Friday, April 6, 2012

Storm's Interlude by Vonnie Davis: Character Interview, Excerpt

Contemporary Western Romance

Nurse Rachel Dennison comes to Texas determined to prepare her new patient for a second round of chemo. What she isn’t counting on is her patient’s twin brother, Storm Masterson.

Background courtesy Batkhela.com. Other elements designed by ManuScraps.


Despite her initial attraction, Storm has two things Rachel can’t abide: a domineering personality and a fiancée.
Half Native American, with the ability to have "vision dreams," Storm dreams about Rachel for three nights before her arrival. Both are unprepared for the firestorm of emotions their first encounter ignites.
Ultimately, it is Rachel’s past—and abusive, maniacal ex-boyfriend—that threatens to keep them apart…and Storm’s dreams that bring them together again.

Rating: Spicy
Page Count: 314
Word Count 90,000
Print ISBN: 1-60154-935-0


Amazon  |  Wild Rose Press  |  Barnes and Noble




Storm heard off-key singing when he opened the back door. He quietly toed off his boots in the mudroom before stepping into the kitchen.
An open laptop sat on the wooden kitchen table. Beside it was a mug of steaming tea. On the counter, a loaf of wheat bread rested next to a jar of peanut butter. Protruding from the opened refrigerator was a cute behind, covered by baggy yellow pajama bottoms, wiggling to the beat of the song being sung. “Shot through the heart and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name.”
The off-tune singing stopped, but that perfectly rounded bottom continued to wiggle. “Pickles... pickles. Surely there are pickles in this huge refrigerator. Maybe some of those sweet little gherkins. Oh, look, cottage cheese. You give love a bad name…” The off-tune singer extracted a container from the crowded contents of the refrigerator, absently reaching out to set it on the counter.
Sneaking up behind her in his stocking feet, he placed a hand on the edge of the open door of the refrigerator and leaned over her bent body.
She moved a pitcher of orange juice. “Okay, pickles, where are you hiding?”
“Check behind the milk.”
Rachel yelped and spun around, her hand to her heart. Her big blue eyes opened impossibly wide. “You! Wha...what are you doing here?”
He held out his hand. “Hello, Rachel. I’m Storm Masterson, Sunny’s twin brother.”

“You…you’re Sunny’s brother? Don’t you dare touch me.” She made a fist and had the audacity to shake it under his nose. He didn’t know whether to laugh or paddle that cute behind she’d been wiggling earlier. “You…you just keep your hands and your lips to yourself. You…you naked, kissing bandit.”








Howdy everybody! I’m interviewing Storm Masterson today. He’s the hero of Storm’s Interlude. Thanks so much to Vonnie Davis for allowing him to make this special appearance on my blog.

Welcome Storm! I can tell you’re raring to get started. {smile} First, tell us about your family.

“Family is the most important thing in a man’s life. I learned that early on from my dad. Our mother left us when Sunny and I were five. Guess she didn’t have it in her to care for mischievous twins—and we were bad, let me tell you. Dad showed us plenty of love and attention. Our housekeeper and cook, Noella, took over as our mother. Dad’s gone now, but Noella is still with us.” He gifts me with a slow, sexy badass smile. His dimples wink at me. “She’s still trying to make me behave. Sunny moved back to the Triple-S, the family’s ranch, after a disastrous marriage, just a couple of days before she had little Sawyer. Now that Rachel and the babies are in our family, it’s enriched ten-fold.”

What was the scariest moment of your life?

“I have two. The first was the day I found out my twin sister had leukemia. I knew something was wrong with her.” Storm rubs a hand over his eyes. “See, I had a vision dream of Sunny, bald and emaciated. Our dad, who was half Comanche and half Nez Perce, had vision dreams. After he passed, the gift came to me. So, when I started dreaming of her like that, I encouraged her to go to the doctor to find out why she was so tired all the time.” He shakes his head once and sadness fills his eyes. “Her diagnosis was my diagnosis. Losing my sister, my partner in the womb, was a possibility I refused to acknowledge.” He takes another sip of his malt scotch. “Not all vision dreams are bad, though. I dreamed of a pair of mesmerizing blue eyes and a low, sultry laugh for three nights before I met Rachel.” He pauses. “I’m getting off track, aren’t I? See what that woman does to me?” He winks at me, and I’m charmed. “The second scariest moment was when I realized Rachel’s ex-fiancée kidnapped her. He was an abusive bas…er…man.” I noticed he spat out the word as if it pained him to use that description of her ex- fiancée. “He nearly killed her.”
 
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

“A rancher. Dad taught me to love the ranch and the animals. I have a bad habit of talking to Pistol, our Basset hound, and the horses.”

What group did you hang out with in high school?

“I was captain of the football team. So I mainly hung out with the guys on the team and Jackson, my best friend.”

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Another badass smile blooms. “I get in the bathtub with Rachel and shampoo her hair. We talk for awhile, until my hands get to roaming. My Rachel is unbelievable.” He sips his scotch and stares off as if seeing or recalling something. “The night we met was something else. I kissed her. Didn’t even know her name, but after all those sensual vision dreams I’d had about her, don’t think for a minute I was letting her get away until I tasted those lips of hers. My life hasn’t been the same since.”

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

“Morning person. I love standing on the back porch, sipping coffee and watching the sun come up. Ain’t nothin’ like a Texas hill country sunrise. Although, now that I have Rachel, the nights aren’t bad either.”

What would we find under your bed?

“A teething ring. No doubt a stuffed animal or two. Oh, and the bedspread from the motel where Rachel and I first made love. She’d left the ranch, and I went after her. I was hell-bent on bringing her back to the Triple-S. I’d already lost one woman I loved—my mother. I wasn’t about to lose Rachel, too. I wrapped her up in the bedspread after she fell asleep and carried her out to my truck.”

What makes you happy?

“Spending time with Rachel. She can soothe me and get me fired-up, too. She’s no push over, and I like that. Keeps me on my toes. Keeps my life from getting boring. God, that woman can make me mad sometimes.” He smiles again and I melt a little more with those dimples flashing at me. “A man, a real man, likes a strong woman.”

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

“I’ve donated hair to Locks of Love.” He gives a nonchalant shrug, as if it was nothing. “My hair was longer when I met Rachel. She introduced me to the group, being a cancer nurse, and suddenly I knew it was something I wanted to do. I’m all for helping kids.”

I think that is just amazing! Well, that’s all I have for now. Thanks again for sharing with us.

Vonnie, What a heart-twang you’ve created!



I'm retired, as is my husband. We both share the passion of writing. Now that I'm constantly writing, bedtime is the only time I get to read anymore. I love reading new authors--such energy and crisp writing. Wow!

 Some would say my days are relaxed now that I don't need to rush off to work any more. In their opinions, all I do all day is write. If the truth were known, you would realize I'm writing like a madwoman these days, trying to make up for lost time. Although I started writing short stories in grade school and dreamed of writing all my life, I never felt I was talented enough. Self-doubt is a terrible thing, isn't it? Thank goodness Calvin encouraged me to follow my dream.

 As a result, my first book came out after I turned 63. Yes, folks, I am a tad slow at reaching for my dreams. After all, I never started college until I was 44 and didn't met the beat of my heart until I was 55. Read longer bio

Blog | Twitter







a Rafflecopter giveaway


19 comments:

Vonnie Davis said...

Thanks for having me as a guest today to introduce Storm of STORM'S INTERLUDE. You've got a terrific blog here.

Jennifer Jakes said...

Oh, Vonnie, you know how to make me fall a little more in love with Storm;)
Just wanted to see what that sexy devil had to say; you know I've already got my well-read copy so don't enter me in the drawing.
Have a great Easter!
Hugs-

Vonnie Davis said...

Thanks, Jennifer, for stopping by. Storm is a delightful, complex man full of love. One of the side benefits of writing romance is you get to fall a little in love with your hero...or, in Storm's case, a lot in love. Thanks for stopping by.

Calisa Rhose said...

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, MmmMmm! I'm closer to reading SI and this makes me want to cheat!

Since I already have both formats of your book, Vonnie, please don't enter me to win.

Vonnie Davis said...

Oh, Calisa, a little cheating in some areas--like chocolate, new shoes and romance novels--is good for the soul. I'm eager to hear how you like STORM'S INTERLUDE. He's not like the tornados you blogged about today, but he is a force to be reckoned with.

Joanne said...

I can't wait to read Storm's Interlude. Storm... *sighs and fans self* Too bad he's taken. Sounds like an amazing book.

Joanne B
e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Joanne said...

Sorry, I was so caught up with thinking about Storm that I forgot to answer the question. I like paranormal fiction because anything can happen and usually does. It's up to the particular author how far they want to push the envelope.
Joanne B
e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Vonnie Davis said...

Hi Joanne, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you found Storm appealing. He is something special.

As for paranormals, which do you prefer? Shape-shifters, vamps, creatures, ghosts, distopan environments?

Lynne Marshall said...

Hi Vonnie - you know I've alrready read this book and loved it, but I had to comment about your interivew. gotta love a man who puts two women first in his life on the list of scariest things ever to happen: sister's leukemia and Rachel's being kidnapped.

Also - you made me laugh out loud over this: Storm and two things Rachel couldn't abide by - a domineering personality AND he was engaged. :)

Vonnie Davis said...

Glad I made you chuckle, Lynne. I have this wierd sense of humor, I know. What pleases me more than you can imagine is that you enjoyed my book. How cool is that??

Dixie Brown said...

Hi Vonnie,

Loved Storm's interview - almost as much as I enjoyed the book. He's a hero to die for! Can't wait for your next book.

Dixie Brown

Vonnie Davis said...

Dixie, you made my day. Thanks for your approving words. I have a novella coming out July 27th with a wounded Marine vet as a hero: THOSE VIOLET EYES. I also have a romantic suspense set in Paris coming out sometime this year--no release date yet. MONA LISA'S ROOM. An older American woman, a younger French government and a band of vengeful terrorists. Keep checking my website for details. www.vonniedavis.com

morgan said...

Hi Vonnie,
How incredible clever to interview a character. Kudos to both you and Laurie. I do love Storm's name too.

Vonnie Davis said...

Morgan, aren't you sweet? Yes, Storm did a great interveiw once we got him loosened up with the scotch.

Dana said...

This book sounds really good I would love to read it!

Bridget Howard said...

I really enjoy western romances so I would love to read this book. Thanks

Kylie said...

I love the sound of Storm! Locks of Love- really!? Me too.

Gale Nelson said...

Love the looks of this one. Have to read this. Thanks Gale

Debbie P said...

I would love to win this. Great post! What an inspiring story to not give up on your dreams!