Sunday, July 10, 2011

Spotlight Character Interview from Desire and Deception by Sharon Buchbinder

CHARACTER INTERVIEW

Hi Laurie--
It’s me, Isabel (Izzy) Ramirez, the hot heroine from Desire and Deception. Sharon Buchbinder told me you wanted me to ask a few questions. I’m not sure why she couldn’t do this herself, she knows me as well as I know myself. She took the liberty of giving a list of questions, so here we go.

To start with, here’s a great photo of me on the cover of Desire and Deception with my boy toy and new hubbie, Sean Richards. Isn’t he hawt?

He definitely looks scrumptious, Izzy - Good enough to eat!  You two look great together. Since we're on the topic of food (clears throat loudly and grins) What's your favorite meal?

(dark eyes sparkling innocently) My favorite meal is dinner. I like to get the three kids off to bed in their wing and have some me time with Sean. The cook prepares us a nice three course dinner--chicken mole is the best--and we kick back by the pool and relax with some wine. It’s so romantic. The moonlight, the soft conversation, skinny dipping. Of course the bodyguards always try to sneak a peek at us, but that’s part of the fun. I like having an audience when Sean and I are having dessert a la nude.
 
What group did you hang out with in high school?
I didn’t hang out with a group in high school. With a father who ran the biggest Mexican mob, no one wanted to piss me off, so they left me alone. Just as well because they were a bunch of snotty rich bitches. While I was studying to prepare for college, they were out getting high and drunk. My father and I were determined that I would be the first person in our family to graduate from college. Well, I did that and more. I have my PhD in Anatomy and Physiology and that comes in handy now that I’m in the family business.

Do you play any sports?
I wasn’t into the whole team thing. See above. I was what you would call a loner in high school. I took ballet lessons and horseback riding lessons. I still enjoy taking Nightrider, my black Arabian out for runs. He had a fright the other day, though. Some nut case staggered out of the bushes waving a machete at us. Good thing my bodyguard, Pepe, was there. He shot the lunatic in the leg. We’re still having some, shall we say, conversations with this guy, trying to figure out his real agenda.
 
What are you passionate about these days?
Family first--Sean and the kids, then my work comes second. My parents passed away and left me the family business. Even though I run a billion dollar transnational crime syndicate, at five in the evening everyone clocks out and it’s Mommy time. Sometimes there are emergencies, but with the executives I have in place now, those are rare. When Sean and I aren’t relaxing around the pool or playing with scarves and blindfolds, we play with the kids. Ramon worries me. He’s too serious for a little guy. I know he still misses his father, Tomas. But he’s so much better off without that loser in his life. I never tell him that, of course. Someday Ramon will thank me for killing his father.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
My favorite way to unwind and relax is to create new and exciting sex games for Sean and me to play. I’m toying with the idea of inviting my new accountant to play with us. He’s so hot. My nipples get hard when he walks in the room. I’d like to make an Izzy sandwich with Sean on one side and Torres on the other side and little old me in the middle. Whew. I’m getting wet just talking about it.

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
You are a buzz killer. Okay, one person I’d like to apologize to is the first nanny I had. I got pissed and killed her by accident. Then I had to kill a few other people to cover that up. What a PITA. Anyway, I used to have a temper problem, but Sean has helped me with anger management techniques.  I’m much better now. I have my guys do it if someone’s in my way. It’s just business now, nothing personal. And, if I can ever help Sarah Wright Rosen, to make amends for giving her a hard time, I’d do that in a heartbeat.

What would we find under your bed?
Well, not under my bed, but in the dresser next to my bed you would find silk scarves, ropes, handcuffs, flavored lubricants, and an assortment of sizes of dildos and vibrators. Whew. Is it hot in here or is it me?

What is the next big thing?
I’m getting out of the drug, gun and human trafficking business. I’ve decided to take the multinational corporation to a new level. We’re going into the banking business. A lot safer and something the kids can take over when they’re old enough without having to get their hands dirty. It’s a big project and I’ll still need my enforcers and bodyguards--but what bank doesn’t have a security team?

Do you have a Website or Blog?
Seeing as how I run a crime syndicate at the moment, no, I don’t. When we move into banking, however, we will. My buddy, Sharon Buchbinder has both. Her website is www.sharonbuchbinder.com and her Snap, Crackling and Popping Blog is at www.sharonbuchbinder.com/blog

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Sharon told me to say that she loves to hear from readers and she can be reached at sbuchbinder51(at)yahoo(dot)com

She also wanted to let you know that she’s working on the sequel to Desire and Deception, called Desire and Obsession. Sharon said to tell you and your readers that in this story a recovering addict must work with a Mexican drug lord to rescue her one-year old son from a cult leader who believes the child is the Chosen One. And yes, I will be in that book, too and just as hot as I was in the first one.

