Sunday, September 23, 2012

Elemental by Kelbian Noel: Guest Post & Excerpt

 


 
 

 
 
Elemental
The Elementals, Book 1
Kelbian Noel
Genre: Young Adult Urban Fantasy
ASIN: B008MZ59Q0
Number of pages: 364
Word Count: 71,279
Cover Artist: Kelbian Noel 

Book Description: 
Baltimore Land is a typical teenager whose parents embarrass her completely. She wants nothing to do with her family's beliefs and is convinced their silly rituals only exist to make her life miserable. All she wants is to be normal, but the fact that her parents are witches seriously messes with her social life.

She's doing alright, with a boyfriend who seems to like her just the way she is and an awesome best friend who is fascinated by her lifestyle, but she's not the most popular girl in her small Utah town. In fact, she's kind of the town freak.

When her boyfriend's ex tries to win him back, Baltimore's emotions get the best of her and she soon realizes her parents' beliefs aren't so silly after all--they're just the beginning.


The Truth About Parents 

Parents can be overbearing. I’m one, and I’ve got them, so I know. And it seems that once kids reach a certain age, the “magical” ability we have to make them believe whatever we say, is lost forever.  I have an eleven year old and I think I lost those powers about a year ago.

But what we soon come to find out (around the age of 25, once we’ve left home, had our first heart-break and made a series of mistakes) is that our parents (mothers especially) are usually always right.

That guy wasn’t dating material. You should have stuck with your major. And making a habit of cleaning your room, just for the sake of organization, does pay off in the end.

Baltimore is no different than most teenagers. Her parents’ beliefs are unreal to her—mostly annoying and her grandpa’s even more so.

But she’s about to learn the same type of lesson, most of us always do.
 

“I’m telling you that girl is in the astral plane.” Grandpa’s voice filters through the speakerphone, filling the room.

There was a time those words would have landed on skeptical ears. I glance at Mom and Dad. By the looks of it, not anymore.

“Like I said before, baby girl may not have intended to do harm, but when she pointed that gun, she hit her target.”

I scoff. “So what are you saying?”

“You sent her there. With your power.” Grandpa’s tone is matter-of-fact, like we’re discussing plans for dinner. “The same power you used to give your daddy a heart attack.”

I stare at Mom and Dad, waiting for a reaction. Dad shakes his head, urging me to leave it alone. Then they both focus on the phone sitting on the coffee table in front of us.

Now I’ve heard it all.

“Very funny, Grandpa. You expect me to believe I banished Kara? That’s insane. Actually I take that back. It’s impossible. It doesn’t even make sense. The astral plane? What is that, like hell?”

“Of course not.” Grandpa laughs. “There’s no such thing. It’s a spiritual realm. A place not for the living. Souls go there before being brought back to this world.”

This is getting ridiculous.

Dad strokes his chin.

“Been there myself.” Grandpa continues. “It’s a place that’s often a reflection of what you’re feeling. Your fears, your desires.”

“What do you mean you’ve been there yourself?” I ask.

My head is spinning. Over the past few hours I’ve developed a persistent migraine that refuses to quit. None of this is making sense. They’re talking like all of this is so natural, normal. But how can it be? How can a simple thought send someone to another dimension? How could there even be another dimension?

“Please. Can we just stop this? For the longest time, we’ve listened to your stories, Grandpa. To all of your ideas about Wicca. The rituals, the spells, the deeper meaning of things. But what you’re saying defies logic. It’s not possible for one human being to banish another. Especially to a place like that. Isn’t that up to the gods? Mom? Dad?”

“Hey.” Grandpa’s response is sharp. “I’m the expert here.”

Baltimore.” Dad nods toward the phone.

“I’m sorry, Grandpa.” I wave my hands to get Mom’s attention. “A little help?” I mouth.

Mom shrugs and it takes everything inside of me to suppress a frustrated growl.

Deep breaths, Baltimore. “Okay, so hypothetically speaking. Say I was a witch, which, keep in mind, I’m not. Free pass and all. Remember?”

“What does she mean by that?” Grandpa asks.

“It’s nothing, Pops.” Dad looks over at me, jaw clenched, eyes bugged. “We’ll talk about it later.”

I mouth ‘sorry’ then turn my attention back to the phone. “But Grandpa, even if all this were true, it would take a heck of a lot of power for me to cast a spell like that don’t you think?”

“It sure does,” Grandpa responds. “It sure does.”

Unable to hold my frustration in anymore, I sigh loudly and push away from the countertop. “I have a headache.”

“Probably from sipping on that port.” Grandpa chuckles.

I turn my back, ignoring the joke, then stalk to my room.

 

When I emerge a few hours later, I slog out into the living room to find Mom and Dad chatting quietly. The fire crackles in front of them filling the room with the comforting scent of smoke and pine.

I receive sympathetic smiles from both.

“Tea?” Mom eases out of her cozy seat and steps into the kitchen.

The beverage of drama.

