that I am a bibliophile; books have become a large part of my life, both in writing them and reading them. As of now, my collection stands at about 800 books, yet I do have ten (or so) books that are near and dear to my heart. Here they are in no particular order; I hope you will find the time to read and enjoy them!
 
Indigo by Graham Joyce – this novel was my introduction into the strange world of Graham Joyce and I’m glad I made that choice. This is a book that will keep you up all night turning the pages. The plot is this: suppose one found a way to attain a higher level of existence through the power of an “invisible” colour? The answer to that question lies within.
 
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – this novel is my favourite of all Charles Dickens’ works, considering that is takes place during the stirring beginnings of the French Revolution. Love, betrayal, patriotism and blood; what more could book lover ask for? Simply a classic!
 
Atonement by Ian McEwan – I claim Ian McEwan to be the God of Literature, and yet it took me a long time to get into the groove of his writing. It took me three tries to read Atonement and I had almost given up on him altogether, until I read one of his shorter novels (Amsterdam). After reading that book, his writing finally clocked for me and now I have read mostly all of his works. Atonement is the story of love gone horribly wrong, thanks to a mistake that haunts not only the living but also the dead. As much as I loved the book, I also loved the movie for the director did quite a good job in portraying this sad tale. (I’m listening to the movie’s soundtrack while I’m typing out this list!)
 
Imajica by Clive Barker – dear me, where do I begin with THIS one? All I can say about this novel is this: READ IT. This book is unlike any fantasy, or book for that matter, you have ever read. When I finished reading the book many years ago, I kept flipping back to the last couple of pages to see if perhaps I missed reading extra pages. Simply put, I did not want the story to end. Once you begin the journey to Imajica, be prepared to not want to do anything else for a couple of hours.
 
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov – what a strange and sordid tale about love, and yet it is so “perfect”. Forbidden love mingled with innocence and knowledge makes for quite a tale. Every time I think of it, I tend to feel sorry for dear old Humbert.
 
Franny and Zoey by J.D. Salinger – Although most people love Catcher In The Rye (as do I), this novel also stole my heart. Another great classic that should be read many times over the course of one’s life.
 
The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch – I wish I could have met this author. I think we would have become fast friends. This novel is your non-typical typical Gothic tale filled with mystery, dirty secrets, a bit of the supernatural and of course, the English moors!
 
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – I was determined to finish this novel, not because it is such a hefty tome, but that the story was compelling and tragic. Yes, I will freely admit that I love tragic novels and this one could quite possibly be towards the top of the list as the best. This novel moved me so much that I named one of my plants in my apartment Vronsky. From what I understand, Tolstoy read in the newspaper about a woman who died by throwing herself under a train and decided to write a story going backwards as to why she would do such a thing. Such passion, such love and yet such pain.
 
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath – Yes, I was and still am one of those bookish women who simply adore Plath. Since I love her poetry, I knew I had to read her novel. This novel gave me chills once I finished it. A decent into madness as only Plath can convey.
 
Venus In Furs by Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch – For those of you who want a taste of what it means to be decadent, you need to read this novel. The story is more than just a tale about sex; it is about fantasy, control, desires, fears and a look into a world that is quite colourful.  Don’t let the slimness fool you; this novel packs quite a punch and will leave you asking questions. I know I did. And for the record, I have listened to the song by The Velvet Underground many times and love it!
 
So there you have it: my ten books.  All of these books have been an inspiration for my own work and continue to do so. I do have other books that are near and dear to me, yet these ten are a good representation of what makes me tick.
 
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my list and if you do read any of these books, or even my books (Tales From a Goth Librarian, Mabon/Pomegranate, The Decembrists), drop me a line at artgirl74@gmail.com and let me know what you think!

 

Happy Reading!
 

BOOK INFO
 

Mabon and Pomegranate by Kimberly Richardson
Genre: Mythic Fiction
294 pages
Mabon:
What would you do if you discovered that your dreams were real? Monica had no idea that moving to the small town of Mabon would be the answer to her prayers, and yet so much more...
Pomegranate:
Alexandra has it all: a great job, a wonderful husband, and very few worries in the world. Yet, when a black clad stranger enters her life, she is suddenly thrust into a world of myths and legends all contained in the skin of an infamous fruit.
 
 
 
The Decembrists by Kimberly Richardson
Genre: Modern Gothic
218 pages
Sophie Joyce, a young writer, soon becomes a part of best selling author Hilliard Ravensdale's elitist world. Yet, what she desperately wants comes at a terrible price, revealing a secret from Hilliard's past that will threaten to destroy them both. Award-winning author Kimberly Richardson turns her literary eye to the world of sex, control, uprisings, secrets, and lies, all wrapped within a story worthy to be called modern Gothic.
 
 




ABOUT THE AUTHOR
After found as an infant crawling among books in an abandoned library, Kimberly Richardson grew up to become an eccentric woman with a taste for jazz, drinking tea, reading books, speaking French and Japanese, playing her violin and writing stories that cause people to make the strangest faces. Her first book, Tales From a Goth Librarian, was published through Kerlak Publishing and named a Finalist in both the USA Book News Awards for Fiction: Short Story for 2009 and the International Book Awards for Fiction: Short Story in 2010. Ms. Richardson is also the Editor of the award winning Steampunk anthology Dreams of Steam, the award winning sequel, Dreams of Steam II: Of Brass and Bolts, and the upcoming Dreams of Steam III, all published through Kerlak Publishing. Other short stories and poetry by Ms. Richardson have been published through Sam’s Dot Publishing, Midnight Screaming and FootHills Publishing.  Her first full-length novel, The Decembrists (Kerlak Publishing), will be out in 2012. Her other book, Mabon and Pomegranate (Kerlak Publishing), will be out in 2012 as well.

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
·         Website
·         Facebook
·         Blog
 
12/14 - Books à la Mode – Guest Post
12/15 – Come Selahway With Me – Character Post/Character Interview
12/16 – Fangs for the Fantasy – Review
12/17 – Library Girl Reads and Reviews – Guest Post
12/18 – Workaday Reads – Guest Post
12/19 – Book in the Bag – Review
12/20 – Lost Inside the Covers – Review
12/22 – Earth's Book Nook – Review
12/24 – Beauty in Ruins – Review
12/25 – Full Moon Bites – Interview
12/26 - Once Upon a Time – Character Post
12/27 – Bee's Knees Reviews – Reviews
12/28 – WTF Are You Reading – Review
12/29 – The Independent Review – Review
12/30 – Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews – Top Tens Guest Post

 
 
 
Thanks for Looking!
 
 
Post a Comment