Sharon also said that she would give away one electronic copy of Desire and Deception to one person who comments on this interview.

Thanks so much Izzy for taking time out to chat with me here today. 

Readers, Remember to comment for a chance to win a FREE digital copy of this book, Desire and Deception - Sharon's newest release. Please don't forget to include your email address, especially if it is not readily available on your Google profile page. Entries will be open through Saturday, July 16th 11:59 PM CDT. The winner will be announced and contacted the following day. 

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Desire and Deception Excerpt (PG)
Dan’s forearm corded as he cast his fishing line. Brow furrowed under his lucky Ravens fishing cap, he aimed his baited hook under the waxy leaves.
After all this time, was Dan really hers?
He turned his head, raised his sunglasses, winked at her, and blew her a kiss. Her breath caught in her throat and a host of butterflies flapped around in her stomach.
Of course he was hers. They were on their honeymoon. What could possibly go wrong?
He shook a finger at her. "You better be thinking about something other than your job."
Sarah laughed out loud. "I am not thinking about work."
"No, you obsess about it."
"And you don’t about Randallstown Community Hosptial?"
He held the fishing pole with one hand like a jousting lance and cocked his head, considering her question. "As a vascular surgeon, I have to obsess over my work. The smallest of slip-ups can kill a patient."
"My work saves lives, too. I don’t have the instant gratification--or risk--that you do. But, if I improve one kid’s life with my work, then it makes it all worthwhile."
He nodded. "True. But no one dies if you don’t teach a class, go to a committee meeting, or publish a paper."
"If I don’t make the third year tenure review cut, my career at BMU will die. And I can pretty much forget about going anywhere else in Baltimore or DC. I’ll be considered damaged goods."
He frowned and flapped his hand at her. "Pffft. Not only is Bobbi your boss, she’s your friend. She put you on her five million dollar grant. With her in your corner, your tenure and promotion are a slam dunk."
Easy for him to say.
"If I don’t get a paper published in the Journal of Child Abuse Prevention, I’m out on the curb." Sarah should have gone to see Bobbi when her boss texted her at end of the Women in Science Conference on Sanibel three days ago. But Bobbi knew they planned to go across the water to Punta Gorda for their honeymoon. Sarah chewed on her lower lip. Typical Bobbi. Waiting until the very last minute of the conference to say she needed to talk in private, away from the other attendees.
Sarah patted her pants pockets and realized in her rush to get out the door, she’d left her cell at home. The sun’s glare pierced the side of her shades and she closed her eyes. What did Bobbi text? "Investigating a faculty member. Need your help. Trust no one. Tell no one." Though the air was hot and humid, Sarah shivered with an unexpected chill and crossed her arms to battle sudden goose bumps. Dan was right. She had to stop obsessing about work.
She opened her eyes and watched as two huge turkey vultures looped in eccentric circles and dove into the dense mangroves.
"Buzzards in paradise?" Sarah asked, not realizing she’d spoken aloud.
"Bet they’re after a wild pig that got stuck in the mangroves and died," the fishing captain said. "Don’t be surprised if we smell it soon."
Sarah wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Yuck. How would a pig get in there? Can you walk across the mangrove roots?"
Captain Fred made a perfect cast, removed his cap to scratch his shining scalp, and considered the question. A retired firefighter, only his balding head didn’t boast a Florida fisherman’s permanent tan.
"Nah, it’s tough going. You’d fall through. I tried it once. Didn’t get very far. Banged up my knees pretty good, but pigs don’t know that."
Dan hooked a mangrove branch and his bait fish dangled over the water.
Sarah teased, "Hey, Bushmaster, you trying to teach the snook to jump?"
"Captain Fred told me they can leap three feet in the air." A flash of silver popped out of the water. "See?"
She poked his arm. "That’s mullet--not snook."
"Ahh, bickering so soon?" The captain smiled. "You guys should be making love, not fighting."
Sarah stifled a giggle, but Dan was less successful at controlling his laughter. Captain Fred blushed up to the tips of his ears.
Sarah still found it hard to believe their small wedding was a scant two months ago. A Labor Day perfect ceremony. They were lucky in so many ways. Perfect weather. And there were no drunken brawls, thanks to Bobbi sponsoring her Mom at AA
"We don’t fight," Dan said. "We have discussions."
"Yeah. Loud ones." Sarah laughed. "Followed by great make up--umm--sessions." She began to reel in her line. Dan leaned over and gave her a salty kiss. Momentarily distracted by the touch of his tongue on her bottom lip, she was startled by a sudden heavy tug. She laughed and called out, "Here fishy, fishy, fishy." She pulled hard on unyielding weight. "I think I caught a mangrove root."
"Could be a nurse shark or a big manta ray. Keep the tip of your pole up," Captain Fred yelled from the front of the twenty-two foot Ranger. "Slow down. Dip and reel."
Twenty minutes later, her shoulders and arms ached, cork and metal rod slipped in her hands, and sun block-soaked sweat stung her eyes. She stopped for a moment, wiped her brow, and looked over her shoulder at Dan. "Want to reel for a while?"
"It’s not your fish if you don’t get it to the boat," the Captain warned.
Right about then not a huge selling point in Sarah’s mind.
Grunting at the effort, she pulled back on the pole as hard as she could. Finally, her catch broke the surface of the water. Eyes still burning, she stepped back to pull it closer to the boat--and saw a bloated corpse in a neon orange bikini.



