Monday, April 18, 2011

Featured Author Spotlight Interview with N. R. Williams


"I've been inventing fantastical stories since I started talking eons ago. It's fun to create new creatures and new worlds or to elaborate on this one."

Laurie:  Good morning, N.R.!  I am so pleased to have this opportunity to get to know a little more about you and your recently published high fantasy novel, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

N.R.:  Thank you, Laurie for having me on your blog. I really appreciate it.

Laurie:  Who is your favorite character in your book and what can you say about him that will make us love him, too?

N.R.:  Hands down, my favorite character is Prince Healden. He is everything I would love to find in a man. Intelligence, sense of humor, brave, loyal, thoughtful…I could go on. In fact, when I developed him, I purposely planned that he would be wonderful.  He is manly yet sensitive.

Laurie:  Ummm, yes. He sounds pretty darn near perfect to me, also. Could you please share a short excerpt for us? 

N.R.:  Sure! Happy to. This is from very early in the book and will give you an idea of Prince Healden's personality.

The resounding whack caused Healden to stop.

“Of all the fools I have ever had in my service, you are an oaf unequaled in negligence.” Meldan raised his rod for another strike.

“Come Meldan,” Healden said, “What has the boy done to displease you so?”

“Look at my cape.” Meldan thrust the material at Healden.

Healden gazed at the burgundy silk. “Why?”

Meldan’s face contorted into a frown. He pointed. “Here.”  A small stain darkened the hem of the garment.

“I warned you against bringing your fine clothes.”

“I will not be forced to wear rags.”

Meldan’s face became so red that Healden thought steam might come off it.  He suppressed his smile.  It would only serve to make the duke angrier.

We have nothing available to clean the silk here in Northwode, your Grace, beating your servant will hardly change that.”

“A man of nobility must keep the commoners in submission.”

“Not all agree with you, Meldan.  The people of Gil-Lael deserve respect and fair treatment.  The King has worked tirelessly to ensure that old attitudes change and I will do the same.” Healden turned his gaze on the boy.  His tunic was muddy and torn along the hem and a welt had formed on his cheek where the rod had hit him. “What is your name?”

“Tyesis, Highness.”

“If you beat Tyesis again, he will no longer serve you.  I will find work for the boy.  Now if you will excuse me, I have business.” Healden left.    

--------------end of excerpt--------------


Laurie:  So, what do you have going on these days?  Your first book is out and from the reviews I’ve seen, readers are really taking to it.  What next?

N.R.:  I am currently working on the sequel to The Treasures of Carmelidrium titled, The Rise of Lord Sinon. I have at least four books in this series and am open to doing more. In addition to that I have two novellas I’m developing and I have written a short story, titled, The Magic of Windlier Woods. My short story will be available as a FREE e-book soon. In fact, I just received news that The Magic of Windlier Woods will be available on Amazon in Kindle format next week and it should be available on Smashwords within the next several weeks.  Yippee!!



Laurie:  Wow! That’s a lot of irons in the fire! I’ve just started reading The Treasures of Carmelidrium and I can tell you this, it’s positively engrossing. For you, what is the hardest part of writing a book?

N.R.:  Invariably I always come to a part where the story needs something special. Right in the middle. I contact my critique group and have a pow wow. Then I come away with several possibilities to make the story shine.

Laurie:  So you have critique partners. Tell us more how it all works and comes together for you.

N.R.:  Yes, I have been in a critique group for over 16 years. This is changing, since once you're published you don’t have time for a slow pace. I have an agreement with two fellow authors and bloggers to exchange work. Once that is done I send it to an editor, after making all the corrections I have another friend, writer, fellow blogger who will be my Beta Reader. The writing community is full of wonderful people.


Laurie:  How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?

N.R.:  This changes with each story. One of my current stories has a bird as the protagonist. When I developed this story I knew I wanted a new series. I also knew I didn’t want to do vampires, werewolves or dragons. I wanted something no one was doing. After months of thinking about it I finally decided on this bird. She is strong, brave and compassionate. I will tell you, she doesn’t remain a bird for very long. Hint, hint.

Laurie:  Cool! That does sound different…and intriguing.  Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

N.R.:  Yes, and this is important, don’t ignore what I’m about to say. You need to write, read in the genre you’re writing in, read books on writing or search the web for blogs that share the same information, you need to connect with other writers, be in a critique group, attend workshops or conferences, take classes if workshops are not available. In other words, spend time learning your craft. In addition, your friends and family are not good critique partners and editors. They love you and don’t want to hurt your feelings.

Laurie:  That seems like very sound advice, to me. Thanks so much for so succinctly summing up such important and universal recommendations. Do you have a Website or Blog?

N.R.:  Yes, here’s the URL for my blog: http://nrwilliams.blogspot.com/

Laurie:  Well, that’s about all we have for today. So, in closing, do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

N.R.:  Without my readers I am nothing. I’d love to communicate with you, meet your book club and hear your thoughts.

Laurie:  Awesome!  Thanks so much for talking with us here today and for sharing your insights and thoughts on the art of writing. I’ve enjoyed this and wish you the very best going forward. I know you will do very well in all your ongoing endeavors.

Reader's - Take a look at this wonderful 5 Star Review from Becky on Goodreads.


Post a Comment