Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Billy Killdeere by Lee Aaron Wilson: Interview

Western



Just another man or just another outlaw?


Five years ago, James Williams (Billy) Killdeere left the outlaw life and started operating the family ranch. However, the murderous exploits of the Killdeere Gang send him on the run again, wounded and alone, with the law and his family and former friends after him. A man he once saved helps him.Though the man s daughter Jenny at first distrusts Billy, her feelings eventually change toward him. But given his outlaw past Billy knows he can t marry Jenny. He takes off his gun and tries to be just another man in the lumber business until one day his Uncle Moses finds him.

 
Moses holds Jenny prisoner to force Billy to ride with them on a big job. The gang blames Billy when the job goes badly and are poised to take revenge on Jenny, too. He s left alone on the road, no horse, no gun, Jenny in danger and the posse bearing down. It will take all his skill as an outlaw and a gunfighter to save her, himself, and to make his uncle pay.



The Next Two Books in the Killdeere Saga are also available. Killdeere Challenge was just released this week!  Check them out!!  Click the image.



PhotobucketPhotobucket



Photobucket






Today, I am pleased to welcome Lee Baldwin.  Lee is a multi-published author who writes under several pen names. So, Lee, let’s get this show on the road.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

England. I'm a Baldwin. I want to look up family history. Did you know that until a Roman General named Arthur ambushed and killed the strongest of the many English kings, it was King Baldwin. (He called himself King Arthur)


Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Not really. Let me clarify that. I don't travel to get an idea. I have traveled a bit and I draw on that, or may go back for detail. Now if I got a string of best sellers, I might plan trips to places I think there's an interesting story waiting to be dug out.


Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?

Grandma. She was a writer--not a published author, just self-published novellas for the family and friends. Of course, she wanted me to write the adventures of us boys, on the farm, while our parents were fighting in WWII. She said, "Tom Sawyer was a piker compared to you boys." The other side of the coin is, I'm a faint shadow of Mark Twain--Samuel Clemens. Maybe one of these days . . . .


Who is your favorite author?

I don't know. I like an awfully lot of them. Ludlum comes to mind.


When in the day/night do you write? Yes. How long per day?

It depends. Maybe an hour. Maybe twelve or fourteen hours. When I get rolling, I roll.


Where do you research for your books?
Much of it from my life and education. When I want a detail, I prefer books. Know what a microfiche is? Old newspaper copy, in the town where an event I'm referring to in a story. For a while I did online research. It's getting so to verify a date of an even, like which Civil War battle my hero's brother was killed in my current project, they want you to pay to join their research group. Then to download the data. It's a good thing I write fiction. I can approximate. Or call a friend who teaches History, or Geography. LOL


What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

To many of them, I'm sort of folk hero. Several of my nieces and nephews write now. "If Uncle Lee can do it, so can I!"


Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers?

If so, what are they? No matter how lousy it looks, or how much criticism you get, FINISH it. The hardest thing you'll ever do is finish the first novel.


Thanks so much for giving us a few more morsels about you and your writing.  It’s been a pleasure hosting you, again. I am looking forward to our next visits.


My family has roots back to the beginning of the United States. My mother's family, the Williams, date themselves from the Mayflower; the Baldwins from the Martin, the second boat into Plymouth Rock. My great-great-grandmother Bradley was born a princess in the Iroquois Nation. Great-grandpa Bradley had some real stories; he grew up with a gun on his hip. His brother, Wild Bill Bradley, was an Indian fighter, an outlaw and a lawman in late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; both lived into their late-nineties. I grew up on a liberal diet of family stories, (some apocryphal) from all directions, Williams, Baldwins, and Bradleys. Is it any wonder I have to write?
After two years of college, I enlisted in the Air Force. When I got out, I took a couple of working tours: Stopping for a week at a time often, I worked from town to town from Florida to Michigan, my home state: A service station usually needed a pump jockey who could also tune engines. Or a cafĂ© could use a pearl diver to clean the pots and pans and bus tables. After a couple more years of college, I took off again. This time I drove combines in the wheat harvest in Colorado and the Dakotas, and a truck in the cotton fields in Texas. When I stopped to see my mother in Tucson a letter from an aunt in Modesto, California waited. Shell Development Company was hiring. I spent a year there, then went to Bishop as an analyst for a mine, and learned to love the mountains. After a couple of years there, I was hired by a southern California electric generating company in their "boiler gang," the working guys who maintained and repaired those giant steam boilers. The people I met everywhere fascinated me—and with some changes and amalgamations, live in my novels.


Website  |  Smashwords  |  Amazon


Also, Check out Lee's earlier interview with me with a Feature focusing on
Pa's Journal: The Legend of Epitaph Creek


Post a Comment