About the Author
                                                                                                                  
Sharon Buchbinder got into a lot of trouble for when she was a child for "making things up." After working in health care delivery for years, she became a researcher, then an academic. But that itch to write kept beckoning her to "come on back" to writing fiction. Since romance has over a dozen sub-genres, she was able to turn her fascination with horror and mystery into erotic, paranormal and romantic suspense. When not writing she can be found reading, fishing, working out, golfing or enjoying a good meal and laughter with friends and family. 

I want to thank Izzy for giving us a glimpse into her character and background, and Sharon, also, for creating such a tough, mysterious, mischevious woman.  Remember to comment for a chance to win a FREE digital copy of this book, Desire and Deception - Sharon's newest release. Please don't forget to include your email address, especially if it is not readily available on your Google profile page. Entries will be open through Saturday, July 16th 11:59 PM CDT. The winner will be announced and contacted the following day.  

16 comments:

practimom said...

Oh, I love Izzy. What a great interview! Yes, Izzy, Sean is super hot and i am insanely jealous he is yours!

Christy M

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hi Christy--

Thanks for stopping by and visiting with us. Yes, Sean is HAWT and a sweetheart.

Izzy ;)

Loni Lynne said...

Izzy,
I love your style. You seem to be the kind of woman we all want to be at one point or another--you just follow through with the action!
Best of luck to you, your family and your future endeavors in banking. Now take that hot hubby to bed, or the kitchen counter, or shower . . . wherever! LOL

Loni Lynne

Carly Carson said...

I love Izzy too. Great interview and funny. The excerpt was good too. I didn't see that corpse coming.

Laurie said...

Hi! and Thanks for coming by....I agree with everyone, Izzy seems like a woman who knows what she wants and goes for it.

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hi Loni--Thanks for coming by! I heard from Sharon that you were in the Navy, so I bet you've kicked a few asses in your time! And what about those Navy SEALS? Talk about hawt! Phew. Some put the AC on!

Izzy ;)

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hey, Carly! Thanks for stopping by. The corpse, God, if only Sarah hadn't pulled that out of the harbor. Would have saved everybody a lot of trouble if she'd just stayed in bed with her cute hubby. *sigh*

Izzy ;)

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hey Laurie, you know how to throw a party! Where's the tequila?

Izzy ;)

Laurie said...

Right here, Izzy....but watch for the worm!! LOL

Kate Dolan said...

Fun interview! She is definitely a memorable character. Can't imagine if I'd had a mom like that...

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hi Kate--

Thanks for stopping by. I don't know about the girls, but Ramon's thinking of becoming a priest, of all things! Where did I go wrong?

Izzy ;)

Laurie said...

Ye Gads.....No way! Surely you jest, Izzy! LOL Though I guess our kids will always manage to surprise us by taking off in new directions.

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Laurie--I know, it's crazy. He walks around blessing us and saying he'll pray for our souls. I ask you, what's a mobster mom to do??

Izzy ;)

Darlene said...

Izzy sounds like a great character!

Please enter me in the draw!

I'm following you on GFC (Darlene), and my email address is darlenesbooknook at gmail dot com.

Thanks for the giveaway!

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hey Darlene--

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope you enjoy my story!

Izzy ;)

Laurie said...

Sorry all, have been having internet problems again. Darlene is the winner of a FREE copy of Desire and Deception! Thanks everyone else and better luck next time.