Saturday, August 20, 2011

Spotlight Interview with Paty Jager



ABOUT PATY JAGER:
Wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay; award winning author Paty Jager and her husband currently farm 350 acres when not dashing around visiting their children and grandchildren. She not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

Paty is a member of RWA, EPIC, and COWG. Wild Rose Press has published nine of her books. She is now venturing into the new world of self-publishing ebooks.  She edited for an e-publisher for four and a half years and teaches workshops at conferences, writers meetings, and online.

Visit Paty:
 blog |  website  | Facebook

Tell us about your current release.
I have two current releases -sort of- One is published by Wild Rose Press as a print and ebook and the other I self-published on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords for $.99.  The WRP book is the second book in my spirit trilogy set among the Nez Perce Indians. The trilogy involves sibling spirits who watch over the Lake Nimiipuu (Wallowa band of Nez Perce)  The spirits fall in love with mortals as they work to try and keep the Nimiipuu free. Spirit of the Lake is about Wewukiye the spirit of the lake who shifts from elk form to human form to help a young Nez Perce woman who has decided not living is better than bringing a child from a Whiteman's attack into the world. Together they reveal the wicked plans of the Whiteman to the Nez Perce people.

The other release is a historical western, Improper Pinkerton. It's set in Montana in the late 1800's. The heroine is a master at disguise and is on her first assignment as a Pinkerton agent. The hero is a U.S. Marshal hunting for a missing payroll. Their assignments are entwined and after a rocky start become not only allies, but lovers.

Tell us about your next release.
Same thing… I have two next releases. One is the third book in the Spirit trilogy, Spirit of the Sky. This time the heroine is the spirit. She shifts from bald eagle to woman to save her niece and they are saved by a cavalry officer. When he is in danger she helps him and their respect and love grow as the army chases the Nez Perce from their beloved home send them to the hated Oklahoma reservation far from the land of their fathers.

The other book soon to be released on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords is a combined effort. An author friend suggested we write a book together about two sisters who were adopted by different families when their parents were killed while traveling to the west. For a Sister's Love takes place as they begin their journey to find one another. Lauri Robinson wrote one sister's journey and I wrote the other. I hope to have this book up by September. I don't know when the last spirit book will be up.

Where do you research for your books?
I use the internet, non-fiction books, museums, historical societies, and people for my research. I enjoy researching for my stories. Whether they are historical or contemporary I spend considerable time researching aspects I'm not familiar with. I may read a whole book or interview a person on boot making and only brief references may be made to the information I gleaned but I hope they are used in a context which makes the reader understand the character, his profession, and capture an insight into the occupation. Usually one third of the time it takes me to write a book is spent on the research.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My husband learned many years ago when I wrote stories for my children that I’m not happy if I’m not writing. So while he doesn't read what I write he rarely says anything about the time I put in front of the computer or the research trips I make. As for the career, he'd like to see it be more of a money maker and less of a hobby.

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
I do have critique partners and I rely on them to help me keep my characters real, my story and plot moving along, and readers intrigued. When I get stuck I have different writers I go to for brainstorming.

What do you think makes a good story?
A well told story with engaging characters that you don't want to leave when the book has ended.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
I'm a little of both. When I get an idea for a book I begin my stewing and brewing phase. That's when I start forming the characters in my head and on paper. I have my plot idea or premise and start my research to see how I can make the historical facts play into the story if it's a historical or how the characters themselves will push the story forward. While I’m doing this, the beginning usually comes to me and then the ending. Once I've decided on the beginning and end of the book one or two turning points will come to me and I start the writing process.  Now and then the characters will change things up on me and the ending may be a bit different than when I started out but it always ends in a good way.

What group did you hang out with in high school?
I didn't hang out with any group. I could get along with anyone, but I tended to be a loner other than a couple of friends who weren’t in any of my classes. Before school and during the lunch hour I'd sit in the hall and read. Growing up in a small community books were my window to the world outside our valley.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

You can find my recent books at my publisher's website  in both print and ebook and my older books are up on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords for reasonable prices.

Could you please share a short excerpt from one of your books, please?

Sure! Here's a little snippet you might like.  

Excerpt for Spirit of the Lake

“You are not eating.” The deep voice laced with concern spun her shivers into waves of heat.
She opened her eyes and studied the man standing in front of her. His broad shoulders blocked the sun. Even with his eyes filled with concern the lines beside his eyes, which deepened when he smiled, remained. His full lips were perpetually tipped at the corners in mirth. The lightness he brought into her heart just by his presence, she had not felt since realizing her family believed she brought the sickness to her mother. No one had ever gazed upon her with such favor.
He knelt beside her, glanced at her stomach, and questioned with his eyes.
She nodded.
He placed a hand on her stomach. “You must gain strength.”
His encouraging words brought a smile to her face as his hand slowly moved in a circle. She studied his face, searching his eyes, skimming across his angular cheeks, ending at his full, inviting lips.                                               


I will give away a print book of Spirit of the Mountain to a randomly selected commenter. This book was chosen in the Lorie Contest as Best Paranormal. This giveaway ends Monday, August 29th 11:59PM CST. 


WINNER ANNOUNCED!!  Kristen Arnold  -  Congratulations! And thanks to all the commenters.

Laurie, Thank you for having me here.

Paty

Thanks for Looking!!

14 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Laurie, Thank you for inviting me to your blog!

DA Kentner said...

I find the concept of a trilogy built around the Nez Perce fascinating. Good for you. I'll defintely be checking out your work.

R. Ann Siracusa said...

Patty, these books are marvelous. I'm ready for the next one. I have no clue if my e-mail address shows on my profile, so here it is:
punkyc@pacbell.net

Kirsten Arnold said...

Paty,

All your new and upcoming releases sound wonderful. I can't wait for the next Spirit book.

kanavyhist@aol.com

Paty Jager said...

Thanks DA. The Spirit trilogy are the books of my heart.

R.Ann, do you mean you're ready for Spirit of the Sky? To my editor's ears. She's reading it right now.

Kirsten, Thanks! I'm waiting to see what my editor thinks of the last book too!

Diana Mcc. said...

I've enjoyed the first two books. You said some of your early releases are now available on Nook, would I type your name in and they should all come up on the screen? Great interview.

Thanks,
Diana dianamcc@vfr.net

Paty Jager said...

Diana, Yes,you should be able to put in my name and have my books come up on Nook.
Thanks!

Paty

Mary Lou Wilson said...

Paty, I love the excerpt! Looks like another fantastic book!!

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Mary Lou! Glad you could stop in.

desitheblonde said...

i will not be here when you give the book way but i am leaving my comment early and i like it a lot would love to do the book good on twitte and my face book and then on good reads
desitheblonde@msn.com

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Desi. I'd love it if everyone who reads my books would leave a like or review on sites that sell the books.

ann said...

I have never read this type of book before but this one sounds like a great one to start with

amhengst at verizon dot net

Paty Jager said...

Thanks Ann, I have definitely written a new subgenre.

Laurie said...

Thanks so much for all the comments and entries. The winner has been randomly selected from all eligible entries using Random.org. CONGRATS KRISTEN ARNOLD!!