Sunday, January 30, 2011

Interview with Lori Pescatore

Laurie:  Hello, Lori.  Thanks so much for taking time out to visit with me today.

Lori: Hey Laurie. Thanks so much for having me!

Laurie:  You are a school teacher as well as a writer. How has your profession influenced your writing?

Lori: Well, I teach preschoolers, and I have written some children books, as well. Several are currently in a contest that is sponsored by Cheerios. I should know how I did with those new books in July sometime.

For Human Blend, I may have pulled a line or two from work, like marshmallow feet. :)

Laurie:  Where do you get the ideas that you write about?

Lori:  The ideas come from the characters in my head. It is their story I am telling. Sometimes when I have an idea and I sit down to write it, it comes out completely different.

Laurie:  Some authors like to outline and plan out their story in advance while I’ve talked to others who just basically sit down to write and the story flows forth. What kind of writer are you?

Lori: My first book in the Blend Series was not outlined. The characters told the story. For the next two in the series, I have an idea of where the story will go, but sometimes the characters and I disagree, so, it's anyone's guess. There was only one time during the writing of Human Blend that I changed a scene. The character was revealing too much too soon so I had to temper them.

Laurie: How about sharing a short excerpt from Human Blend with us today, please?

Lori:  Sure! I’m happy to do that. Here it is.

     Eli stepped towards her, but she backed up. “No. Don't come near me. I need to explain this to you; make you understand. I watched them die. They made me watch. They wouldn't let me go to them,” she said, her voice racked with pain. “I had to watch them suffer and die, and I could do nothing!” Julie dropped to her knees as the memory took over. “It was to teach me a lesson. To show me they can hurt me by going after people I care about,” Julie let out a pained laugh. “I didn't learn my lesson.”

     She closed her eyes. She felt drained. When Eli came to her, she didn't push him away. He was on the floor next to her. Julie let him envelope her in his arms and cradle her. Her arms wrapped around his neck, and she felt him lift her off the floor.

     He carried her to the sofa and whispered in her ear. “I'm not like the other people who helped you. I've survived for hundreds of years,” Eli said. Julie looked up at him as he continued. “I am similar to a type of mythological creature told of in some books, although I am not one of them,” Eli explained. “I have some traits that could be labeled as human, although I am not one of those, either. There are others like me, but we do not congregate, preferring instead to live solitary lives among the humans. Most of us dedicate our lives to a craft, and perfect it to the best of our abilities. My chosen craft is medicine,” Eli told. Julie stayed silent, drinking in his words. “I can protect you, Julie. I've entrusted you with some information about myself. Now I need you to entrust your safety and well being to me,” he finished.

     Julie touched his face, absorbing everything he had told her. “You feel human,” she said, and smiled. He duplicated her action.

     “So do you,” he said.

     “I don't even know enough about myself to tell you anything,” Julie said.

 --------------End of Excerpt---------------

Laurie: I read Human Blend last year and just loved it.  Now you are working on a sequel. Could you give us a little teaser giving us a glimpse of which character will play a pivotal role in the story?

Lori:  Well in Human Blend I introduced a new fantasy paranormal creature and the second book's first 6 chapters will act as a prequel giving you some background information on them and how they came to be. It also explains how the Blends came to be and what their agenda really is, or what they want you to think it is. :) I'm really excited about this book. It will of course pick up in the 7th chapter where the first one left off.

Laurie: What kind of books did you enjoy reading as a child?

Lori:  My mom and sister as well as myself were all avid readers. Bi-monthly trips to the library were mandatory. I read a lot of what I read now. My mom always loved paranormal books. We both loved VC Andrews and Dean Koontz. She loved medical mystery books. I wish she could have read mine.

Laurie:  What are your suggestions to parents who want to know how to encourage their children to read more?

Lori:  Kids learn by imitating. I think you have to be a reader yourself in order for it to stick.  Of course reading to/with your children every night is a great start. Even when my kids got older, I would sit in the hallway between their rooms and read parts of a big chapter book to them before bed. To this day my oldest always has a book with him while my youngest son prefers to read electronically.

Laurie: What advice can you share with us as far as promoting your books that you think will be beneficial to other newer authors who want to see increased sales?

Lori: I've done pretty well with the marketing, I think, I'm sure others have done better. I'm at 300 books sold in 7 months. The best way to market is to generate interest by talking about it on approved forums and getting bloggers to review your book. I really think the blogging community has been the reason for my success. I am so grateful to them for their honest critique. I'm not a blogger myself but a lot of authors have had great success with blogs of their own. You have to be a part of the social media scene, facebook and twitter especially.

Laurie: Where can your fans find you hanging out?

Lori:  Online they can find my author facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lori-Pescatore-Author/141156271014
 I'm always checking it and answering questions and posting updates.  They can also follow me on Twitter @preteach99.

Laurie:  Do you have your own website or any plans for setting one up soon?

Lori:  I think I will set up a website sometime later in the year when I have time. Time... I keep forgetting what that is. I'll be sure to update you when I have it up and running. The facebook address above is currently the best place to contact me.

Laurie: Is there anything else you would like to mention today that I should have brought up and didn’t?
 
Lori:  I guess just that I am shooting for an April release of the second in The Blend Series. The book is yet untitled.

Laurie:  Thank you again.  I so appreciate this opportunity to chat with you and wish you all the very best in your future endeavors.

Lori:  Thank you so much, Laurie, for the chance to publicize my book and for your original questions.

END OF INTERVIEW

Below are Links to a few of the many reviews that have praised Human Blend (Lori Pescatore’s debut novel)

Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews
Kelsey's Book Corner
Ellz Readz's Reviews
Stories and Sweeties
All About YA Books
Thoughts of a Book Junky
Moonlight Gleam
Authors by Authors
Reviews on Amazon
Once upon a Trilight {Brand New!!}

Select Photos from Lori's first ever book signing
Doylestown, PA  Dec 14, 2010
See more event photos on Lori’s Facebook Page









6 comments:

E.J. Stevens said...

Wonderful interview! I'm looking forward to reading Human Blend and excited to hear the second book in The Blend Series is coming soon.
xx,
E.J.
From the Shadows

tlynnetolles said...

Great Interview Laurie...Can't wait for your sequel!

missleanore said...

Human Blend is a wonderful read,I hear and now another? I so love Lori's attitude and outlook. I feel good things coming for this author.
Laurie J/ Good job!

night owl in IL said...

Hi Lori - Nice interview. I do have 'Human Blend' on my wish list. Best of luck to you on your children's book(s) in the contest.

Keep up the good work!

Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Hey...awesome interview! Now this is a blog I'll have to visit more often! I like it over here!

Hugs
Hawk

Laurie said...

Thanks so much for all your great comments. Just about the time we were putting this interview together poor Lori and her husband BOTH got sick with a nasty Bronchitis strain...Lori's was also complicated by sinusitus. I read a post from Lori yesterday, I think, that said she is feeling better but her hubby is still fighting it. I KNOW this nasty, cold weather can't be helping matters any as they live up north. Brrrr... Anyway send good thoughts for a speedy recovery. And thanks again for visiting a leaving a comment.