Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sharc by Paul Rudd: Character Interview: Bewitching Tour Stop

 




                                                                   

Sharc
Paul Rudd 
Genre: Romance, Adventure, Great Whites
Publisher: Taylor Street Books
ISBN: 1479209899 / 978-1479209897
Number of pages: 285
Word Count: 101,000
Cover Artist: Tim Roux

Book Description:
It's massive, it's intelligent, it's relentless and it's always looking for its next meal or its next challenge.
 
Maxwell Baxter is intent on fulfilling his greatest ambition yet, and he is an ambitious man. He wants to build the largest floating aquarium in the world, an aquarium city, and fill it with all manner of monsters from the depths, the first being a presumed extinct Megalodon he has captured, a prehistoric monster shark currently only thirty-five feet long but destined to grow up to one hundred feet of raw, razor-toothed ravenous greed with extraordinary abilities to detect anything edible or threatening in the water for miles around.
 
In the midst of international financial negotiations to raise the rest of the money to complete his ARC, and with the Governor of California being entertained on his private yacht on his way to review the facility, the Megalodon escapes and begins to terrorize everything in the Pacific, ships and other sea creatures alike, no matter what their size.
 
Maxwell Baxter's future rests on a knife-edge, and the Megalodon has a gigantic mouthful of them, each five feet long and giving it the capability to bite a small whale in half with one snap of its jaws. 

With a Megalodon about, if you are thinking of getting back into the water, don't flatter yourself – you'll barely be a snack. 



 
Character interview with Tyler Baxter
 
Tell us about your family.
The Baxter family (laughs). Do you want the long version or the short version?
Well, my dad is one of the richest men on the planet and is infatuated with being more famous than Branson and Gates. Those two guys have created dynasties that will live on. My dad thought he’d do one better and so he decided to build the Aquatic Research City. He couldn’t be happy with a simple computer programme or a fleet of jets, no, he had to build an entire city, and if that wasn’t enough, he decided to erect it on the ocean. I’d be impressed if he wasn’t my own pop.
I’m a lonely child and my real mom died when I was very young. My stepmom, well, can she categorically be a stepmom if she is the same age as me? Don’t get me wrong, if she wasn’t my mom, sorry, stepmom, and I saw her in a club then she’d be waking up wondering why she can’t stop smiling. And yet, I’m twenty five and of all the chicks I know, none are hitting on guys thirty years older. It must be true love!!! 
Families are dysfunctional, aren’t they?
What do you think makes a good story?
Action, adventure, a bit of romance, a slice of comedy, some horrific moments, some vampires that sparkle (coughs), what the hell is all that about anyhow?
I believe every story needs a character who could be the hero, the villain or someone you love to hate or grow to admire. Wait, am I referring to me?
Me, I’m a good guy, a Lothario, and I hold my own. Do I hold ulterior motives?
I guess what I’m trying to say is, every story needs a Baxter.  
What are your favorite TV shows/movies?
If you like sea creatures then check out Deep Prey I, II & III. Oh, you mean apart from the ones I starred in? Then I’d have to say The Bachelor. I’m just surprised they haven’t asked me yet. I’m the most eligible bachelor on the planet. Although, maybe it’s because I’d just sleep with all the contestants and then leave. Huh, sounds like a good idea to me.
For a movie, I like the Fast and Furious. What are they on now, part ten?
What would we find under your bed?
In an ideal world, I’d like to find a worm hole to another galaxy. In the real world, I hate to say it, but probably women’s underwear and empty champagne bottles. Rolls of cash perhaps?
Life’s hard, isn’t it? (smiles).
What one word best describes you?
 
Legend.
 
What songs are most played on your Ipod?

I’m a sucker for movie soundtracks. The Rocky theme for example, or things that get you stoked, hit a nerve, build your adrenaline until all you want to do is leap from the nearest bridge with a bungee cord around your waist, while singing Sweet Home Alabama at the top of your lungs.
 
I always liked the Rage against the Machine songs at the end credits of the Matrix trilogy. On the way over, I’ve been listening to LL Cool J, Pearl Jam and Pitbull. Now that would be a pretty cool union.
 
Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it? And do you have any advice of your own?
 
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller, 1986.
 
My advice is, “don’t think what are we going to do. Think, what aren’t we going to do?” I guess that’s why I live life to the max. Wait, I think that was another Ferris Bueller quote?
 
What is the next big thing?
 
The Aquatic Research City’s pretty big, does that count as an answer?
 
 



 

Ask a multi-award winning thespian if they would prefer a star on Hollywood Boulevard’s Walk of Fame or have the chance to write about a prehistoric shark and they’d take the easy option every time. Me? Sharks are a passion, they always have been. Not to say I have actually met any face to face or relied on a shark cage to keep me out of harm’s way; cos that’s just dumb! 

So say hello to the real Paul Rudd. I’m a geek, pure and simple and a far throw from celebrity. I write lots. I’ve watched movies since birth, which probably makes a lot of sense to those who know me well.

My brain is a minefield of ideas just waiting to detonate and making them available has always been a dream. Now, with thanks to Taylor Street, I have managed to take my first step into the unknown. 

So now starts the latest saga of my life and a little like the original Lord of the Rings cartoon, the outcome remains up in the air. If only the late Ralph Bakshi was here to conclude it... alas for now I will carry on chasing my own Moby Dick; the great white tooth of a Megalodon, so if anyone has a spare?  

This is Paul Rudd of the Nostromo signing off…….
 
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog



Tour Page


Next Few Stops
 

October 21 Interview
Laurie’s Non-Paranormal
 

October 22 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom
 

October 27 Promo and review
Mimmi's Musings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Laurie. Love & peace. Tyler Baxter (aka Paul Rudd, thanks for letting me plug my book, much appreciated).

R.R.Jones said...

Great interview with Baxter junior. Just glad you caught him before the Shark did ;-)