Saturday, March 17, 2012

Affairs of The Heart by Borislava Borissova : Interview, Excerpt

 Romance

Two finely-crafted novellas that deal with affairs of the heart. Two stories about love and loneliness, and the unique ways some people deal with them.


In "A Love In Time of War first they faced the war… the love followed later. Peace was somewhere in between. One day he could have killed her on the other side of the front, on the next day he fell in love and what would happen in the day after it? All efforts to remain enemies appeared to be in vain. The borderline between their ability to hate or to love appeared a thin one.

The war became past, the past became history and through the years only love is still alive in a very beautiful tale to remember.

In "The Last Secrets of The Ancient Island" series of mishaps in an old town casts suspicion on a number of residents, provoking changes in an adopted practice of the underground world of relics. Ralph, a young graduate of a university proves the last mysteries of ancient National Park sites are yet unexplored by historians and archaeologists and discovers the personal secret of his older brother Michael. An unknown driver has a tragic motivation to take his life and that of another.

We were born alone, we die alone, but life is our chance to live in love. If we don’t lose the chance, if know why love is the most desired legend in our life.








When in the day/night do you write? How long per day? 

I love night hours when in night hours when the Earth - my home-planet – falls asleep profoundly and a new world, the one of the twinkling stars and silver Moon, wakes up in the sky above my head. Actually I am used to working on an open window with noise of buses, cars, steps and voices of many walking people but sometimes I dream to lay on green meadow with butterflies, ladybirds, turtles, foxes, hedgehogs, wild flowers, watch the endless sky and writing about love. 

For me the sense of romantic is important. It should be in the environment or in their behavior, or in their attitude. I think there is shortage of romantics in our time and world.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

The most terrible thing for every author in my opinion is the importance of the beginning chapter, the first few lines. It is very nice to write a story in the way I want but I cannot stop puting myself in the shoes of the readers and asking: “Will it be interesting to others? Will they go ahead with the text after reading the first chapter?” 

Another hard moment is the blurb. At the end you should say the whole story in a few words only, for which you have needed hundred pages.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why? 

Oh, I dream having own wings to fly over lakes and mountains, falls, steppes and canyons or swim over the Great Barrier Reef along dolphins and kit babies. I also would love to enjoy time-traveling if it was possible and to see as a flash what would happen with my native Milky Way Galaxy, with the Sun after thousands of light years. I want to know what the Solar System was when our world was just created and after it when the world was very young what everything on Earth looked like.

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie? 

My heroes have something from me in themselves. Perphaps I felt their stories because I found something similar in the problems, important questions of their life-experience. However, answers are different. What is love? Escape from loneliness? Or love is a deep friendship and having it for something else is just our illusion? What would love inspire? A new sense of life? Happiness? Or love would kill our innocence? Does being in love mean we discover mutuality but losing part of your identity? Questions, puzzles and there some answers in two love-stories, two affairs of the hearts in my new book.

Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it? If so, can you share it?

Here are two excerpts from it:

From The Last Secrets of The Ancient Island

“I wanted to see the face, to look into the eyes of the dangerous driver who scared us with his crazy driving, caused a series of collisions and accidents on our streets and placing the life of each of us in danger and uncertainty. I still remember the squeal of the high-speed tires and the sense of an evil menace and I wanted to rage at him, to strike him. I expected…” Michael sighed sadly and, forgetting everything and everyone around him, he lapsed into the memory of that time.

“In the hospital, I ran up the stairs and I looked in the room to peer over medic’s shoulder. There were a multitude of tubes and wires. The intravenous system and respirator were attached to the body in the bed, to keep the driver alive. I saw the ashen skin, dark rings around the eyes, fragile hands—they were already powerless to hold the wheel. The body was worn, similar to a shadow. It was a young woman who wanted to die, who searched for death on the road as fast as the car would go. And to take another life with hers so she wouldn’t be alone when she drew her last breath.”

From "A Love In Time of War

After a while, the older white-haired man repeated in amazement, “Let’s clear this up. You fought to the death in the Balkan War against her father, her brother and her country. And she served as a nurse to Bulgarian soldiers, among blood, wounded, dead, and the smell of formaldehyde on the opposite side of the borderline. Does it mean you are coming to ask for the hand of your enemy’s daughter? The Bulgarian general, who personally led his army from the front line against the Ottoman divisions?” 

“Yes. First there was the war… the love followed later. Peace was somewhere in between.” 

“Yesterday, you could have killed her on the other side of the front, today you are in love and what about tomorrow?” 

“She feels the same way. All our efforts to remain enemies appeared to be in vain. The border line between our ability to hate or to love appears a thin one.” 

His fellow traveler shook his head distrustfully. “Your story sounds crazy. Most probably, her father will not allow her to marry you. Hmm... Kidnap her instead. Escape together as others have done many times on the Balkans.” 

“Who would easily marry a Muslim man and a Christian woman in secret? If not, what would she be in my life without a legal marriage? A mistress? The woman who was born to be my wife? I cannot make a political scandal between our countries. The general is respectful and popular.”

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula? 

I love telling stories based on real facts and persons. I am always in a hunting to hear, to learn something interesting that could hold my imagination for long. Sometimes it very vividly shows pictures of my heroes’ experience as if a movie passes in my mind. 

I can never say I am a writer from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during a day. Writing is one side of the process, creation of the stories and characters in the mind is another, more important thing. The themes, dialogue, the scenes of a story live in my mind all day-night and I am used to taking some notes on papers about heroes, dialogue, scenes in any free hour with the purpose to use them later in the process of writing. 

There are also moments in night hours when my mind is very tired, yearns for sleep but I am still awake, pondering about something, an idea flashes upon me and instead of yielding myself to the dreams, I raise at my elbows, turn on my night-lamp to put some words on the piece of paper. I am afraid that in the morning when I come back from the land of sleeping to start a new day I could not remember the idea, the thought, or the dialogue. So there is no rest for me before the story to be completed in full. 

But when it happens I fell a strong sense of sadness that this journey is over. I am missing the hours when I stay behind my laptop in the very friendly company of my heroes to go together on their next adventure. 



 

 

Borislava Borissova considers herself a writer by soul because, although she have been working in the field of Human Resources for years, at home, in her free time, history and writing are the important passions of her life.

She is more than happy to share both of them with other people. She takes the readers through ages, through countless earthy and celestial places and lifelong adventures to meet her characters in their settings, to be part of their life...

In her love-dramas lives all passion she has for history and adventures, time-traveling and thrillers, mysteries and great love.

Welcome and take a seat next to her to feel the stories!

Website  |  Amazon  |  YouTube  |  Goodreads  |  Twitter



THANKS FOR LOOKING!


Post a Comment