Friday, December 21, 2012

Dark Passing by Liz Schultz: Interview and Review: Promotional Book Tours

 



What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
That I am not in control. I may have ideas of where I want the story to go or what the characters should do, but ultimately I let them go their own way. I had plans for Ella in Dark Passing to make friends with certain characters, but then when they met, she didn’t like them so we had to come to a compromise, i.e. I had to come up with a different character for her to connect with.

What do you think makes a good story?
I love characters. They are my favorite part of any story. I like to feel along with them and when the book ends. I want to miss the characters like I am missing a friend. If I cannot connect or identify with the main character in a book, I have trouble making it through the story.

What are your favorite TV shows?
I don’t have time for a lot of television, but I do always make time for Walking Dead and Haven. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Walking Dead when I first heard about it, but I absolutely love it. I think it is one of the best shows on television.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
I like to cook, read, and travel. Planning my vacations might be more exciting and relaxing than my actual vacations. There is something about looking at all the things I will get to do and see that gets my blood going.

What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?
This is a really hard question. I guess it would depend on what you are looking for in a book. Pride and Prejudice is one of my absolute favorite books. The characters are timeless and identifiable even after nearly 200 years. However, a book like Catch 22 is truly unique, witty, and such a pleasure to read that I could make an argument for this being the best book ever written.

What is the next big thing?
I don’t know if it is the next big thing, but it would be if someone did it. Someone should sell those cardboard rolls at the end of wrapping paper. I have 8 nieces and nephews and they just told me today that I needed to go back to the store and get more of those card board things.


Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
Mystery, romance, and serial killers, what more could you want? Oh, and a strong heroine who doesn’t wait to be saved and has a tongue almost as sharp as her mind.

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?
I write in two genres. I write urban fantasy and have a new book coming out this month, Easy Bake Coven, about witches and elves 9not the Keebler sort). As for other mysteries, I will have two coming out next year: the Ninth Floor, a book about a hospital that has closed off the ninth floor because for repeated deaths, murders and suicides, and another Ella Reynolds book in fall of 2013.

 



 
 
Mary Nelson’s murder shocked the small town of Jackson. The vibrant, young college student disappeared on her way home. A week later her body was found in the trunk of a burning car. No suspects. No evidence. No case.

Ella Reynolds’ life had finally turned around. With a new book released, the past safely tucked away, and a burgeoning romance, she begins to live again. Then a plea from a woman whose daughter’s murder remains unsolved ignites Ella’s curiosity—and drags her back into the dark world she fought so desperately to escape.

Curiosity turns to obsession as Ella inches closer to the truth—and the murderer begins to claim new victims.


Kindle / Nook / Smashwords



Follow Liz Schulte
 
 
 

4.5 Stars 

I got snared quickly into this clever mystery with a unique female sleuth. This book is actually the second in the Ella Reynolds’ mystery series and I have not yet read the previous book; however, there is enough of the back story provided so that I could easily understand the forces at work in Ella’s life that have shaped her into the no-nonsense, blunt, and often prickly woman that she is.  Ella is a tenacious introvert with a tremendous amount of baggage. Her motives and her methods are sometimes brass. In general, I liked her oddness even though she is upon occasion not particularly likable.  She has reasons for being the way she is. She is flawed but her nature makes her an especially fascinating fictional character.  As she unravels the mystery she also begins to unwind slightly; beginning a personal metamorphosis that intrigued me just as much as the events under investigation.  Ella is also fortunate to have a caring, patient and delectable man in her life that is supportive but also capable of dishing out some tough love when the occasion warrants.  This is an exciting mystery with a quirky, offbeat quality that I enjoyed immensely.
 
This book was given to me in return for my honest review. 

Reviewed by Laurie-J   



 



Liz Schulte is having a contest for a "Mystery" Themed Basket Must be 18+ US Resident.
 Ends 1/6/13 @ 11:59PM EST Fill out the form below to Enter



 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Liz Schulte's Blog said...

Thank you for the fun interview and the awesome review