Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tangi's Teardrops by Liz Grace Davis

When Tangi's father dies, he leaves her nothing but three empty bottles. A kind uncle takes the poverty-stricken girl and her stepsisters in, and for a time life gets better on his farm. But Tangi remains a lonely outsider; her stepsisters tease her for her crippled leg, and the housekeepers use her like a servant.

Just before her thirteenth birthday, Tangi learns the truth about her father's strange legacy: the three bottles aren't empty any more. They're filled with all the tears she's cried since her father died, and her tears are enchanted. She must use them to travel to Rosevine, the world of her dead mother. Tangi not only belongs there but is necessary to keep Rosevine alive.

Tangi's tears will save Rosevine, and Rosevine will save Tangi from a cruelty-filled life, except for one thing: Tangi's lost the bottles.





INTERVIEW

  How did you start your writing career?

Like many authors, before I started to writer, I was an avid reader (still am). Books were a large part of my world. I spent endless hours in school libraries. At night I used a torch to read under the covers so my mother didn’t know I was awake. As much as I loved to read, I loved telling stories. I wrote a lot of short stories and poems while growing up. On many nights, my little brother begged to come and sleep in my bed and I hated it. But the reason he kept coming back, was so I could make up stories to tell him before he fell asleep. The dreamer that I was, I never could resist. 
 Tell us about your current release.
 
Tangi’s Teardrops is about a 12 year-old crippled village girl, who never felt that she belonged. Her dream had always been to one day become much more than the girl with the funny leg.

One night, she discovered a secret connected to the empty bottles her father left her when he died. A secret that revealed her tears to be something extra ordinary.

A secret that showed her a way out of the world she could never call home and led her to the Kingdom of Rosevine, a place where the impossible only existed in one’s mind and everything she could ever want was right at her fingertips.
 
But there was a price to pay for her happiness. And I better stop here before I reveal too much.

 Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?
 
Tangi’s Teardrops is a different kind of fairy tale that will not only give you a peak into an African village lifestyle, but also a fantasy world that needs tears to exist. If you want to find out why those tears happen to be Tangi’s and why they are so precious, then you should read this novel.

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

Currently, I’m in the process of finalizing the publishing process of my contemporary romance novel, Chocolate Aftertaste. It’s the story of Nora, a young woman with an extremely controlling wealthy father. She only lives to make his dreams come true. And then he goes too far, expecting her to do something that will guarantee a future of unhappiness. This leads her to make a decision that destroys their relationship but will hopefully lead her to find her freedom, rediscover her passions and maybe find love.

Chocolate Aftertaste will be available for purchase in March 2012.

Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?

Most of the time, no. But Tangi is. My third middle name is actually Tangi and like her, I was a loner when I was growing up and went through a similar but harsher experience as she did. Unlike her, though, I’m not disabled.

But yeah, Tangi’s Teardrops is based on my childhood, but apart from the cruelty of the housekeepers, everything else is a product of my imagination.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I was born in a refugee camp in Angola and stayed there until I was eight years old. I went to Namibia (where my parents came from) for the first time the year before Namibia became independent in 1986.

Growing up I lived in 5 countries, went to 5 primary schools, 3 high schools and by early next year, I would have obtained my Bachelors and Masters degrees from two universities in different countries.

Do you have a Website or Blog?

I do have a blog and you can visit it here: www.novel-moments.blogspot.com. The door is always open to new visitors.

Thank you so much Laurie, for giving me the opportunity to be featured on your blog. You’re very kind. Thanks also to the people who bought or are thinking of buying my novel, Tangi’s Teardrops. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And watch out for Chocolate Aftertaste.  




ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Liz Grace Davis was born in a refugee camp in Angola, to Namibian parents. She grew up in Angola, Namibia, South Africa and Germany. She now lives with her husband in Vienna, Austria. Growing up, Liz spent most her days in school libraries, diving into the world of books. In her spare time she loves to travel, create jewelry and digital scrapbooks. She's in her element when she does anything that requires creativity. Liz recently published her Young Adult fantasy novel, Tangi's Teardrops.

Thanks for Looking!

No comments: