Monday, November 12, 2012

Spectra by Joanne Elder: Tens List: PUYB Tour Stop

 


 
 

SCI-FI THRILLER SPECTRA CONFRONTS THE ULTIMATE QUESTION WITH MYSTERY, INTRIGUE AND MODERN RESEARCH

SPECTRA, the thought-provoking and potent sci-fi thriller debut from Joanne Elder (BESc, MESc, PEng), dramatically explores the age-old question of the existence of the human soul, with cutting-edge science to back it. Set against a backdrop of mystery, murder, betrayal, and extra-terrestrial life, SPECTRA tackles a host of cosmic issues, such as the terrible dangers of mankind's materialistic and intellectual greed; life forms beyond our current comprehension; the deadly consequences of tampering with the essence of life; and, if the soul exists, what exactly is it made of?

When a mining exploration crew, light years from the earth, discovers intelligent life forms comprised entirely of energy so pure and unique they give unimaginable cognitive abilities to those exposed to them, their minds - and lives - are forever transformed. The fast-paced plot of SPECTRA takes its reader through a wild journey of deep space exploration, ruthless scientific experimentation, and the real possibilities of the physical manifestation of what we call the soul.

"The underlying theme of SPECTRA is that if the human soul does exist, it has to be manifested as something in the physical universe. It can't be nothing, nor can God, for that matter," says Elder of her literary debut.

What critics are saying:

"SPECTRA is an exciting and original questioning of human nature, highly recommended for science fiction fans."

Midwest Book Review

"Elder creates a unique universe and fills it with dynamic characters, making this novel an exhilarating experience."

Donna M. Brown, RT Book Reviews

"This is excellent sci-fi - your old space opera taken to the next evolutionary level."

Steve Moore, Book Pleasures

Joanne Elder is a member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario. She received her Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Engineering Science at the University of Western Ontario. During her professional career, she spent several years in the aeronautical and nuclear industries, published numerous technical papers in the field of Metallurgic Engineering and presented at international conferences. She now resides in King City, Ontario with her two teen-aged children and husband.
 
SPECTRA is available in paperback and e-book formats through Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Chapters book stores in Canada and the author's website, www.sciencefictionthrillers.com


 



What 10 things absolutely drive you insane?
 

When Laurie sent me some suggestions for her Ten’s List, the ten things that drive me insane is the last topic I thought I’d choose. I’m a positive person, and ironically one of the things on my list is negative people—negative Nancy/Norman, as I like to coin them. But it’s a crazy, fast-paced world out there and certainly things can eat away at me during my busy day, so why not vent a little. So here it is…my official irate woman list of things that make me bonkers.

 

1.       Tangled Coat Hangers – I finally have a few minutes to clean up and I riffle through my closet looking for an extra hanger only to find it intertwined with all its neighbors. I try giving it a yank and all it does is send my favorite shirt tumbling to the floor. Urggg.

2.      Not Being Strong Enough – I’m very independent and hate having to ask anyone to do something for me. Despite my workouts, strength (lack of it) can often slow me down. Whether it’s loosening the top on a jar, or working outside, I hate when I’m too weak to do a job. Urggg.

3.      People With No Common Sense – I can’t condemn anyone for whether or not they were an honors student. More important than what someone’s IQ is how they put their grey matter to work. That’s where common sense comes into play. The smartest person with no common sense can do the dumbest things. Urggg.

4.      Drivers That Weave in Traffic – I’m travelling along the highway and one of those maniacs cuts me off and disappears into the distance. Where are the cops when you need them? Urggg.

5.      Pens That Don’t Work – Need a pen? Seems simple enough, until the third one I grab still doesn’t work. I try to scribble a blue line on the corner of the paper only to scribe a deep groove that threatens to tear the corner right off. Urggg.

6.      Food I Don’t Like – Have you ever been to someone’s house for dinner and had to eat something you hate to be polite? It’s culinary hell! Urggg.

7.      Delivery and Repair Schedules – Don’t you love the “time window” people give you for when they’ll arrive at your house for a repair or delivery? You take time off to wait patiently for them and then they arrive two hours late. Urggg.

8.     Never Being Able to Talk to a Human on the Phone – You gotta love technology. I’ll call a company regarding an issue, select my choice for each of the five recorded menus I listen to, sit on hold for five minutes and then get cut off. Urggg.

9.      People That Don’t Put the Lid on the Toothpaste – It’s gets hard and crusty. Urggg.

10.  Negative People – People who always see the glass half empty. Once again…how ironic after this rant.  

As much as these ten things make me crazy, I never complain. There’s always a silver lining!

 


 
 

 
 
Joanne Elder is a member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario. She received her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Engineering Science at the University of Western Ontario. During her professional career, she spent several years in the aeronautical and nuclear industries, published numerous technical papers in the field of Metallurgical Engineering and presented at international conferences. She now resides in King City, Ontario with her two teen-aged children and husband. Spectra, Elder’s debut novel, and the sequel, Entity, were published by MuseItUp Publishing.

You can visit Joanne Elder’s website at www.sciencefictionthrillers.com.

 
 
 
 


Monday, November 12
Tuesday, November 13
Interview at Examiner
 
Wednesday, November 14
Interview at Review From Here
 
Thursday, November 15
 
Friday, November 16
Interview at The Bunny’s Review
Guest Blogging at The Story Behind the Book

 
 
Photobucket
Click the image to Book a Tour or Become a Tour Host



 
 

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Loved your list! :) We have several common pet peeves. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Joanne Elder said...

I have to laugh. I'm writing this comment waiting for a repair man, who's supposed to arrive between 9:00 and 1:00. No doubt he'll arrive at 2:00. It was great fun venting on your Ten's List! Thanks so much for having me Laurie.
Joanne Elder

Admin said...

Wow...looks really nice Laurie! Thanks so much for hosting Joanne today!