Friday, October 26, 2012

The Hidden Blessing by Melissa Buell: Interview

 


 
 
 
 
How do you test for happily ever after?

Nine years ago, Emma became orphaned as a result of the Zynachnean-Mittra War. Although her memories are gone and she has no idea who she is or where she came from, she’s kindly adopted by a fairy and raised inthe small village of Weymouth.

Now eighteen, Emma has come to love the life she’s made with her fairy mother. But tragedy strikes Emma’s home just as Prince Will and his sister, Princess Allessia, travel incognito through Weymouth on their way to Mittra. Allessia offers to hire Emma as her lady’s maid, despite Will’s reluctance.

Once they arrive at the home of Queen Samantha and Prince Nolan in Mittra, Emma’s life rapidly becomes entwined with the lives of the royal family. There are rumors that Princess Emmalyn Meredith, tragically found dead when she was eight years old, did not really die. As a result, girls swarm to Mittra to try and prove they are the missing princess. The idea is presented to hold a series of tests to see if any of the girls are indeed Princess Emmalyn.

Talia, Samantha’s fairy godmother, puts together a series of “princess tests” in order to discover the true identity of the long lost princess. Emma volunteers to help with the tests, which creates more opportunities for her to interact with Prince Will. But emotions run high as Emma tries to decipher her own feelings for Will, who has offered to help her find a proper suitor when it is discovered that she is suddenly heir to a large fortune.

Can Emma discover the truth about her past and attempt to plan her future while navigating the stormy waters of courtly intrigue?
 
 
 

Welcome Melissa!  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I'm thrilled to have this chance to ask you a few questions.  How did you start your writing career?

In 2010. I wrote a book while I was in college and then asked myself, “What do I want to do with this?” I then started on the long and wonderful road of publishing.


Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

I love Elizabeth Bennett from PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen. She is able to say what’s on her mind, she’s intelligent, and she’s brave.



Tell us about your current release.

My current release is THE HIDDEN BLESSING. It is a sequel to my first book in the series THE SEVENTH BLESSING. It follows Samantha’s daughter, Emma. Something mysterious occurs and Emma no longer remembers who she is. The book is about her journey back to her family and her memory. Of course, she falls in love and gets hurt. She’s left with the question, “How do you test for happily ever after?”



What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My husband and kids are my biggest fan club. My husband takes care of the boys when I go out to write about once a week. My kids brag about me to their friends. That’s awesome and embarrassing.


Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

I am blessed to have both! My friend from college, Allison, is my critique partner. We read each other’s work and comment on it. I have several beta readers (guys and girls) that have stuck with me through all three books that I’ve written. It’s very helpful to get a wide variety of beta readers and their different opinions.


Who are your books published with?

My YA fantasy series is published by The Little Things Publishing Co. They are based in Chicago. They have been wonderfully supportive.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I mainly listen to Taylor Swift or Mozart while I write. Sometimes I add a little rock music if I’m writing an intense fighting scene.


What book are you reading now?

I’m currently reading THE MARK OF ATHENA by Rick Riordan. I just finished WATERFALL by Lisa T. Bergen.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A teacher! I’m currently a substitute teacher for jr. high and high school.


You just won a huge lottery what is the first thing you'll buy?
Books! Scads of books!
 
 


 
Melissa Buell has always had a vivid imagination and would fall asleep to scenes she would make up. That then turned into writing those scenes out which turned into...a novel. She graduated cum laude from California State University, Fullerton with a B.A. in English, emphasis on Secondary Education. She is a substitute teacher at the jr. high and high school level. (They aren't that scary, really!) She is also a voracious reader (several books a week) who loves many genres. Favorite pastimes include spending time with her husband and kids, taking photographs, baking, blogging and volunteering. Things that make her smile include descending into her Writer Cave, white daisies, Milano cookies, the scent of lemons, costume parties, children's laughter, fine tip pens, strawberries, honesty, book speaking with friends, singing loudly in the car to Disney musicals and/or Taylor Swift songs.
 
Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook
 
 
 
 
Melissa is currently setting up a blog tour for THE HIDDEN BLESSING, which releases November 1, 2012. If you are a blogger/reviewer and would like to be included, please fill out this form. The tour will run from the end of October to the beginning of December.

Enter for a chance to win a PDF copy of The Hidden Blessing.
2 winners will be chosen if there are more than 10 entries.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends November 17th 11:59PM Central Time.
 

6 comments:

Melissa Buell said...

Thanks for having me, Laurie!! <3

Leslie S. Rose said...

Yay for Elizabeth Bennett! I so want to pop into the worlds you've created in your stories, Melissa - lovely.

sully6189 said...

Sounds wonderful!

Denise Gardner said...

Awesome interview. Book sounds amazing.

Karen Arrowood said...

I wonder why I suspect that Emma might be the missing princess? :: grin:: No matter, the book sounds delightful. I look forward to having the opportunity to read it.

Anonymous said...

It's very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this article at this website.
Feel free to visit my website - how to make an app