Saturday, May 5, 2012

Walking with Ducks-A Jack Reno Novel by Marty Nalitz : Interview & Excerpt




Jack Reno had a shady past - even before he went to prison. He's trying to go straight but it's not easy. He gets mixed up with a crime lord, a beautiful woman

on the hook for millions of her company's dollars, and the man who had him sent to prison. They all want something and the crime lord is the only one he can trust. Going back to prison may be the easiest way out.

Booklocker  |  Kindle  |  Hardcover  |  BarnesNoble  

Photobucket
Click the image above to read Chapter 1
Here is a snippet:
Ruth Thromberg, my boss and Managing Partner of the firm, was sitting on one side of a small round table that I think was supposed to represent intimacy. You know, “We’re not just your attorney, we’re in this with you.”

On the other side of the table was a woman with short blond hair, and a nose that wasn’t big, maybe bulbous was a better word. That’s all the bad stuff I could find to say about her, otherwise, she was flawless. She had enormous blue eyes, I mean, enormous. She had on a tan skirt and jacket combination with a white blouse, very businesslike, almost prim. She also had a ring on her thumb that seemed a little out of place with the business attire. I have to admit I’ve always found a thumb ring on a woman…compelling. Thumb rings, like German chocolate cake, have frequently led me to make bad decisions.



Today I'll be talking to Marty Nalitz. Welcome, Marty, I'm so glad to get this chance to find out more about you and your book.  First question.  Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
     The first four books in the Jack Reno series were all written long-hand on legal tablets, in prison where I was sentenced for Securities Fraud.  This genre is very popular among inmates, so I would have a variety of different inmates read parts of the books and give me criticism.  It was very valuable to me. 
Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask
     The main question I get asked over and over is whether the book is autobiographical. The answer is “no.”  Sure there are coincidences-like the main character I went to prison for Securities Fraud, had multiple marriages and ex-wives and grew up in Pittsburgh before moving to Denver.  Hard to believe people would suspect that on such flimsy evidence.  Yes, there are some other similarities, but it’s all coincidence.  Honest.
     People also ask about some of the characters like Choice and Uncle Bob, wanting to know if they are real. 
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
     I always wanted to be a writer or a hockey player.  Hockey didn’t work out the way I hoped and I took the long way to being a writer.  I pretty much always wanted to be a writer-wrote tons of short stories in grade school, majored in English Writing/Political Science at the University of Pittsburgh, wrote and edited their award-winning publication called “BackSpace” and wrote a political satire column for an underground newspaper while in college.
     After graduation I had offers to write for newspapers, but went another direction.  It wasn’t until I was, unfortunately, incarcerated that I re-committed myself to writing. 
What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read? 
     The best fiction book I ever read-“Walking with Ducks-A Jack Reno Novel”…just kidding.  It’s a tie between “The Winter of Our Discontent” by John Steinbeck, “Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and “A Separate Peace” by John Knowles.  Among contemporary writers I think Dan Jenkins, Donald Westlake and Robert Parker have/had no peers.  I will read anything by them.  They all write about unique intriguing characters in a first-person narrative, which is the way I hope someone will think of my writing someday. 
Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?
     No hesitation-St. Thomas, USVI, the most beautiful place on earth with the nicest friendliest people I ever hope to meet.  Jack Reno will have a little Caribbean action in an upcoming book.
Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?
     My friends all tend to think I’m an extrovert, but I think exactly the opposite.  I spend a lot of time by myself, which is necessary if you want to write.  I worked in talk radio for a long time and I think people miss the point that that is a very introverted profession-in a booth all alone talking into a microphone that may or may not have listeners.
Do you have a Website or Blog?
     I do have a website- www.martynalitz.com

Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
     It’s an entertaining, fast-paced book with snappy, sometimes witty dialogue and unique characters that you’ll like in spite of yourself.  Plus, despite being written in prison and having some “adult” moments, it’s PG all the way, you won’t be afraid to let your teenage son or daughter read it.
Sounds like two great reasons to me.  Thanks so much for being here today and it’s been great to find out a little more about you.
     Throughout most of the 1990’s Marty Nalitz was known as one of the most conservative talk radio hosts working in secular radio.  He at times hosted his own television show, on PBS as well as Christian television and was a frequent guest on national and local shows. 
  
  He was also involved with the Christian Coalition of Colorado, Colorado Conservative Union, and the Independence Institute.  An active presence in Colorado politics throughout this period he was nominated for Governor at the 1994 Republican State Assembly.

     In 2004 he was arrested and convicted of Theft and Securities Fraud, eventually being sentenced to 21 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections.  Currently he lives in Southeast Denver.

     He’s released his first novel, “Walking with Ducks-A Jack Reno Novel”.

Website  |  Twitter  |  Amazon

 


a Rafflecopter giveaway



1 comment:

Debby said...

Sounds like an amazing story. I am adding it to my list.
debby236 at gmail dot com