Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This Time You Lose by Chris Stralyn: Interview

 


 

What would you do if street thugs invaded your home? What if you're a daycare provider, caring for a dozen children at the time? Lisa Kaamp, a most unlikely heroine, faces just such a nightmare in This Time You Lose, the suspense driven story of one woman's struggle to survive when she and the children she cares for become victims of a home invasion gone terribly wrong.

Lisa Kaamp operates a small childcare business out of her home in Nogeksum, Michigan. Highly respected and known for going the extra mile for her daycare kids, she thinks she's handled every daycare emergency possible. But nothing prepares her for the horror she now faces.

Lisa finds herself bound and gagged, four strange men in her home, and the daycare children held hostage in the next room. Terrorized by her captors as the authorities work to meet the ransom deadline, she tries negotiating with the men for the release of the children, but soon realizes they have no intention of letting anyone go.

With the deadline approaching, Lisa must do the unimaginable to protect the children and get everyone out alive.

***On July 1, 2012. This Time You Lose was named a semifinalist in the Kindle Book Review Best Indie Books of 2012 Contest. Finalists will be announced in September. Winners are to be announced in October 2012***

***In 2008 This Time You Lose was named a finalist in the TNBW Strongest Start Novel Competition. Four months later it earned the distinction of being a TNBW Readers Choice Top Ten Novel, and has remained on the Top Ten list ever since.***




How did you start your writing career?

 

My writing career started completely by accident…literally. My family was on vacation in Florida when a wheel jumped off our van as we drove down the road. The accident and chain of events that followed made for a terribly unforgettable vacation.

 

A year later someone pointed out an essay contest for “The Worst Vacation Ever”. I figured our vacation definitely qualified, so I entered -- and won! That got me started writing other short stories and articles, and before I knew it I was writing a novel!
 

Tell us about your current release.

This Time You Lose is an intense read. It is the terrifying story of Lisa Kaamp, who operates a small childcare business out of her home in the sleepy little town of Nogeksum, Michigan. Highly respected and known for going the extra mile for her daycare kids, Lisa thought she had handled every daycare emergency possible.

But nothing prepared her for the nightmare she now faced. Lisa awakes one morning to find herself bound and gagged, four strange men in her home, and the daycare children being held hostage in the next room. Terrorized by her captors as the authorities work to meet the ransom deadline, she tries negotiating with the men for the release of the children, and soon realizes that at least one of them has no intention of letting anyone go. With the deadline quickly approaching, Lisa must do the unimaginable to protect the children and get everyone out alive.

In 2008 This Time You Lose was named a finalist in the TNBW Strongest Start Novel Competition. Four months later it earned the distinction of being a TNBW Readers Choice Top Ten Novel, and has remained on the Top Ten list ever since. 

In September 2012 This Time You Lose was named as a Finalist for the Kindle Book Review Best Indie Books of 2012 Award.  


Tell us about your next release.
 

I am currently working on a sequel to This Time You Lose, tentatively called Tito’s Revenge. I hope to have it in print sometime next spring.
 

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
 

Somehow I found myself in a family of non-readers! My spouse and adult kids all own print copies of This Time You Lose - but none of them have read it. They try to be supportive of my writing… but really don’t “get it”. Fortunately, my siblings and mom are readers…and are over the top supportive. J 


What is your favorite meal?
 

Pizza and Diet Coke.

Do you play any sports?
 

Does driveway hockey count? J

In high school I was a swimmer, but now I’m part of a “Hockey Family”. With three goalies, two forwards and two defenseman spread across three generations, (youth, high school, and adult leagues) there is always a hockey game going on in the driveway! 

How do you react to a bad review of your book?
 

Not every book is for every reader. I remind myself of this every time I receive an unfavorable review - and I have received a few. It just goes with the territory. I read each review, good or bad, as it comes in, learn what I can from it, and move forward. It doesn’t matter what you write, you will always have a few bad reviews. You can’t let it get you down. I mean really…do you like every book you read?  

Do you have any special routines or rituals?
 

I always have a large cup of coffee nearby, and a tootsie roll pop in my mouth while writing. Weird, I know, but it seems to work for me. However, when I’m in editing mode I need something a bit different -- cookie dough. Double weird, right? Even I think so!
 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

 

Hmmm, that’s easy… I’m female. Most readers assume I’m male, and are very surprised to learn that I am not only a woman, but a mom and grandma too!

 

Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?

 

I have a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson taped to the shelf above my computer. It reads…  “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children…to leave the world a better place…to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

 

Do you have a Website or Blog?


I have both. Well, I have a blog on my website - does that count?

 

Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?

 

The one piece of advice that has always stuck with me applies to everything in life. 
 

“You have the same 24 hours in the day as everybody else. If they can find time to do it, so can you. It’s all a matter of priority.”

 



Chris Stralyn never intended to be a writer. Short-order cook, security guard, safety officer, childcare provider, and teacher were all titles she'd worn - but never writer. Then she entered an essay contest for "The Worst Vacation Ever" and won.

Writing became her new hobby, and soon she had several articles in print with local publications. This was followed by a short story, The Khaki Pants, which was published by RDR Publishing in an anthology that went on to sell over a million copies.

A suspense thriller was her next undertaking, and in 2008 This Time You Lose was named a finalist in the TNBW Strongest Start Novel Competition. Four months later it earned the distinction of being a TNBW Readers Choice Top Ten Novel, and has remained on the Top Ten list ever since.

Chris Stralyn continues to put pen to paper in her endeavor to appease the Muse within. She lives in Michigan with her husband and family.


 
 
 

Enter for a chance to win a Gifted Kindle copy of This Time You Lose.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Like the This Time You Lose Facebook page for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends November 24th 11:59PM Central Time.


 

4 comments:

CMD said...

Oooh, adding this to my TBR queue!

P.S. People assume I'm a bloke as well, since I rarely ever use my full name! :)

adrienne warren said...

this looks like fun can't wait to get started on it, thanks for the review of the book. I do love a good scary read

Karen Arrowood said...

What a nightmare! I can't even imagine being in a situation like this. I just have to know what happens!!

michealgrim said...

this sounds like a great read,my kind of story