Wednesday, September 19, 2012

She Belongs to Me by Carmen deSousa: Interview & Special Excerpt

 


 
 
After secrets and a mysterious background leave a wife's life hanging by a thread, a husband must look for answers in the only place he knows--the past.

When wealthy construction company owner and Charlotte detective, Jordan Monroe, meets Jaynee for the first time he is awestruck and determines to make her his wife. Jaynee, however, has a history she cannot easily overcome and is fearful to submit to love. Jordan succeeds in making her his wife, but five years into their marriage, he realizes she is keeping secrets. Before he can decipher her duplicity, he discovers her unconscious in their home from a gunshot wound only hours after giving her an ultimatum concerning their relationship.

With Jaynee's life hanging in the balance, the mystery of her past drives Jordan to investigate. But what appears to be an attempted suicide turns out to be something far darker. Is someone from her past stalking her? Or worse, is someone close to Jordan trying to kill them both? As Jordan edges closer to the truth, it may be deadlier than he could ever have imagined.

 

 
 

 

How did you start your writing career?
 

In college, my intention was to be a book editor and/or writer. My professors insisted I had potential and not to give up, but life sometimes gets in the way. In the eighties, it simply wasn’t feasible for me. But two and a half years ago, I quit a fifteen-year career in sales and marketing, and dove in with all ten fingers and toes. I penned four novels, shared them with my best friend and cousin, and received their encouragement to publish. I spent the next ten months researching and querying publishing. After six months of rejections, I rewrote my query letter, and BAM, that was the missing link. I received offers from several publishers and agents. In the end, I decided to publish with a smaller independent publisher, who would have my book available in three months instead of eighteen. I now have two romantic-suspense bestsellers, and my third novel just released September 2012.


How do you describe your writing style?
 

My favorite question, which I happen to have two answers.
 

Short answer: I write romantic-suspense.

Long answer: I characterize my stories as modern-day fairytales, as they are overflowing with romance, mystery, suspense, and of course, tragedy. After all, what would a fairytale be without a tragic event setting the stage? All of my novels are sensual, but not erotic, gripping but not graphic and will hopefully make you cry, laugh, love, and hope.
 

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
 

Ending them. I live and breathe my characters. I reread the last four to six chapters every night—sometimes the entire story—before going to bed. That way the characters come alive and play out in my dreams. By the time I finish a book, I can almost quote it to you verbally. So, saying goodbye to them is almost like losing a friend.

Tell us about your next release.
 

My next novel is a spin-off. When Noonday Ends is a follow up to Land of the Noonday Sun. After several of my readers fell in love with one of my characters, hating that they didn’t get their happily ever after—not all my characters get an HEA—I decided the character was worthy of their own book. Sorry, I can’t tell you who, as that would ruin Land of the Noonday Sun for you. J
 

Plotter or Pantser?
 

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I’m a pantser. When I get an idea, I just start typing. My first two novels are true whodunits, rarely does a reader ever tell me that they figured out the mystery, even though I never trick. When asked, my readers admit all the clues were there. My trick…shh don’t tell anyone…I don’t even know who the proverbial “bad guy” is until they reveal themselves at the end. Of course, I do go back and make sure I fill in any holes, though. J
 

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
 

This is always something that surprises people, but it’s the truth. Other than the best friend and cousin who I mentioned above, the only other person I told was my fifteen-year-old son. No, not even my husband. When I received the contract to publish, I decided I’d better tell him. I took him to a coffee shop and started to cry as I tried to tell him; he cried too. And he’s a big, tough guy. I think he thought I was leaving him after twenty-one years. LOL! I still have yet to tell my mother and a few of my relatives, but that’s a story for another day.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
 

Is that a rhetorical question? Read, of course! J



 
 

Carmen’s first two novels, She Belongs to Me and Land of the Noonday Sun, have reached bestseller status right alongside Nicholas Sparks, J.D. Robb, and other great authors. Her third novel, Entangled Dreams, just released September 2012.

She loves talking about all things books, so please connect with her via one of the links below.
 
Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads
 
 


 from Entangled Dreams:
Prologue

 

As a child, Alexandra Nicole was a princess in a fairytale. Her royal family would spend every Sunday on the pristine beaches of Destin together. Her father, the king, would carry her on his shoulders, pretending to be her noble steed as he pranced around at her behest. He would battle dragons, the vicious Chihuahua that chased them; conquer new worlds, also known as a sand dune further down the beach; and build elaborate castles, well actually, sandcastles.

If her father was the king, then her mother was most definitely the queen. She would laugh softly under her umbrella as she watched Alexandra and her father roll in the gentle surf. When her mother did venture into the crystal-clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico, her long, platinum hair would blow softly in the breeze, her blue eyes sparkled like the water below her, and her skin glistened from the ever-present sunshine in their lives.

But alas, as in any good fairytale, everything good and wonderful must come to an end.

After the tragic accident that snatched her mother away from Alexandra, her father moved them away from the beaches of Destin to another beach in Florida. Cocoa Beach.

Cocoa Beach was loud, the water murky, and there were no weekend adventures as there had been in Destin.

Her father married her evil stepmother, Lilith, who Alexandra was certain was a witch with her long, black as midnight hair and pale-white skin as if she’d never seen sunlight. Her father had admitted he wasn’t in love with Cruella, as she had come to think of the witchy woman, but that he’d wanted Alexandra to have a mother and siblings.

Well, she definitely got that.

The king started staying out later and later at night, and the princess had to do excessive amounts of chores around her new castle. Her stepmother treated her like a pariah; certainly, she’d rather have the dogs at their dinner table. Her stepsisters were ugly inside and out and were forever jealous of Alexandra and her golden-blonde tresses. Anything nice Alexandra ever received mysteriously disappeared.

Alexandra knew something was wrong with her father, but she was too young to understand. Her father, forever the happy-go-lucky guy, had turned to drinking to drown his troubles. 

It sounds like your typical fairytale, but it isn’t. There are no furry creatures to help the princess prepare a gown for the prom, no fairy godmother to waive her magic wand and produce glass slippers. In fact, at age sixteen Alexandra found herself living on her own with no family contact and no prospects of a healthy, normal life.

Alexandra had only one advantage, if you could call it that. Alexandra was beautiful. But so far, her beauty had not opened any doors; actually, it had only caused her misery.

The only people who welcomed Alexandra were the outcasts. The parents of other losers in school fortunately didn’t care who slept over and what they did when they stayed the night. So, Alexandra Nicole, now deciding to go by Nicky, as she was no longer a princess, found herself wandering from house to house throughout her remaining high school years.     

And then she met him…
 
Now available in print and eBook formats:
 



 
Enter for a chance to win a
 Print or Digital copy of She Belongs to Me.
Print Option is open  to Continental US shipping only.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Like Carmen DeSousa on Facebook  for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends October 20th 11:59PM Central Time. 




 
 

4 comments:

Kelly R said...

Thank you so much for the giveaway..

ronnkelly3@aol.com

Carmen DeSousa said...

Thanks for having me, Laurie, you have a beautiful website.

Goldenmane said...

Excellent interview. I'm eager to read this book.

Anonymous said...

Thx for the great give away. The book sounds exciting to me.
Dianne Parchman