Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Flesh Wounds by Robin Badillo: Character Interview & Excerpt

Contemporary Romance




After five years away, Julia Benson has finally come home. Facing the painful memories awaiting her in the small Texas town is nothing compared the mess she’ll make when she gets there. Dealing with the ripple affect leaving caused the ones she loved is just as hard as dealing with being abandoned by a father who wasn’t everything she’d believed him to be.
Dylan Banks was the boy from across the street who’d loved Julia since they were twelve. She was the only girl for him and the only one he couldn’t have. Unable to repair that broken part of the girl he loved so much from afar, he now had a second chance to fill the void the only way he could… love her until she got it through her thick skull that not every man was like her father.
Can love really repair all that has gone wrong in Julia’s life or are some wounds just too deep to heal?


Recommended for Mature Readers 18+


Flesh Wounds
“PG” Excerpt
By: Robin Badillo


With the towel held above her head to block the torrents of rain, Julia ran around Garret’s car toward Dylan’s truck. He met her on the passenger side and opened the door.
Dylan glared at Garret, whose eyes never left Julia as she ran from the safety of his car.
Garret flipped a short wave to him as he pulled away.
A jealous fire ignited in Dylan’s gut.
He rushed back around and jumped inside. “I was afraid you had gotten it started and tried to drive home in this alone.”
Julia pressed her lips together and glared back at him with a seething scowl.
“I’m glad you’re safe.” Dylan fumbled with the radio trying to stop his hand from shaking.
“If I’d known you were coming, I would have called to let you know you needn’t bother.”
“It’s no bother, Jules.” He swallowed the air that had become trapped in the back of his throat.
“Why do you always insist on rushing to my rescue?” She jammed the seatbelt clip into the latch.
“Rescue you? Your mom asked me to give you a ride so you wouldn’t be stranded out here in this mess.” He inhaled deeply. The anger he had felt for her when she left him Monday night slowly regrouped and formed a ball in his gut. “I can leave you here if that’s what you want.” His hand sat idly on the door handle. Push me, Jules, just push me, and see what happens. Wild angry thoughts whirled in his head, thoughts on which he’d never act.
Her eyes studied him keenly. Her rigid shoulders softened and she sat back shifting her gaze to the rain pouring outside.
“All right then. I’ll take you home.” He put the truck in gear and pulled away from the school. “I’ll have Grady tow it to the shop in the morning after the storm clears out.”
“You don’t have to do that. I’ll call him.”
“I don’t mind, really.” He glanced over only to see her jaw clench tightly. He was pushing her buttons and strangely enough, he liked it.
“Whatever.”
The twist in his side pressed against his ribs. “You haven’t been around much this week.”
“I’ve been busy.” She didn’t look in his direction at all.
“With that guy?” He knew the second the words left his mouth he’d said the wrong thing.
“I don’t see how it’s any of your business.”
“It’s not. I just thought that if we were going to be friends, you would’ve at least said hello or something.”
“Hello,” she said with a softened tone, but still one that scratched at his heart.
“I’m trying here, Jules.”
“Nobody asked you to.”
Dylan’s anger jolted through him and he immediately pulled the truck over to the side of the road.
“What are you doing?” Her eyes widened and she stared at him with an open mouth.
“I’m not going any farther until you stop acting like this,” he growled. He threw the gear into park.
“Acting like what?” She unfastened the seatbelt and scooted to the edge of the seat.
“Acting like something completely phenomenal didn’t happen between us.”
“I told you that if we were going to be friends, you would have to forget what happened.”
“I can’t forget something like that.”
“Well that’s too bad.” She jerked open the door and bolted out into the pouring rain.
Dylan scrambled out of the truck and ran after her. She barreled down the street in front of the truck. The headlights captured the pink flesh of her thighs under the wet, thin dress she wore. Dylan’s hand clasped a slippery arm and pulled her to a halt.
“Stop!” He drew her back.
“Let go of me,” she hissed through clenched teeth.
“Not until you look me in the eye and tell me you didn’t feel it, too.”
Water drenched them both as they faced each other in the driving rain. Her eyes narrowed and the sea green shade darkened.
“I…I…” She searched Dylan’s eyes, as though trying to find the words to say.
Dylan looked down at his hands locked around her arms.
The way Julia gazed at him he could easily imagine her sliding her fingers across his forehead and moving his long hair away from his eyes.
His chest heaved as his breathing increased.
“Please don’t do this to me, Dylan.” Deep recesses dug in between her brows.
“It’s already been done.”
With that, his mouth assailed onto hers.
How to start a blog
 
 
 
 
 
Today I'm lucky enough to have a special guest visiting my blog. I Hope you will help me welcome Julia Benson.  Julia is the heroine of Flesh Wounds.  So without any further delay let's find out more about Julia. 
 
