Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Grace by Susan Bennett - Character Interview

Four women are about to start a mob war – and nails WILL be broken.

Some epiphanies look like diamonds. Isabella Albrici's diamond shaped epiphany begins when her womanizing husband, Domenic, frames her and her best friend Teresa for his diamond smuggling operation to save himself from jail. Prime targets for the prison’s resident psychopath, they’ll be lucky to survive jail, even luckier to survive if they get out – thanks to Domenic, ‘the family’ thinks Isabella is an FBI informant. The big house ain't no fun house, but for Isabella and Teresa, it’s the safest house there is – until the evidence keeping them there suddenly goes missing.

Ladies, you are free to go.
Ah, if it’s all the same to you – maybe we’ll just stay where we are.
No chance. Close the door on your way out.
Ah shit. Thanks very much.

Some epiphanies are shaped like diamonds – others, like bullets. Sometimes grace is received; sometimes grace has to be earned. For years, these mob wives have lived off the wages of sin, now the path to redemption is clear: they gotta whack their old men.

Welcome to the inaugural general meeting of the first chapter of the New Jersey Mob Suffragette’s Whack Club.

Salut.


Kindle  |  Nook 

GIVEAWAY

Enter Here  or below for a chance to win a digital copy of GRACE.
For a bonus entry Friend Susan Bennett on Goodreads.
This giveaway ends January 28th 11:59 PM Central Time. 




CHARACTER INTERVIEW
Laurie:
We're joined today by Irish… I didn't catch your surname.

Irish:
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Laurie:
I– I see.   I don't think I've ever had an interview go so downhill so fast.  Most people don't threaten to kill me until, let's see, at least halfway through.

Irish:
In my shoes, you'd be feeling pretty testy too.

Laurie:
And what shoes are those exactly?

Irish:
Concrete, if I'm not careful.

Laurie:
How did you get mixed up with these mob women?

Irish:
I… honest to God, I just went out to buy some cannoli.  Next thing I know, I'm running around with my boobs bared for all the world to see and I've drawn my gun on a mob boss.

Laurie:
Ew, too much information.

Irish:
You asked.

Laurie:
Not about your boobs, I didn't.  Whoa girl, if looks could kill…

Irish:
I'll tell you what can kill – cannoli can.  I wish I'd never laid eyes on the things.  

Laurie:
I– killer cannoli?  You seem to have a very difficult relationship with cakes.

Irish:
Not cakes, just cannoli.  Killer cannoli.  One minute I'm innocently drooling over cannoli in a bakery window, the next I'm sharing my home with two mob wives and an ex-con with one common denominator: they're all bloody trigger happy – a winsome little attribute cheerfully shared by their former associates – a.k.a. 'proposed hits.'   These happy campers have taped a large, glossy mob family portrait to my living room wall and labelled it 'target practise'.  And let me tell you, I've never seen a bunch of … I'm not sure I can say this in a public forum…

Laurie:
Whisper it in my ear.  (Giggles.)  You can't say that.

Irish:
Okay… I've never seen a bunch of more corpulent… sons of parents who never married.

Laurie:
I think readers will get the picture.

Irish:
I wish to God I didn't.  

Laurie:
I can't blame you for being testy.

Irish:
You don't know what testy is, lady.  Wait until you see what these women get up to when they're pre-menstrual.  Oh God, three women with a vendetta and PMS – it's combination you just don't want to know about.  I never dreamed a curling iron could be used to… do that.

Laurie:
You're right.  I don't want to know.

Irish:
Good choice.  

Laurie:
If we could just get back to your name for a moment… You don't sound very Irish.

Irish:
I'm not.  I'm Australian.

Laurie:
You're an Australian but you're called Irish?

Irish:
Trust me, you don't want to know.

Laurie:
There's something else I'm curious about.  I heard you're a writer.

Irish:
That's true.

Laurie:
Tell me – how does a writer end up training a couple of mob wives and an ex-con… I'm sorry, what was your name for them again?

Irish:
The New Jersey Mob Suffragette Whack Club.

Laurie:
Just how the hell did you end up leading the Whack Club in a mob war?

Irish:
Oh, I'm not.  That's just what they think.  Truth is, I'm going to stop them if I can.
 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Susan Bennett's first job entailed selling very large knives (think the bowie knife – "that’s not a knife, this is a knife" – from Crocodile Dundee) to complete strangers, along with camping goods and other assorted goodies such as replica pistols. Twenty years on, it finally occurred to her to wonder what some of those people wanted those replica pistols for, and she strongly suspects that many of the people she sold handcuffs to weren’t actually buying them as a joke gift, as they said. As such thoughts never entered her young head, she was able to look her customers happily in the eye and smile broadly as she helped them with their purchases, never suspecting that in an hour’s time they would be handcuffed to a bed somewhere.

She is currently considering writing a sequel to Grace and will soon release Trial of the Romance Novelist.





THANKS FOR LOOKING!
Post a Comment