Snug in my pajamas, I curl up next to Dad on the sofa. “So what’s up? What else did Grandpa say?”

He nudges me with his shoulder. “You know you could have stuck around. I think you hurt the old man’s feelings.”

“I wasn’t trying to. This is all just so frustrating. Twenty-four hours ago you thought Grandpa was a kook, now you’re defending him?”

“I’ve never said that. He’s not a kook. He’s opinionated, original, but he’s my father and when things don’t make sense, who else can you turn to?”

He has a point.

“So.” Mom approaches again and settles down next to me. “Your father and I need to talk to you about something. Promise me you’ll keep an open mind.”

I wrinkle my brow. “Okay. What about?”

“What do you think about spending the holidays in Maryland this year?” Mom glances at Dad.

“With Grandpa?”

They can’t be serious. I haven’t been to Maryland in years. I’ve never been there alone. Besides, I have plans.

“You haven’t seen him in a while. It might be nice to catch up.”

“Catch up? Are you for real? What about L.A.?  My whole class is going. I’ve already paid for my ticket.”

“They’re refundable, aren’t they?” Mom asks.

“That’s not the point. I really want to be there. I promised Bridgett I’d go. She’s going to be so disappointed.” I swallow hard.

My first instinct is to burst into tears, but I doubt it’ll do me any good.

“You know, Baltimore,” Dad says. “Whatever happened today, I think a visit would be good. For both of you. You’re grandfather is always going to believe what he believes, unless it isn’t true. And you…well, you’ve got some figuring out to do.” His voice sounds robotic, like he’s been rehearsing for hours.

This isn’t about a reunion at all. It’s about proving one of us wrong. So much for a Wicca-free life.

Mom clears her throat. “Your father and I think it would be a good idea for you to spend some time with Grandpa, get to know your Wicca side better.”

“But you said I didn’t have to. You said since I’m almost eighteen, I could—”

“That was before,” Mom strokes my face.

“Before you completely changed your view of the world? Before you let Grandpa determine what’s real and what isn’t? This isn’t fair. I have a life and you’re just yanking the rug from underneath me like none of that matters.”

Baltimore, I know we gave you a choice. And you deserve that, nothing’s changed. We just think it’s best to…”

“Humor, Grandpa?” I scoff and get up from the sofa. “Everything he’s saying is ridiculous. You can’t actually believe him.”

“All I know is,” Dad says. “Magic is the real deal. There’s a girl missing and that fire wasn’t started by pillar candle and some salt.”

Mom sits on the edge of the chair. “If there’s a chance he’s right, it’s a chance you can’t take. So many things have happened in the last few days that need an explanation. There’s no one better to help come up with one. Your Grandpa may have a unique view of the world, but he’s also got a good handle on Wicca. Like it or not, you need him right now.”

“Please.” I hold Mom’s gaze. “Can’t I go on my trip first and deal with this later?”

“And what if something really has happened to Kara? Something you’re responsible for. You’ll never be able to forgive yourself if you let it slide.”

I can’t believe this happening. They’ve totally bought Grandpa’s theory.

“Don’t forget, you’re the one that got yourself into this mess. No one forced you to do that spell. Your mother’s right.” Dad rises from the chair and puts a hand on my shoulder. “You have a responsibility.”

I stare at them, my mouth falling open. They’ve actually gone back on their word. They’ve never done that before. But I can see there’s no getting out of this one.

“Are you guys coming too?”

Mom shakes her head. “I think you need to this on your own. It’ll be good for you. Don’t worry, honey. You’ll be back before you know it.”
 


 

From a very young age, Kelbian loved to read. She found herself engulfed in novels by Janette Oke and L.M. Montgomery, but never seemed to find herself in the pages. At the age of 11 she declared she would write stories that had to do with her own experience, and be the youngest author in history. But life was full of baseball, homework, best friends and boys.

Decades later, having studied writing in college and pursued it as a career, Kelbian decided it was time to get back to her dream. She started writing again, joined a critique group and wrote two novels. Then in March 2011, along came Elemental. This time life's distractions couldn't shake the feeling that the world needed to hear Baltimore's story. At least those who would listen! A year later, Kelbian is excited to introduce Elemental to the world with hopes someone will love the story as much as she does.

Kelbian lives in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with her two children.
 
Amazon  |  Goodreads  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog

 

 
September 22 Guest blog
Lisa’s World of Books
 
September 23 Guest blog
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts & Reviews
 
September 24th Guest blog
 
September 25 Promo
The Book Hoard:
 
September 26 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom





Tour wide Giveaway

One digital copy of Elemental along with some witchy swag:
Swag Includes:

1 "Coexist" bumper sticker

1 smoky quartz sphere with a wooden holder

1 wooden incense burner

2 packs of stick incense (Dragon's Blood and Super Hit)

1 "Magick Happens" magnet

5 mini pillar candles with a blue and gold satchel
 
 
a Rafflecopter giveaway
 
 


Bewitching Banner



Post a Comment