Monday, July 16, 2012

The House On The Creek by Sarah Remy: Interview

Romance


Everett Anderson has returned to Williamsburg, Virginia, after more than a decade away from his family estate. Abby Ross has spent the last year renovating the same estate, turning the dilapidated Anderson mansion into a show piece. Everett and Abby shared a childhood rife with difficulties and ripe with first love. Now adults, their paths cross again and sparks fly.
Kindle  |  Goodreads  |  Nook



Welcome!  Thanks for stopping in today.  I'm happy to get this opportunity to find out a little more about you.  How did you start your writing career?


I started writing in 3rd grade, during an extra long bout with the chicken
pox. My mom handed me The Hobbit to read in bed, and I devoured it.
When I finished the book I didn’t want to leave the characters behind. So I
grabbed a composition book and pen and started penning Middle Earth fan
fiction, simply for my own entertainment.

I haven’t stopped writing since then. I majored in Creative Writing in college,
and sold my college thesis - a science fiction romp - to a small press after
graduation.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?


Totally Pantser. I laugh because most authors say the same thing: “My
characters take over the story!” It’s cliche, but it’s true. I go into a
manuscript with a bare bones outline, but rarely does the finished product
read as I originally planned. I’m constantly surprised by the people in my
head that show up and make themselves heard.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?


I wanted to be a romance author, of course. But in my spare time I planned
to ride Olympic show jumping horses and win a multitude of gold medals.
Life didn’t turn out quite that way, but I do have horses and at age 40 I’m
still riding them over fences. Gold medals are less important than they were
at age 10.



How do you react to a bad review of your book?

Bad reviews don’t bother me as much as they used to. One cheerful reviewer
out there described one of my science fiction stories as “relentlessly
morose”. He was right, and my husband loves to quote that particular review
at me whenever I’m feeling grumpy.

The secret to writing - and really to life in general - is don’t take yourself too
seriously. 

New York or LA? Why?

New York. I grew up in Southern California and lived the LA lifestyle. I’ve
only been to New York once or twice. I find it exotic and enticing at the same time.
I love the architecture, and the fashion, and most of all I love the fact
that in the city you’re never alone but you can be exactly as anonymous as
you like.


I’ll confess that at the moment I’ll watch almost anything on tv as long as
it’s set in Manhattan.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Anything by Brandi Carlile. Ben Folds, The Counting Crows. But mostly Dave
Matthews. I love Dave, and see his show whenever I can. But, if you haven’t
tried Brandi Carlile yet, look her up. She’s gorgeous and her voice is
astounding.



Entice us, what future projects are you considering?


At the moment I’m working on a YA novel, because my twelve year old
daughter asked me to write her a story. It’s set in the DC underground and
the main character is a boy named Winter. I’ve written up a nice girlfriend
for him, but he’s refusing to fall in love, which is problematic.



I’m also thinking off and on about the next James Creek novel.


What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I’m terrified of water pipes. I can manage any DIY in my old house, but if it
has to do with plumbing, I’d rather let the basement flood than caulk a pipe.
That’s sounds very Freudian of me, but sometimes a stinky old pipe is just a
stinky old pipe.




I write fiction to keep real life from getting out of hand, I jump pretty horses over pretty fences because it's a distraction from the real and the fantastic, I do Sun Salutations between 6 am and 7 am because I believe in discipline, and I live in an old house because I believe the best things last more than 100 years.


Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of The House on the Creek in the format of your choice.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Giveaway ends August 4th 11:59 PM Central Time.



No comments: