Saturday, June 2, 2012

Time for a Killing by John L. Evans: Interview & Excerpt

Mystery/Suspense




Set against the City of Angels' glittering facade, Linda Brenner, the beautiful wife of an LAPD police officer is shot and killed, execution-style in her Hollywood apartment.  No witnesses.  No clues.  No suspects.  A serial killer preying on Sunset Boulevard prostitutes has terrorized the city.  Police Officer, Juan Mendoza is accused of extortion, robbery, infidelity.  A woman's obsession turns foul when she hires a hit-man to 'eliminate' her husband.  These are the shocking elements that snare LAPD homicide detectives, Joe Kellermann and Mike Rodriguez in a web of blackmail, deception and murder...

Kindle 


Time for a Killling is FREE on Amazon for the next 5 Days so get your copy!!





Friday, December 11, 2009. The El Conquistador. 1452 North Larrabee. A couple of blocks north of Sunset Boulevard. A 1950s stucco job with a fake Spanish facade. For Detective Lieutenant Joe Kellermann, it was Home Sweet Home. Kellermann, close to hitting forty, was tall, lean, muscularly-built, good-looking. His ex-wife, Carolyn, whom he'd accidentally found out was banging another cop (an ex-partner, no less) had also described him as being unpredictably brusque, impatient at times with a ballsy, aggressive attitude. He usually came across as the cerebral tough guy.

If there was once attractive feature to his one-bedroom, second-story, shoe-box of an apartment, it would have to have been the small balcony which offered an unobstructed and breathtaking view of the city. It was a carpet of dazzling lights and neon which stretched all the way to the ocean. Kellermann lay outstretched on a wicker chaise, nursing a Heinekin and quietly smoking. The unmistakable sounds of Il Divo, singing Unchained Melody, filled the air. A summer wind had kicked up revealing a clear, crystalline night brilliant with stars. A full moon. There was the faint rustle of palm trees; the melodic tinkling of wind chimes, somewhere off in the distance. Los Angeles at night could be a magical place.


Kellermann had just taken a deep drag on his cigarette when he stiffened somewhat. It was the jarring sound of his cell phone. He reached over to a nearby table and picked up. "Yeah. Kellermann here." He could hear the rough, graveled voice of Captain Frank Russo, chief honcho at the Hollywood Station. "Yeah, Joe. It's me. Russo."


"What's up?"


"Just got a 911 call from an apartment at 8000 Sunset. The Sunset Towers. Female down. Believe to be the wife of one or our own. Officer Mark Brenner."


"Aw, shit!"


"I've already notified the M.E. and Forensics. They should be there by now."


Kellermann nodded. "Good."


"Also called Detective Rodriguez. He's on his way as we speak. Joe, I need you to get over there, ASAP.

 Okay?


"Yeah, Cap. I'm on my way!"


"8000 Sunset Boulevard."

 
"You got it, Frank." And he clicked off the cell.


Who do you imagine is your ideal reader?

I would say my ideal reader is anyone from age eighteen to eighty. My readers are those people who enjoy a good story, preferably the mystery/suspense genre. In this particular novel (my 16th) because of the subject matter, the reader will be faced with a number of controversies. There will be differences of opinion. Conflict. And of course, conflict is the oil that makes the engine run.

How did you start your writing career?

My interest in writing started in high school, when I would hand-print short novels that were passed around to my classmates. (Later, came the typewriter.) Because of my earnest desire to write for films, I left my home in Canada and moved to Los Angeles. I attended many writing classes and worked with collaborators, hoping to break into television. My first solo screenplay, Prescription: Murder did the rounds with Hollywood studios and did not click so I decided to self-publish the work as a novel. This was a most gratifying experience for me and it became the first of many published novels in the mystery/suspense genre. These included Vanished and two sequels, Deadly Intentions and Murder In Monte Carlo. All three novels have European locations, notably the French Riviera, Paris and Berlin. In January, 2012, I added a 5th novel to my Kindle List: Deliver Us From Evil.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use a set formula?

I am always on the look-out for story ideas. Newspapers. Magazines. TV. Life. I try to make a story as plausible and as entertaining as I can. I usually write capsules or composites of the characters and begin with a fairly detailed outline; sometimes 20 pages or more. That does not mean I follow the outline step by step. As the story progresses, new ideas develop and I try to incorporate them. Being a nighthawk, I usually write in the afternoon from noon until dinner time. When a scene begins to form and excites me, and I can't sleep, I have been known to work on it at 2,3 and 4 a.m.

What authors most inspire you?

Scott Turow, John Grisham, James Ellroy, Michael Connelly, Patricia Highsmith, Raymond Chandler.

I’m with you on each of those authors, but I would also include Robert Crais on my list.  How have you promoted your work?

I have had my books published by various POD publishers. Despite the horror stories I've heard (missing pages, pages printed upside down, the cover falling away from the text) all four publishers have produced a very professional product. The only complaint I have had, was that the publishers would do little or nothing to promote the book. Consequently, I was left to promote the work strictly on my own steam. This meant personal contacts, newspaper advertising, press releases, book signings. I have also signed up with Facebook and Twitter.

Have you ever had problems with an agent?

In the late 1960s, I wrote a 1-hour script for a TV Western series: The High Chaparral. I made a fortunate (or was it unfortunate?) connection with a Beverly Hills agent. He read it, liked it, and decided to take it on. Months went by. Nothing. Because it was the opening season for the TV series, Bonanza, the Hollywood Reporter had included a review of the show. In just that brief review, I knew my story for The High Chaparral had been "lifted." During this time, I was making every effort to contact the literary agent (currently out of business.) In a word, I was being 'stonewalled.' Every time I tried to reach the agent, I was told, "Sorry, he's in a board meeting, or he's at lunch right now, or sorry, he's out of town!" He never returned my calls. I have always speculated that the agent turned my script over to one of his clients and said, "Rewrite this script for Bonanza and I can sell it." Incidentally, Paramount made a settlement for $6,000, the going rate for a 1-hour script at that time.

Tell us about your next release?

As mentioned previously, Prescription: Murder, was the first of my work to be published. It was published by Commonwealth Publications in Edmonton, Canada. (The company has since gone out of business.) I revised the novel and it was republished by AuthorHouse. I am presently involved with expanding and further revising the book for a Kindle publication. I am also working on a screenplay version of Time For A Killing.


  John L. Evans was born in Corsham, England and raised in Kimberley, a small mining town in British Columbia, Canada. He attended the Vancouver School of Art, on a Fine Arts Scholarship and emigrated to the United States in September, 1948. He lives near Los Angeles, California.



Time For A Killing is his latest mystery/suspense novel.  This follows Ten Sunset Plaza Drive and TheHouse On Lake Street, which were published by iUniverse.  Another recent novel, Deliver Us From Evil, the story of 12-year-old Danny Novak, who disappears from a Catholic Boys' Summer Camp, was published by Amazon Kindle.  Xlibris published 5 novels, including To Catch A Killer,  A Question Of Murder and EyesOf A Killer.

 Amazon Author Page 

Time for a Killling is FREE on Amazon for the next 5 Days so get your copy!!


BN Books:
The House on Lake Street
Ten Sunset Plaza Drive






Post a Comment