What was the scariest moment of your life?
The scariest moment of my life was probably the first few minutes in college just after I’d attempted suicide by slitting by wrist.
It wasn’t the pain that scared me, it was the reality that I had just messed up and for a few terrifying moments while my friends held pressure on my arm and waited for the ambulance, I suddenly realized that dying was the last thing I wanted.
Ironically, attempting suicide was probably what actually saved my life.

What is your favorite meal?
Okay, see, maybe you have to take into consideration that my favorite meal may not have so much to do with the food, as it does the atmosphere and company I keep while eating it.
There’s a burger joint where I live called, Buck’s Drive-In’s and they serve the sloppiest hamburgers ever made. I’m talking a fist full of napkins kind of messy.
Dylan and I practically lived at Buck’s when we were kids and we still go back at least once a week for a sloppy burger and frozen lemon squeezes.
Just talking about it makes me hungry.
 
What group did you hang out with in high school?
Hmmm. That’s a good question. At one time, I would have said I was a nobody, but I was recently corrected by Dylan and our friends who are under the impression I snubbed them to run with the popular kids.
I’m not going to split hairs over it though, but only because I’ve learned what real friends are and now I hang with the best of the best.

Do you play any sports?
As the only girl in a group of boys, I had no choice but to play sports as a kid. I was never a Barbie doll type of girl anyway.
Basketball was my favorite. However, I recently discovered that I have a serious knack for paintball.
I’m not sure if annihilating middle-school kids on a paintball obstacle course qualifies as a sport, but if it does, then I’m an all-star.

What are you passionate about these days?
These days I’m most passionate about Dylan Banks, Have you met him? He’s kind of hard to miss with his thick ebony hair, smoldering, golden eyes and a body to die for. Yeah, passionate pretty much hits the nail on the head.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
When I unwind, my choices usually go one of two ways. If I’m stressed, then paintball does the trick, otherwise, Dylan and I often head for the creek. Now that we’ve gotten past the “accident” that happened there, we’ve tried to create new memories of the spot we’ve loved so long.

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
If I could apologize to anyone, it would be my mother. I treated her really badly in the years after my dad left. I was so wrapped up in my own pain I didn’t realize how hard it had to have been for her.
She did a terrific job raising me all by herself, and I can’t thank her enough. I love you, Mom.

Who should play you in a film? 
If a movie were to be made of my story, I think Amanda Crew would do a great job. If you don’t know who she is, she played Tess in Charlie St. Cloud with Zac Efron. Her hair is a little dark, but with her demeanor and talent, she could definitely pull it off.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?
Easy answer- I’m a night person. As a school teacher, I do have to go to work pretty early, but I’m not at my best until after lunch.
 
What one word best describes you?
I suppose the answer to this question would depend on who you ask. In my opinion, I would have to say that the word that describes me best would be… complicated.
 
What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
Something that would surprise my friends to know is that back when we were kids, I sort of had a crush on Dylan’s best friend, Kyle. I’ve never told anyone that, not even Dylan. I sure hope Kyle never reads this or he’ll never let me forget it. But what can I say? I was eleven and wore a training bra. I didn’t have a clue about boys, much less men.
 
You just won a huge lottery what is the first thing you'll buy?
If I won the lottery the first thing I would buy would be Paint Ball Mania. If I couldn’t buy it, I’d buy some land and build my own private paintball course and stockpile the best paintball weapons and artillery. Those kids wouldn’t have a prayer of walking away clean.
 
Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?
My mom gave me the best piece of advice I could have ever needed and naturally, she offered it just at the moment I needed it most.
She told me that most of the wounds we receive in life are only visible if we keep focusing on them.
 
 

Robin Badillo lives in a small Texas town and is the mother of four nearly grown kids. Two boys, two girls.


She’s not the stereotypical writer with a stubborn, fluffy cat, who listens adamantly to her ramblings. But, she does have two mutts named Maxie and Chino, who provide comical relief and have been known to give her headaches from time to time.

Robin is enjoying stepping out of her comfort zone and pushing the envelope on the stories she writes and hopes that her readers are just as thrilled as she is with the chances she takes.

Robin is also a firm believer that grey hair is simply God’s graffiti.
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter


Winners Choice Digital copy of the book in Mobi or PDF format




Post a Comment