Sunday, February 27, 2011

Author Spotlight Interview with Anne Patrick

Bio: Anne Patrick is the author of more than a dozen novels of Romance, Mayhem & Faith, including the award-winning and best-selling Fire and Ash, Lethal Dreams and Sabotage.  Her heroines are usually strong willed, witty, and often very opinionated…combinations that usually land them in situations where death seems imminent.  Anne has an alter ego by the name of Kinzie Monroe, who writes Inspirational Romance.  Anne, you might say, is the dark side of Kinzie.  Anne’s books may be darker in subject matter, but they all carry messages of hope and faith.  Born and raised in Oklahoma, she now makes her home in Kansas.

Laurie:  Hi Anne. Thanks so much for taking the time to visit with me a while today.  I am so happy to have this opportunity to chat with you and find out more about the books you write.  I understand that you actually have two new releases just out. Tell me about those?

Anne:  Sabotage is my latest novel.  Here is a short blurb about it: District Judge Katie McKinley takes her career very seriously.  No one knows that better than her old childhood friend and first love, Graham Bishop.  Her ruling cost him his family’s ranch.  So it’s no surprise when an attempt is made on her life the sheriff turns his suspicions to Graham. As the two rekindle their love for one another, Katie refuses to believe Graham is guilty.  But what if she’s wrong? 

I also have a short story included in a Mystery/Suspense Anthology by Victory Tales Press, just out March 1st, titled Dangerous Deception.  Here's a blurb about it:  Gwen Jacobs thrived on dangerous assignments, until the massacre of an African village. She is offered a chance at redemption by accompanying Jack Peterson and his small group of humanitarians to report on the atrocities taking place amidst a civil war. When her secrets are revealed, will she lose the only man she’s ever really loved?

Laurie:  What’s next for you?  Tell us about your next release.

Anne:  I have a new book coming out May 1st titled A Familiar Evil:  Jordan Russell had the perfect life until the brutal monster from her childhood resurfaced, opening up scars she thought were healed.  With the hope of finally finding closure Jordan leaves her cheating husband, and her career in the FBI, and returns to where her nightmare began.  But what awaits her in Thorny Creek will push her to the very edge of sanity and bring her face to face with her abductor.

Laurie:  WOW! Nobody can accuse you of slacking off – That’s for sure!  All three of those sound exciting to me – mystery, romance, danger – the perfect recipe for entertainment.  J
***********
Laurie:  What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Anne:  Often times I have to stop midstream and work on edits for an upcoming release.  Sometimes it's hard to get back in my zone.  You also have to stay on top of your promotion game.  It gives the phrase multi-tasking a whole new meaning, but I love doing it!

Laurie:  I can totally believe that and can sympathize. You have to be very organized and dedicated to be able to juggle several projects at once. Where do you research for your books?

Anne:  Thorough research is one of the most important steps you'll take in the writing process.  You want to take great care in making sure you've done your homework.  I begin my research online and with books.  I then try to find someone who is well versed in the subject/career I'm writing about. A good example is my novel Fire and Ash.  Several months of research went into it's creation, involving books and the internet.  To make sure I got my facts straight I enlisted the help of a wonderful man named Keith Tarbox.  He is the fire investigator I corroborated with to make sure my fire scenes were plausible and that my character was believable. His help was invaluable.  Not only did he take time out of his busy schedule to answer all my questions he read the manuscript and made some suggestions that gave the book more depth.  His insights and the real life experiences he shared helped me to get inside Sadie's head and really get to know her. In all honesty, this books success is due largely to his willingness to help out a nagging author.

Laurie:  Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?
 
Anne:  I usually listen to music while I'm writing.  I have a vast assortment of tunes ranging from Ozzy Osbourne to Classical.  What can I say, I'm an odd character :-).

Laurie:  If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?

Anne:  As a matter of fact I just started a series titled 'Wounded Heroes'.  It's an inspirational romantic suspense series centered around military personnel.  Each book is a stand alone, the last four taking place on the mysterious Dauphine Island.  The first book, Kill Shot, is scheduled to release November 15th.  Kill Shot is about former combat medic Kory Wagner.  After three tours in Iraq, she returns home suffering from PTSD.  That's the least of her problems, though.  The same person who murdered her sister now has their sights on Kory.  Just as disturbing is the handsome sheriff working the case.

Laurie:  That is an Interesting, as well as relevant situation around which to structure a suspense novel. Sounds like another winner to me.

*********
Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert?

Anne:  Oh, they definitely think I'm an introvert and they're right!  I think a lot of writers are.  We need our quiet space so we can tell the stories that are rambling around in our heads.

Laurie:  Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Anne:  Must definitely!  I'd like to thank everyone who has purchased my books.  I appreciate your support and inspiration.  I also thank you for the kind emails.  They always brighten my day.

I'd also like to thank you, Laurie, for allowing me to visit today and share a little bit about me and my books.  If your readers would like to learn more, I welcome them to visit my website: http://www.annepatrick.weebly.com or blog: http://www.suspensebyanne.blogspot.com

Laurie:  Thank you so much Anne for sharing some your ideas and insights into a few of the exciting mysteries you have written.  I am so looking forward to following your successes. It’s been a pleasure!

9 comments:

Lisa Alexander Griffin said...

Very nice interview, Anne. I loved learning more about you and the stories you write. Each and every title looks fascinating, but something about Fire and Ash really draws me in.

Anne Patrick said...

Thanks, Lisa! I'm glad you dropped by. I appreciate the support.

Danielle Thorne said...

Anne, I can't wait for your May release! *jumping up and down* It sounds awesome! You are such a talented author and I enjoy following your books. Best of luck!

Anne Patrick said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Danielle. Your support means a lot to me!

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Anne,
I enjoyed the interview. I like the multi-tasking comparison. Your new book sounds so good. I'll be looking forward to it. It sounds just as suspenseful as the great one I already read.

Anne Patrick said...

Hi Gail, thank you so much for dropping by and for your kind words!

Hugs,
Anne

Gina said...

Hi Anne & Hi Laurie,
What an interesting interview! It was great to learn a little more about you, Anne, like you enjoying Ozzie, besides being such an unbelieveably awesome writer. Good luck with your books...& you have a release in May? Wow!! Hope you will come & visit for your blog tour!!! Laurie, your blog is just beautiful!
Hugs and blessings,
Regina

Laurie said...

Hi Gina, Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate that you like the look of my blog...I love changing it up! :-)

Anne Patrick said...

Gina, to coin one of your phrases, you're such a hoot! Thank you for your wonderful comments! Best of luck to you too, my friend.

Laurie, thanks again for having me on your lovely blog!