Friday, June 1, 2012

The Scorpion by James A Anderson: Interview

Thriller




MORE MURDER, ACTION, ROMANCE

The Daily Express chronicles continue. Bringing you more news, more murder, action and romance.

The Scorpion is a terrorist. A nameless, faceless killer leading a team that plans to attack North America bringing death and destruction in a daring scheme called Operation Saladin.

Katie Cannon and Andrew Chase are planning their wedding, but their happy day may bring more than they expect.

This fast-paced, page-turning thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat!


Today I'm very pleased to welcome James Anderson to my blog.  Thanks for agreeing to sit down with me so we can find out a little about you.  Ready? Good.  Let's begin then.  How did you start your writing career? What was your first sale as an author?

I’ve been writing stories since I was about 8-years old. But I seriously began writing in my teens and sold my first short story to a Canadian teen magazine when I was 16. I wrote my first novel, a spy thriller when I was 18 but it didn’t sell or get published. It really wasn’t very good and too derivative of James Bond. But I enjoyed the challenge of writing a novel.

I became interested in journalism and pursued a 35-year career as a reporter and editor for weekly and daily newspapers after university. But it didn’t leave much time for fiction writing so I put it on the back burner until I retired four years ago and started to write thrillers based on my newspaper experiences.

 A serial killer -- The Wolfman – prowls
 the streets of Toronto kidnapping
 young professional women, then targets
 crime reporter Katie Cannon who has
 been writing about his rampage. Trevor
Trevanian, a foreign correspondent in
Afghanistan, is abducted by al-Qaida and
 taken on a perilous journey to Pakistan
 to face an uncertain fate. Deadline combines
 murder and action in a big city newspaper.
Tell us about your current release.  I understand it's the second book in a planned trilogy, correct?



My current release is The Scorpion and is a sequel to my first thriller Deadline. It contains murder, action and romance woven around a series of sub-plots which gives readers an insight into how daily newspapers operate and pursue their stories. Deadline is my debut novel.

 Who is your favorite author?


Probably Michael Connelly. Like me, a former newspaper reporter who writes fast-paced, page turning thrillers. I can only hope to some day write as good as he does. Selling millions of copies also would be nice.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I like to listen to classical music when I write. Mostly Mozart or Beethoven. I find them soothing, inspirational and great background music.
When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I usually write every morning from 9-12. I’m retired so don’t want to do it full time. I have family, dogs and other interests. The afternoons and evenings are usually free for those things. But mornings are my writing time. It’s also when I’m at my freshest.
What books have most influenced your life?

Thrillers, mysteries and spy novels. Love em. My favorite writers are Michael Connelly, Lee Child, John Le Carre, Ian Fleming and others of that ilk.
Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

My spouse, family and friends and former journalism colleagues read my early drafts and are most helpful in spotting my flubs and making suggestions to improve the manuscript or the story line. You need that independent input because as author you are often too close to the story.


Thank you so much for taking this time with me today.  I've enjoyed it and wish you every success.


James A. Anderson was born in 1948 in Glasgow, Scotland. His early education was in Scotland and England before his family emigrated to Canada in 1957. He completed his high school and university education in Canada. He is a graduate of McMaster University with an Honours BA in History in 1972.


He became a journalist in Canada and has worked 35 years in daily and weekly newspapers before retiring in 2005. He is now a thriller writer with his first novel DEADLINE published in September 2010.

"I've always been an avid reader of thrillers and mystery novels," says Anderson. "I decided to write a thriller combining my love of the genre with life in a big city newspaper."


Anderson recently published his second thriller, The Scorpion, a sequel to DEADLINE.


Anderson lives with his wife Sherry and two Basenjis, Remba and Wakili, in London. Ontario, Canada. He has two grown children and four grandchildren.


 
Post a Comment