Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Heart That Dares by Jill Limber : Interview & Excerpt

Historical Romance

 
Amanda Giles, an unconventional and free-spirited young artist, has to fulfill a deathbed promise to her brother before she can take up her life as a Bohemian in New York. She finds herself swept up in the perilous life of an undercover espionage agent for the Army of the North with handsome young Army Captain, Daniel McGrath. Daniel knows his preoccupation with the woman posing as his wife puts them both in grave danger, but he finds Amanda has no intention of abandoning their mission. As the danger increases, Daniel's most vital objective is to secure a future for himself and the woman he loves.


BoroughsKindle  |  Nook  |  Goodreads  |  Smashwords



Romance Novels: Love to Read Them, Love to Write Them
by Jill Limber

One of the questions I get a lot from my friends who are not writers is ‘Why do you write romance novels?’ It seems like a no-brainer to me. Women love a good love story, and I’m no exception. Ask any woman about the first time she fell in love and she will get a dreamy look and be able to tell you where she was, what she was wearing, the time of day and the place. It doesn’t matter if a woman is in her teens or ninety. If there are any other women in on the conversation, they will willing chime in with their own stories.

Falling in love is a defining moment for women. Not so much for men. To test my theory I just asked my husband to describe the first time he fell in love. His furrowed brow and shoulder shrug proved my point on a very local level. 

I adore the moment when I'm reading a romance and the hero and heroine fall in love. I savor it, reread it, and remember it. As much as it is a defining moment in our lives, it is a defining moment in the books we write. 

When I'm crafting a story, I get to make my hero and heroine fall in love. I decide what is best for them. I choose what they will wear, how they will react, and who they will tell. Or who they choose not to tell. 

Sometimes tumbling into love is instant and mutual, sometimes they don't even like each other when it happens, and sometimes they fight it tooth and nail. Often it is inconvenient and accompanied by huge barriers. But every time it is exciting and rewarding for me, as I hope it is for my readers. 

And the bottom line is my reader. My job is to produce that moment with my characters that will remind a reader what it is like to find just the right man and fall in love, because there is nothing better than a happy ending. 

Another question I’m asked is ‘why historical romance?’ This one is easy to answer, too. I’ve loved historical stories since I learned to read. Before, if you count fairy tales, which are always done in a historical setting, not to mention paranormal. 

This is going to sound very Shirley MacLaine, but I feel so comfortable in the nineteenth century when I’m writing, that I have to wonder. Many times I jump on the internet to fact check something I’m writing, and find that I’m spot on correct. How do I know this stuff? Why does it sound so familiar as I’m writing?

For a number of years, at the insistence of my editor, I switched from writing historical romance to contemporary romance. I had fun writing the stories, but I didn’t feel so connected to the characters in these books. Now I have taken a big step to return to the past, and I am loving it. I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed the period of the last half of the nineteenth century until I went back, figuratively speaking. 

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. As a child I always had a fantasy about time travel, even before I watched the 1960 movie version of H. G. Wells The Time Machine with Rod Taylor--who was pretty hot--over and over and over.

I used to day dream about hearing the Gettysburg Address in person then having dinner with Abraham Lincoln, seeing the World’s Fair in Chicago, and sailing the Atlantic on a steam ship and having tea with Queen Victoria. 

So--do our souls return time after time? Who knows? But it would explain a lot :-)



One of my favorite excerpts from a A Heart That Dares:
This 'first kiss' scene comes as Daniel is attempting to talk Amanda out of going on a dangerous mission to spy for the Union Army posing as his wife:

"What do you mean, I don't know how to kiss? How dare you?" Amanda sputtered, twisting away from him.
Daniel tightened his grip. "I mean you don't know how to kiss the way a husband would kiss you. The way a lover would kiss you."
Amanda glared at him. His eyes flashed back at her. Then in one swift movement he pulled her hard up against his chest, one arm circling her waist. He tilted her head back and slowly lowered his mouth to hers, staring directly into her eyes.
Amanda swallowed and tried to speak, but for the life of her she didn't know what she would say even if she could find her voice.
Finally Daniel touched his lips, warm and firm, to hers and Amanda closed her eyes, savoring the feeling. She felt the strength leaving her tingling body and she leaned into Daniel for support.
He licked her upper lip with the tip of his tongue, then gently nibbled on the lower one. She gasped at the sensation, and when her lips parted, he ran his tongue inside her mouth.
Amanda found she couldn't trust her legs and she swayed. When Daniel pulled away from her, she opened her eyes, but had trouble focusing.
His voice husky, Daniel murmured, "Goodnight Amanda."


Jill Limber has been writing for years. While creating stories she is kept company by three dogs, and occasionally a husband who has to be convinced that a trip to Home Depot is not the highlight of her day, nor does she want to go deep sea fishing. 


As a child she got in trouble for her tall tales. Now she gets paid for them.


Keep up with Jill on Facebook, Twitter Jill_Limber, and the Boroughs Publishing Group website.






Boroughs Publishing Group
 Boroughs Publishing Group is full service ALL ROMANCE e-publishing house. We accept submissions from agented and non-agented authors in all sub-genres of Romance.

Smashwords  |  Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  LinkedIn



Post a Comment