Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Road by Patrena Miller: Interview & Excerpt



Bethany is a gorgeous lady who has everything that life has to offer.  She relies on her best friend Dottie to help her learn to mingle and not be single; but she connects with a guy and finds herself fighting for her life.  The road is not her own.


"The Road"    Chapter 1 

“WATCH OUT!  STOP!”  Bethany yelled.  The sound of fear in the voice of Bethany sent chills through Mason’s body as he gripped the steering wheel, wondering what was wrong he slammed on the breaks trying not to swerve out of control; there was no time to react, no time to be defensive and no time to ask questions...  you could hear the rubber tires squealing against the pavement as smoke filled the air.  All was silent, the tension built when Bethany could not hear Mason’s voice.  She looked around the car, what was left of it, searching for any signs of Mason.  Bethany attempted to get out of the car when she noticed that she was bleeding from her head. 

“Shit, Shit, Shit!”  Bethany said panicking.  “Ok, ok, ok Bethany, lets not get overwhelmed here,” she said to herself trying not to get worried at the sight of blood.  “Mason, where are you?  Mason, can you hear me?”  Mason, she cried out again, not knowing what to think, Bethany quickly got to her feet.  Bethany noticed that it was dark out; she began wondering how long she was knocked unconscious. She walked around the car yelling Mason’s name, hoping that he would answer… the calmness of the night air made Bethany very fretful.  “I knew I should have stayed my ass at home, why did I let him talk me into going to his house just to sit down and have a conversation?  Hell, I could have done that at home; but Mama and Chester would have over heard us and that is the last thing I need is for them to be in my business filling my head up with more worries.” 

“Oh my goodness, I am miles away from my home and there is nothing around for about another 10 miles; wait a minute (pausing) where exactly am I?”  Looking around, Bethany realized that she was not that far from Mason’s neighborhood.  It was not that close however it was all she had to go on for now; it was getting later and later, the only thing that Bethany was concerned with was finding a place to lay her head and hopefully to find Mason.  Walking the dark, beaten road, Bethany began to talk to herself. 


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

 I do not have any place in particular that I want to visit. I normally just like to go places and visit and hopefully an attraction will develop. It is a different look to everyone as to what place is the greatest place to visit when traveling.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I like to write as often & long as I can; however, time & other obligations does not always permit me to write at a steady pace. What I like to do is spend time in the day and evening to write when time permits; this way I am not rushing anything. I do like to write when my mind is refreshed, this way my mind is not cluttered with things I have to do. I am always thinking of my characters and what he/she is experiencing; constantly.

     What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My siblings have been supportive & a couple of cousins as well. They keep me encouraged and they are my WOM [word of mouth]; always spreading the word about what I am doing. I have been told that if I ever want to write anything personal that I embellish them a lot; however, I do not foresee any personal novels or books in the future.


     Do you have critique partners or beta readers?


Yes, I do have beta readers and I like to mix it up with diversified people of different backgrounds & career levels. My goal is to reach all readers; no matter where they are. This way I have many view points from people in different states or parts of the country.


Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?

I do hear from my readers, they keep in contact with me through my blogger, email, and/or fan page. Recently, I have been hearing that I should create a sequel to my novel "The Road". I am sorry to say, but that particular novel is a short story novel; I am sure they will appreciate the other novels, that I am creating and writing.

Describe what it's like to be an author in three words.

Dedication, Creativity, and Time.

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

I am working on two other novels that I am looking to publish soon. I will post more about this when the date is near. I am planning to post work on my poems that I’ve written; also, I am going to create a poetry book with other poetry writers.


Patrena Miller (born in Chicago, Illinois) is a woman best described as a person of many talents; her stature and confidence is seen in her presence, she is beauty, success, boldness and a nurturing woman. Patrena enjoys educational material and helping others to realize their own talents; her work entails HR, Notary of Public, Tax Preparation, and Office Administration. In her own words, “I have never been a reader as a child, however I realized my potential was in writing, poetry, and capturing the imagination to share with others.”

Website  |  Blog  |   Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Smashwords  |  Goodreads 

No comments: