Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Morning Afterlife by Sonnet Odell - Interview : Featured Author

If remembering could bring about the end of everything, would you still try?

Karrin wakes up on the side of the road with selective memory loss; she knows her name and age but nothing more about herself. She walks the highway back to a town to find all but a few people have disappeared and that there are strange but beautiful beings hunting them down. It seems to her that some great apocalyptic event happened but she just doesn't remember it.

Karrin however is in more danger than she realizes as someone in her new group of friends is more deadly to her than those hunting them down. When she finds one of them, a young man roughly her own age named Gabe injured, she goes against all she's been told and helps him. Gabe in return wants to help her, help her to remember. Karrin's memories, however, could put her in even more danger and bring an end to everything she now holds dear.




Excerpt from The Morning Afterlife
A sound came from ahead of her, it echoed in the absence of her own footsteps as she had sat to rest for a while. Slowly she opened her eyes again, letting them flutter slowly as the light glanced off of the metal bus sign, till her eyes had adjusted to it once more. She looked across to the other corner and from around it came a man dressed in a white suit. She wasn’t sure at first that it was the same one she had seen until she saw that he was carrying a black umbrella. Had he followed her all the way into town? If that were true, how had he gotten ahead of her or even know she would come that way?
 


MY REVIEW     

I just recently read this novella and liked it.  My review is pending edits at Night Owl Reviews and should be published in a couple of weeks.  I will update with the review link once it has been posted.



INTERVIEW

Tell us about your current release.

The Morning Afterlife is a young adult novella set around seventeen year old Karrin who wakes up in a ditch at the side of the road with no memory of how she got there or even who she is. The story revolves around her quest to find answers to what has happened to her world only to find that knowing might be more dangerous than not. It’s due to be released by Eternal Press on the 7th of December 2011.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?


I actually find I’m more of a night writer. I seem to split my life between two realities, the boring day job of an office clerk and the exciting night time imaginings of a writer. I can tell you right now which one is more interesting, although it’s not hard to guess. I’m like Clark Kent if his alter ego had been Stephen King instead of Superman. Even sometimes when I’m crunching numbers I’m really thinking about roof top battles and underground secret societies. As to length sometimes it’s just a half an hour, sometimes I can spend till the wee hours writing away at a scene. I write for as long as my muse is happy to sit with me whispering wicked little plot twists in my ear.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I actually find that I don’t like to write in silence. I enjoy creating playlists with songs that to me seem like they could be background music to a film of the book I’m writing. I know imagining them as films is getting a little ahead of myself, lol, but when I close my eyes I see what I’m writing about in a very visual way. At the moment I have a mix of songs that I have on repeat from Lady Antebellum to Nickleback to Beethoven.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

I find that the hardest part of writing my books is getting my facts straight. When you create a world and a lot of characters continuity is key. I’ve read books where the name of a characters husband for instance changes every other book. It’s sad to say I’ve been making detailed lists to make sure I can keep straight in my stories whose who, what they do, where they are from, how old they are. Speaking of age, writing vampires who are older than a few decades is really hard. I was never very good at history and remember dates and facts to include can often mean some serious rewriting or compensating.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?

As I was saying above I have lists when it comes to character development. I have decided something about characters now that won’t happen till much further on in a series. My series of books – the Cassandra Farbanks novels – are an example of this. For one character in particular I decided after meeting him in book one by book four he’d become a werewolf.

Plots wise I’ve always liked subtle intricacy. For instance I include no detail in one book that won’t be relevant at some other point. I like to work in a small event that become prevalent later on, you’re just beginning to forget about the weird seemingly unimportant moment when bang, it makes sense and was a sign all along of trouble ahead. I seem them as weaving each individual story together, connecting them.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

It might be surprising to a few who know how passionate I am about writing now but when I was really young, lets says about eight maybe I wanted to be an archeologist. I loved the idea of uncovering ancient tombs and dealing with the remnant of some ancient civilization – until I realized how unlikely that was. All the good stuff had already been discovered and what was left – digging in a field in Yorkshire – seem a little dull to me. I wanted grand adventures which turned me closer to the idea of becoming a writer, because if I couldn’t have them myself I could just make them up. I began to spin elaborate tales of mystery and the anger of ancient gods that led most of the career councilors to tears by the time I reached high school.

What group did you hang out with in high school?


I didn’t have all that many friends in high school. I was a misfit because I wasn’t all that interested in giggle over the latest boy band or discussing fashion, hair, makeup etc. I tended to spend most of my time immersed in a good book from Dante’s Inferno (which my teacher deemed inappropriate reading at fourteen) or murder mysteries trying to work out who’d done it before I reached the last page. The few friends I had then are still my friends now. High school wasn’t easy for us and it bonded us together. I am thankful for those people every day or I’m not sure if I’d have made it.

Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?
Not as much as I would like to. The one thing missing on my website you’ll notice is an FAQ because people don’t ask me things. It might just be because I’m not all that well read because I’m new and the world of books is so large. I would love to hear from anyone who’s read my work. I like to know that someone is enjoying what I write, not for vanity’s sake but I’ve always had this need for reassurance. A lot of the authors I read and wrote to never replied and I am determined whether I get one letter or a thousand that each person will get a response, even if only a few heartfelt words. My email is sonnetodell@hotmail.com and I check it every day.


GIVEAWAY
Answer a question for a chance to win a PDF copy of The Morning Afterlife.
This contest is hosted on the author's website.
TO ENTER CLICK HERE                                                         


ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sonnet was born at the John Radcliffe in Oxford and spent the first six years of her life living in the town of Abingdon close to both her grandparents and most of the rest of her family. She moved after that to Cornwall for three years and then to Devon for another three before moving to where she has lived for the last fourteen or so years. Sonnet now lives in Worcester, Worcestershire, famous for Lea & Perrin’s Sauce and as the site for the last battle of the Civil War.
Sonnet has had a passion for the written word from a very young age and enjoys nothing more than to read a good book. The worlds created by words. Some of her favourite authors include Laurell. K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Molly Harper and Rick Riordan.
Her own work tends to be worlds of Urban Fantasy, alternate reality and contains a heavy amount of magic, mystery and mythology.


Links:
My website – www.sonnetodell.com
THANKS FOR LOOKING!
Post a Comment