Monday, June 18, 2012

Ice Princess by Jennifer Anderson: Interview

YA Contemporary




The Honey Creek Royalty Series (Book One)

Mya Newman never minded the routine or quiet that came with living in Honey Creek, Ohio. For her senior year, she craves something exciting to happen instead of it melting into a cookie cutter routine like the previous years.

When a new girl, Audrey Moore, moves to town, Mya finds herself caught in a triangle. She discovers hidden feelings for her best friend, Michael Graves, but he seems to have eyes for the new girl.

After Mya’s father becomes ill and eventually passes, she turns to her best friend, Michael. He never leaves her side, but she wonders if he’d rather be elsewhere. With fear of rejection and loss of friendship, Mya decides she can’t confess her recently discovered feelings.

When Michael and Mya share a dance at the Winter Formal, does she open her heart to him? Or does she shy away, forever longing to be the princess who finds her prince?  
            
Smashwords  |  Goodreads  |  Kindle    |  Nook  |  Kobo




Welcome, Jennifer!  I’m so happy to have this chance to find out more about you and your book.  Thanks for stopping in!



Thank you so much for having me on today. I’m over the moon excited and totally love the questions. 

I can tell you’re all set, let’s get started, shall we?


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?



Funny you ask because one time I blogged about being a writing vampire. Seriously! I find I function better after the sun has set and all the characters I’m playing with decide to come out and play. This habit started because I had a day job and the night was the only time I found to get the words from my head. Recently, I’ve ditched the day job and trying to readjust my writing habits has been really hard. I still prefer to write at night but by the time I get everything done I’m almost too pooped!


Plotter or Pantser? Why?

When I started writing, I thought if I just write, the story will come alive on the paper (or screen). Isn’t that how all the great ones did it? (LOL) Only after awhile and much writing research, did I realize I needed to plot out main points and scenes. I’d have to say I’m not as elaborate of an outline maker (my critique partner can chug out a 10 page outline for a 70K word story like there’s no tomorrow) but I do try to get the main points down and follow along. Some still prefer to wing it and while I respect that, with life, 2 kids (3rd on the way) and a husband, I sometimes get the details confused.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?



I remember standing in my grandmother’s living room in her top floor apartment watching on a black and white TV a parade. Even in monotone colors, I was immediately drawn to the baton twirler. Little did I know that throwing a baton in the air wouldn’t bring in the big bucks…or bucks at all. I gave up that dream and moved on to wanting to be an artist. While I don’t still draw unless my kids are around, I do find writing to be the creative outlet I needed. Never had I imagined being an author.


What group did you hang out with in high school?



My graduating class consisted of approximately 180 students. We were small and I look back on those years fondly. I never played sports but cheered all 4 years for football, basketball and even a season of wrestling. Since our school was so small, you pretty much knew everyone and I’d like to think I was friendly to most. Sure I had my close friends and we were just normal girls who liked boys, listened to music and shopped when we could but I think I could have hung out with anyone. And back then, or at least in my mind, cheerleaders didn’t have the same connotation as they do now. We were athletes who liked to use spirit fingers!


What do you do to unwind and relax?

After I fill my large tub with really warm water, I slide in, turn on the jets, grab a good book and soak for a bit. I tried to include a glass of wine once but found the heat from the water made enjoying a glass a bit difficult. I love to read and if I can include my tub, I’m all good. In fact, when we built our house that was one extra I couldn’t live without. I like a tub I can fit in and have the water kiss the bottom of my chin!


What are the most important attributes for remaining sane as a writer?


 
I can’t say this enough but patience. And a tough skin. I have many writer friends that vent to me about how frustrating it is to wait to hear back from an agent, a publisher or even another writer for feedback. If you’re submitting to an agent, some have automatic replies that state they will get back to you in x amount of weeks while some do not leaving you waiting and waiting and waiting. But that’s the business. I have one friend who signed an agent fairly early but has played the submit and wait to publishing houses for almost 2 years and even when she sold her manuscript she still had to wait another year before her book to print. It’s a waiting game and he or she who has the most patience might win.



Funny story. I haven’t submitted to an agent or agency in over a year. I received in my email the other day a letter telling me that they received my query and due to an email issue they ask I resubmit. Needless to say I hit delete because little did they know they already sent me a rejection letter! Not only do we need human patience but electronic patience, too!



Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?



I myself model most of my characters after myself or at least what I thought my YA self was like or how she’d be now. To me, it makes it easier to get inside that character’s head and figure out how she’d react to a certain situation. I do have something coming out next year that is nothing like me and I’m anxious to see how she’s received.



Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it?



I waived as Angela pulled way, showing red lights down my driveway. Without talking, Michael and I went back inside, shut and locked the front door. He intertwined his fingers with mine and pulled me to the living room.

The room was still dark from when my mother had left. He pulled me to the couch. There, we sat down, side by side. I leaned my head against his shoulder. Freeing his hands from mine, he wrapped his arm around my back and rubbed his hand down the length of my arm. Silent tears fell upon his shirt.

“Come here,” he said, pulling me down to a laying position on the couch.

His arm was a pillow beneath my head while he grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch and draped it around us. I could feel his breath in my hair and his chest rising to meet my back. He was warm and smelled of sunshine and grass.

My body shook from the tears I let flow. My face was wet, and my heart hurt. Michael continued to run his hands down my arms and never said a word. After awhile, I stopped crying and held still. I couldn’t tell if he was sleeping since his breathing was steady and slow and his arm had stopped moving.

I wondered what he was thinking about. Was he glad he’d stayed with me for the night or had he wished he’d been the one to take Audrey home? The questions plagued my mind. I had to believe he wanted to be here for me. His best friend. And with that thought, I held on tight,

closed my eyes and forgot about the day we put my dad to rest.



Do you have a Website or Blog?


I’m on Twitter at JenniA8677 and try to follow back. My website is www.jenandersonauthor.com and I blog at www.musingsfromthepeanutgallery.blogspot.com and www.honeycreekbooks.com





I’m a mommy, wife and now author. Even though I’ve spent many years on either coast, I’ve spent a majority of my life in the Midwest. Here is where my heart grows with the love and support of my family and friends, and here is where I find inspiration for my stories.

I didn’t grow up wanting to be an author but knew I needed to do something creative. After many years of moving from one job to the next and not finding happiness, I set pen to paper and began work on a Young Adult novel that will never see the light of day. And that’s okay.

Prince Charming, Book Two in my Honey Creek Royalty Series, is set to release September 2012.

Twitter  |  Blog  |  Website  |  Honey Creek Books  |  Amazon


One digital copy of Ice Princess (Winner's choice of format - Mobi, epub, PDF)






13 comments:

JenA said...

Thank you again for having me!

Ute Carbone said...

Great interview Jen and Laurie. Love that your a writing vampire. Late at night works for me too!

Jennifer Johnson said...

Very nice, and me lovey the rejection story-haha.

Holly Gilliatt said...

Nice interview, Laurie. Jen...maybe you could do the baton twirling thing on the side as a hobby. :) Good excerpt!

Taryn Raye said...

Great interview Jen! I wanted to be a babysitter before I realized writing was the thing for me! LOL

Lissette Martinez said...

Nice interview, book sounds great!
PDF or epub :)

alyssamaexo said...

Good interview! e book or hard copy.

Janita said...

Thanks for the interview and giveaway! The book sounds great! I'd like to win an epub.

flchen1 said...

Thanks for the interview, Jen--it was great to learn a bit more about your book and your writing! If so fortunate, I'd love print or PDF.

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Rachelle Ayala said...

Jennifer, sounds like a cute romance. Thanks for the tips on staying sane. Yep, patience, large gobs of it, is the right ingredient.

Kindle .mobi if I'm the lucky one!

Nice interview.

Leocadia said...

Great interview, and the book sounds ammazing !
I'd prefer a PDF.

Darlene said...

Pre-children, I used to read in a bubble bath every night by candlelight before bedtime - and with a glass of port! Ahhhhh, maybe one day again!

I'd love to win Kindle format, thanks!

angeljenn said...

thanks for the giveaway! i prefer kindle format