Monday, April 30, 2012

Windigo Soul by Robert Brumm Jr : My Review



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From Goodreads:
It's Hank Reed's birthday. As a citizen of the United Federation of Nations that means a mandatory death sentence simply because he turned sixty years old. Referred to as "retirement," it's one of the desperate steps the government has taken to curb overpopulation. Retirement is a widely accepted fact of life on a dying planet ruled by a tyrannical government. Hank's execution goes ahead as planned but state sponsored euthanasia isn't what it seems. The Reed family learns what really happens to retirees when secrets the UFN keep from the public start to unravel.

This book is intended to be read by adults and may be unsuitable for children under 17. Contains indecent language and descriptions of graphic violence.



My Review
This short novelette really captured my attention and my imagination. Its premise is frighteningly realistic given the current alarming world population growth. Combine that with the large (and still to be larger) glut of elderly in our society as a consequence of the ever-aging baby boomer generation and Mr. Brumm’s curiously gruesome imagination, and what evolves is an, at times, intensely graphic horror story decidedly not for squeamish readers. I do not want to give any of the story away, but suffice it to say I will never look at retirement in quite the same way again.

Think about all the food additives that are already an accepted part of the foods we eat (pink slime immediately comes to mind). Think about how our planet is being systematically plundered of its precious resources in order to satisfy the demands of a population deluded into believing that its every demand can be met without repercussions. Then think about the fact that more than 25,000 people die daily from starvation. Then think about a government conspiracy of massive proportion determined to keep certain secrets at all costs. When I think of all these things and more, I can not help but wonder if Windigo Soul may be something of a predictor of something chillingly similar in our not-too-distant future.
View all my reviews

Also, See my recent Interview with Robert Brumm.

1 comment:

Michael Draper said...

Well thought out and analytical review, Laurie.
Mike
I just reviewed "The Deep Zone" by Tabor on Amazon, if you get a chance, please check it out.